Suddenly: Problems with lossless codecs (Lag/Huffy)

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Suddenly: Problems with lossless codecs (Lag/Huffy)

Post by Kevmaster » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:50 pm

Well, out of sudden I get problems with both lossless codecs Huffyuv and Lagarith. Note: These errors started to appear once I updated from Vegas 11 test version to full version. (I'm not sure if that could have somehow caused the error but it was pretty much at the same time)

Lagarith:

This is how some parts of the video files look like both on playback in any mediaplayer and in the editing software. It only happens to a few frames but is very noticable.

I'm getting this error when I try to convert the files with virtualdub/mod.

When trying to render the files (edited or unedited), Vegas crashes once it hits the "infected" frames (only when rendering, not while playback)

Huffyuv:

I just cannot get the huffy files into the software anymore. Playback and converting doesn't cause any error at all.

Tried re-installing both codecs which didn't help at all.

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Re: Suddenly: Problems with lossless codecs (Lag/Huffy)

Post by Kevmaster » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:27 pm

I have just noticed I seem to get the same error as with the huffy file on certain xvid (.avi) and .mp4 files. This is really weird.

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:32 pm

I suspect it's a problem with the files themselves and possibly Vegas; but since there are a number of things going on here, I would suggest starting from the beginning and re-doing everything.

If there's a chance your registry is screwed up, CCleaner sometimes helps.
Then install programs from the latest AMVapp
Then, the obligatory "Reinstall the latest CCCP via right-click > run as admin..."
Then, try loading the file into VirtualDub or AvsPmod through AviSynth
If that is possible, then you can convert them to something that does work with vegas, or frameserve.

And if that still doesn't work, it's likely a problem with Vegas or the files themselves;
possibly incompatible codec versions between the video files and the installed codecs on your computer.

So, IDK...maybe reinstall Vegas or new/old/different codec versions if you have to.
And if the problem is just at certain frames, you'll maybe have to split the file around the corrupted frame(s) using VirtualDub.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:13 pm

Lagarith occasionally corrupting frames like that has been a possibility under certain circumstances for a very long time (as in, I've been running into it periodically since the first versions back in 2004, and is largely the reason - along with Premiere just not wanting to display it in the editing and playback windows - why I don't edit with Lagarith). I would *hope* that maybe it's finally been fixed with the most recent versions (1.3.27 as of 2011 December 8th), but I still don't expect it. You could try Ut Video or FFV1 if the issues with Lagarith and HuffYUV can't be resolved.

However, since Lagarith decoding is now fully supported by libavcodec (from what I can tell), you could try to see if it's capable of handling it without this happening. I've only casually tested the fflagarith decoder, so I've not seen whether it completely averts the issue. You could try running it through FFMS2 (or an ordinary recent build of ffmpeg) and see it if solves the problem - so long as the error hasn't been hardcoded into the video stream, anyway.

Due to some multithreading-related fixes, FFMS2 should probably be updated anyway.
a build of r700 JEEB posted in the FFMS2 development thread

another C-plugin build of mine, also r700 (remember what was necessary to make it work last time, because I haven't changed anything about where it tries to look for the .dll)
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:21 pm

I guess I should clarify a little. I mean that

If the error only exists in the file that Vegas renders out,
A) Then try exporting with Ut Video or FFV1.
If A doesn't work either,
B) Convert your source files to Ut Video or FFV1 using another tool (whether a combination of a script loading them with FFMS2 or directly through ffmpeg, etc.) and then reload them into Vegas, as the error could be occurring while Vegas attempts to decode the source files, resulting in a corrupted output. It'd probably also be a good idea to export using Ut or FFV1 with the re-encoded source files, just to minimize the risk of anything weird happening.

If the source files already have these corrupted frames in them and it's not just Vegas doing it during the rendering process, you're pretty much screwed.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Return to “Video & Audio Help”