Editing posts

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Editing posts

Post by pacotacoshell » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:59 am

Is there a reason why some sections don't allow post editing on them? I get sad when I have to double post sometimes. ;__;

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Editing posts

Post by mirkosp » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:23 am

There had been a few occasions of editing abuse in the past, so editing was limited to sections where it is a necessity. At a certain point in time, since there was a constant request for it, it was given to donators... it was abused right after that too, but eh, it was left to donators only anyway. Either way, generally you are supposed to just check for typos and such in the preview before posting. If the double post is due to things you think afterward or stuff like that, then you could always request to a mod to merge the posts if it's that important to you. :P

If you are wondering how you can abuse the edit button, it's when you do stuff like completely blanking a post (especially the OP post), thus rendering the rest of the thread basically useless, or changing completely the meaning of a post after somebody replies to it and stuff like that. Generally one would be able to trust the userbase enough to risk on that, but it seems we can't do that here (I assume that what Tom the Fish did to the catalog left a sign too big).

Cyrix
Org Profile

Post by Cyrix » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:28 am

Could you make it so you can edit the post until someone replies to it?

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:46 am

Unfortunately not. We looked into a patch for phpbb, but it strictly works exclusively on a per forum basis rather than being group/permission-based, so in order for normal users to have a time limited edit button of sorts, donators would have to be limited to that as well.
If somebody is willing to code a phpbb solution that adds a time limited edit button based on both user group AND forum, this could very well be done, but as we lack dedicated coders for this (the few active coders are currently involved in the main site rewrite I believe), we can't do it ourselves.

Still, if editing a certain post is absolutely a necessity, you can always request it to be edited by leaving a post about it in the mod drop box or by contacting a mod through some other mean (such as pm or chat), and it should get done in a timely fashion (a few hours wait tops, I would hope). Or you could donate since the org is that awesome. :awesome:

You can also feel free to double post corrections/addendums, and if I come across the posts, I'll be sure to merge them (I believe other mods do this too). Just try to not do that too much. :P

Cyrix
Org Profile

Post by Cyrix » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:29 am

All right, gotcha. Thanks. I actually have a job now, I should donate some money...

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”