explanatory note for off-site amv linking

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

explanatory note for off-site amv linking

Post by Kevmaster » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:36 am

This is something that actually bothered me for all my time being on the org, but it got even more annoying now that youtube links are actually allowed to be added to the database. (I actually tried finding a thread that explains why but haven't..if anyone could elaborate on why they are allowed now, I'd be grateful)

An extremly high percentage of users don't seem to understand the differences between INDIRECT and DIRECT download. It has happened to me fairly often that I went on the download page and wanted to download the supposed DIRECT download by right click -> save file as and all I got on my computer was the html file instead of the video.

Now there's even a new issue with all the youtube links. Most are added as DIRECT. Of course the video starts right when I click on the link, but shouldn't this be INDIRECT because I cannot directly download the video on my computer? What bothers me even more is that you cannot see it's actually not downloadable but only a youtube-stream beforehand. For example, I just went to a direct download which was labeled as .wmv and it was only the stream. Even if the file was uploaded as .wmv shouldn't it be listed as .flv?

What I'm suggesting is an explanatory note on the actual Edit Videos-step about what is considered DIRECT and what is actually an INDIRECT link. That would help to keep the information correct.
I'm also suggesting a third option to chose which could be called "STREAM" or something similiar (as PREVIEW has already been taken for local-streaming) which would be used for off site streaming-links.
Last edited by Kevmaster on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Re: explanatory note for off-site amv linking

Post by Arigatomina » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:59 am

Suggestions were made about that very issue in this thread:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 5&t=108345
The org won't touch the issue so long as the restructuring is going on. The mods won't even add a sentence about it to one of the sticky posts. It really sucks.

You can try PM'ing people yourself and explaining the difference between direct and indirect. Some people actually change their links when you do that. Or you can just stick with local links. It's the only sure way to keep the org from sending you to the tube.

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:54 am

whole heartedly agree with you my friend :up: stream would be a much better term.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:21 am

Except for the other reason to have indirect links - stuff that can't be hosted here due to gore or adult content.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”