What really makes a good editor? Or a good AMV...

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Emong
A Damaged Lemon
Org Profile

Re: What really makes a good editor? Or a good AMV...

Post by Emong » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:57 pm

The discussion above reminds me of something quite vulgar but interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PktUzdnBqWI

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:11 pm

Yeah... I'll be needing a separate thread to come up with a half-decent answer:

The Truth about AMVs

I think it all comes down to understanding how Subjectivity is borne of Objectivity.
Basically, just break things down into their component parts, and you'll see how things are made.
And that works with everything-- not just AMVs.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

Ikore
Org Profile

Post by Ikore » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:48 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:I can't even make sense of your incoherent rambling.
There are things collectively understood to be marks of quality - if there were not, you wouldn't have people going to school to learn about and obtain degrees in artistic fields. There would be nothing to teach.
Ikore wrote:Good is a matter of perception.
:bear:, if Im wrong, I should consider good what the rest of the world tell me so.
SING! Never mind the words!!!

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:24 pm

Ikore wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:I can't even make sense of your incoherent rambling.
There are things collectively understood to be marks of quality - if there were not, you wouldn't have people going to school to learn about and obtain degrees in artistic fields. There would be nothing to teach.
Ikore wrote:Good is a matter of perception.
:bear:, if Im wrong, I should consider good what the rest of the world tell me so.
Yeah, but do you even know how your own perception works? I hate to break it to you, but come to the realization that the world knows more about how your own brain perception works than you do. But does this mean that all the popular crap the world shows you is good? Hell no. The world just tries to exploit people that don't know any better. That's why 90% of stuff you see is crap, and it's a shame...

But have you never wondered WHY you think something is good? I mean, if something is good... sure you can say you 'know' it's good, but it's 'goodness' is based on something. You are not just some omnipotent all-knowing viewer, judge, and jury of what is considered 'Good,' to the point that the answer just comes to you. Your brain does TONS of things that you are not even aware of... and that is where rules and standards, and art theory come from. As an example, look up Rule of Thirds.
------------------------

Also,
Emong wrote:The discussion above reminds me of something quite vulgar but interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PktUzdnBqWI
Great link :up:

Ikore
Org Profile

Post by Ikore » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:55 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:You are not just some omnipotent all-knowing viewer, judge, and jury of what is considered 'Good,'.
but I am, it's my mind and it's supposed of me to be master of my likes. even if it is genetically predisposed, or the art "science" states it to be beautiful, if everyone would like the same stuff, it would be boring and the advertising industry would be over too.
Phantasmagoriat wrote: Also,
Emong wrote:The discussion above reminds me of something quite vulgar but interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PktUzdnBqWI
Great link :up:
yeah it was pretty interesting.

and then the question, arts are meant to satisfy the audience or the artist?. is it enough for an artist to people find his work acceptable?
The best artists keep doing what they feel is right, true and fulfilling.
:up:

are we doing amv for other people to like them? are we trying to fit in a "good" mold? for me, it´s all about expression, i like this anime, i like this music and I want to set them together, all the technique can help me to improve, but Im not necessary bound to them; it´s expression, the only thing that should matter is the unique connection you have created, as I've read before "I edit for myself".

but I won't deny as Denis Dutton said: a hard work is always notorious.

Ikore
Org Profile

Post by Ikore » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Ikore wrote:notorious.
x noticeable -ejem ejem....

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:17 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:But have you never wondered WHY you think something is good? I mean, if something is good... sure you can say you 'know' it's good, but it's 'goodness' is based on something.
Do people really not think about why they consider something good? I took it for granted that everyone knows the difference between their personal feelings and the standards set up by the community. That's why I have two definitions of good when it comes to amvs. Good according to popular opinion on the org, and good according to me. Good on the org means it's put together well, compressed well, is well-made. Great on the org means it's well-made and follows the conventions considered good by the people who are considered good editors here. Good according to me means I liked it. I wish I had made it myself. I enjoyed watching it. I want to share it with my friends. I envy the creator and am grateful to have been given a vid I feel something good about. I apply the same logic to all my entertainment. I can see that the movies I enjoy and consider good are crappily made and would be considered bad by the popular standards, and particularly the critics' standards. I have books I've reread a thousand times that are considered horrible and if I were reading them as an editor I would mark them as such. I still think they're good, personally, because I like them, but I know they're bad to the rest of the world.

I can't believe that people here can't make that distinction. I know the unwashed masses are supposed to be stupid, but this is the org. People here must know the difference between their own opinions, the opinions of this community as a whole, and the opinions of those outside the community. They have to know because they've been complaining about those differences for years. If we all didn't know there is a difference, there would be no need to have separate vcas to compare the choice of the viewers and the choice of the editors (or elite editors chosen by editors).

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:47 am

Ikore wrote:and then the question, arts are meant to satisfy the audience or the artist?. is it enough for an artist to people find his work acceptable?
I think that depends on what the artist was trying to achieve in the first place. If they want to make something, say, and AMV, for the purpose of satisfying an itch, then their art accomplishes what they want. If they want to make other people happy; or spread a message and connect with their audience, then the art isn't so much about the artist anymore. Now if the artist doesn't know what they are trying to achieve in the end... well then therein lies a big problem... especially when they run into failure. Because often, an artist just wants their work to be successful; but that's probably the worst reason for making anything. Of course, it get's more complicated when you consider some artists make their art for a living. However, I'll leave you with one of my favourite quotes:
  • "Success is not to be pursued; it is to be attracted by the person you become." - Jim Rohn
---------------------------

Arigatomina wrote:That's why I have two definitions of good when it comes to amvs
Yeah, I actually do that too. :amv:

For me it's Technical vs Personal.

But I usually make sure both of my opinions are expressed. I personally think one of the worst things you can do is tell somebody their amv was good only from the Technical side; when you don't tell them your Personal gripes. Of course, I always try to understand what the editor what actually trying to do when they made the video, and take that into consideration so I don't focus too much on flaws that the editor willingly accepted as part of their AMV.

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:55 am

As I kept saying during the VCAs, the quickest way to make an AMV better is to add loli raep. True Story.

Ikore
Org Profile

Post by Ikore » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:24 am

Phantasmagoriat wrote:
  • "Success is not to be pursued; it is to be attracted by the person you become." - Jim Rohn
that one goes to facebook. :up:

Return to “General AMV”