The Truth about AMVs

This forum is for the general discussion of Anime Music Videos.

The Truth about AMVs

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:00 pm

The Truth about AMVs
(Idea sparked from this thread: What really makes a good editor? Or a good AMV...)

See, I've noticed here on AnimeMusicVideos.org, we get a lot of questions like this:

  • What makes an AMV good?
  • How to make a good AMV?
  • What makes a bad AMV?
    etc... etc...

...and I have my own views of this; or at least a general idea.
I mean, I can certainly identify what I like and what I don't like.
And I'm certain we can all do this.

But I've never Truely tried answering it in clear concise terms.
However, in order to provide a reasonable answer, I'm going to have to reword the question a bit:

    Do you think there are any Universal Truth(s) to what makes a Good AMV?
    If so, what are they? Supporting AMV Examples may help explain your answer, but are not necessary.


        I think I have an answer.

      But it might help if I showed my work.

    So you know how I arrived at my destination.

    Let's break it down...


      Good Anime >> Good Story, Good Animation, Clean Footage (or rather: Distraction-Free)

        Good Music >> Dynamic Structure, Easy to Follow, Maintains Attention

          AMV Concept >> Reason for watching AMV; should be clear; but not entirely known until AMV is finished

          Anime/Music 'Fit' >> Atmosphere/Mood, clear AMV genre; while doing something different

          AMV Flow >> Good Overall Structure >> Easy to Follow >> No Confusion or Boredom

        Good Editing >> Timing/Sync, Scene Selection, Purposeful Effects, Aesthetics/Artistic Considerations

      Predictability // Unpredictability >> Easy to Follow // With Surprises

    (...and I'm sure I'm missing some stuff too, but that seems like enough information to encode my answer...)
    (...also note: I'm too lazy to come up with any examples, but I'm sure you can see these as you watch some good AMVs...)


      However, the hierarchy is

        non-linear.


            So to get to the

                Truth of the matter,

                  one has to look at

                    the Truths

                      that

                      overlap

                      the

                    most.

                (Now, in my estimation, I think this is evident in the last point:)


        Predictability // Unpredictability >> Easy to Follow // With Surprises



            So, Technically, I think that's the answer :idea:


          But I don't think that just makes AMVs good-- that makes anything good.


        And for me, this makes a lot of sense, because, as with *any* form of entertainment:





      There is something common.























      But.


      What is it?























      ... do you know?






















      ... do *I* know...?





















      Maybe



      try



      examining some AMVs...






















      Maybe,



      as you watch them....



      examine yourself.



























      Maybe




      try to:




      Examine my post.















      What is the answer?








      That ties












      All Good AMVs
























      And all Entertainment




























      Together?

















      ....














      ...















      .











      Because there has got to be something.





          .









            ...










          .........







      can you feel the tension... ?





        the build up...





          ...the



            pressure.



              .....




                  ..




                .

            ...because as with any form of entertainment:

                (Oh, I certainly hope you read the rest of what I said...)

              Spoiler :
              "We Expect to be Surprised."

              And that is the closest thing

            to the Truth...

          I think

        anyone...

      can

      get.



        That

          is

            what


              makes...



            A.




          Good.






        AMV.







~Phan

/is having fun with creative writing; and testing list capabilities




------------------------

    So, what do YOU think?

    Do you think there are any Universal Truth(s) to what makes a Good AMV?
    If so, what are they? Supporting AMV Examples may help explain your answer, but are not necessary.
Last edited by Phantasmagoriat on Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Galactic Escape"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."
User avatar
Phantasmagoriat
 
Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Status: ☁SteamPunked≈☂

Re: The Truth about AMVs

Postby dakotasapphire » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:49 pm

I think what makes a good amv related to another good one is the concept that it's enjoyable. It's also an anime music video. It's a video synced up to footage. Thats the most thing it has in common. Amvs don't need a structure. They just need to be creative and not boring. But what is boring depends on the person for realz. It shouldn't be judged too harshly either. I think an amv should have an aspect that everyone can understand why someone else could possibly like it. I needs to have a clear reason for someone to like it. (The music, the footage, the effects, timing?, story-line.) Only good amvs are different. Most others are similar. I feel there is a pyramid of amvs, and the bad ones are on bottom, and are just the common trash you find on you-tube. Then there's a ramp up from that and so on. The average ones are enjoyable, but aren't the most original.

Anyhow, that's just what I think about it. Amvs shouldn't be judged on structure. It's bull crap to judge it on such things. You just need to enjoy it by your own standards, not a set in stone rule book. :awesome: It's just a hobby. It shouldn't be blown out of proportion like whose is good or not by set standards.
User avatar
dakotasapphire
 
Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Location: Enmclaw, Washington
Status: Still In School :P

Re: The Truth about AMVs

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:40 pm

@dakotasapphire: you're not really answering the question. It should be a pretty clear yes/no/provide reasoning type answer.

And I'm not talking about Standards for evaluating an AMV; I'm talking about Truths.
I mean, when you watch an AMV, you don't evaluate it, you just try to enjoy it.
And in the end, you know the Truth about whether you enjoyed the AMV or not.
Then, if you take it one step further, you would be able to identify why.

Also, I'm going to have to disagree with your thoughts on Structure.
I mean, if I had to choose between an AMV that has structure vs an AMV that has doesn't have structure, I'm going to pick the one that has structure. Of course, there is more to a good AMV than just that; but generally speaking, AMVs that have good structure make good AMVs. I would consider that to be a Universal Truth.

Does that make sense?
Image
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Galactic Escape"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."
User avatar
Phantasmagoriat
 
Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Status: ☁SteamPunked≈☂

Re: The Truth about AMVs

Postby gotegenks » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:17 pm

phan, i do believe you are the closest thing to an amv professor i can think of, and i think the amv world desperately needs something like that.

this was a pretty enlightening post, really good stuff, keep it up, i'll be sharing these to as many non orgers i can lay my greasy hands on!
Image
User avatar
gotegenks
 
Joined: 03 Oct 2009
Location: charlesgood, california

Re: The Truth about AMVs

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:37 pm

Thanks gote :D

I actually used to be a teacher, so sharing knowledge is something very dear to me.

And yes, please do share this post with non-orgers, or with anyone that creates work for the purpose of entertainment :wink:
Image
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Galactic Escape"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."
User avatar
Phantasmagoriat
 
Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Status: ☁SteamPunked≈☂

Re: The Truth about AMVs

Postby qyll » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:39 pm

You hinted at this yourself, Phan. The question you're trying to tackle extends beyond the boundaries of the org or AMVs or remix culture or even the visual arts. Ken Robinson offered us the definition of creativity as "the process of having original ideas that have value." I think what you're trying to define is value (or if you're Robert Pirsig, "quality").

To pigeonhole what makes an AMV enjoyable into disparate "truths" would be a blunder. Sure, you can say that a well-made AMV ought to be easy to follow and have proper scene selection, but then these terms already connotate something desirable in the first place, and so, are not useful qualifiers of a good AMV. Even seemingly immutable "truths" such as high video qualify can fall under the mercy of shifting editing fashions. For example, imagine a hypothetical AMV fad where it becomes popular to edit retro style videos in low resolutions and grainy quality. We've see similar trends in other fields of creativity such as painting and literature. In film, Peter Jackson's The Hobbit will be shot in 48 fps as opposed to 24 fps. That's great, right? Yet many filmgoers don't like this because it makes the movie feel more TVish.

In the end, an AMV's (or any piece of art for that matter) enjoyability is in the eye of the beholder. We all perceive the world differently. To attempt to excavate, a priori, these universal truths that everyone can agree upon would be an exercise in futility. The best we can do is by way of induction; see what many people enjoy and take those things as guidelines rather than axioms. In other words, poll.

I will concede two things:

1) The vast majority of AMV editors are amateurs. We have day jobs. Most of us don't have time to edit all day. Furthermore, the community of serious editors is relatively small. There are barriers to entry, and because of that, the vogues of AMV editing change relatively slowly. That means, for now, certain values such as visual quality are, for all intents and purposes, "universal truths".

2) We are remixers. We don't generate our own footage (there are a few exceptions), and we don't make our own music (again, a few exceptions). That means we don't have to worry about things like character design, lighting, animation quality, instrument use, etc. This considerably simplifies the search for "universal truths".
zzz
User avatar
qyll
 
Joined: 05 Aug 2006
Location: underground

Re: The Truth about AMVs

Postby TritioAFB » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:45 pm

You know what we should do? A thread for the history of the AMV :up: discussing all the changes from 80s to the present.

And... now that I mentioned the history, I don't believe the first ever AMV Maker thought about any kind of Truth behind the AMVs.

I don't believe in the Universal Truths behind the AMV, so my answer is no.

What we have instead, are the Standards about the Good AMV. Some people will consider them as 'Their' Truths, but I don't think in 20 years later, those will even get near to standards, and instead be considered a belief.

This is gonna sound contradictory for me, but if you insist asking me about any Universal Truth, then the one that might get near, is that if a video is re-watchable. I mean, a video might be a success in terms of the editing/Technical Aspect, but if it lacks review ability, then it's just another video.
Making AMVs by day, Going to Gym by Night
Image
User avatar
TritioAFB
Ambassador of the AMVWorld
 
Joined: 04 Sep 2009
Location: Honduras
Status: Doctor

Re: The Truth about AMVs

Postby gotegenks » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:57 pm

Tritio, thats like saying the first caveman scribbling on the wall wasnt thinking about art theory, which may be true but that doesnt make art theory irrelevant and it doesnt make that caveman's scribbles as objectively good as any of todays paintings.

The first amv, in all honesty, was probably horrible and unwatchable today.

Also, reviewability isnt at all a good measure of how good a video is, not even close to being a universal truth, dfferent people will rewatch different things. There are some great romance amvs that i hardly ever wanna rewatch, but theres a ton of shitty action vids that i love to rewatch, over an over and over again. Thats not even a measure of what types of videos i like more, its only a measure of what types of videos i like to rewatch more, an thats it.

It might be true for you that the better a video is in your opinion (regardless of source genre or style) the more you want to rewatch it, but at least for me, thats not even close to being true, which only supports the fact that it isnt a universal truth in the slightest.
Image
User avatar
gotegenks
 
Joined: 03 Oct 2009
Location: charlesgood, california

Re: The Truth about AMVs

Postby TritioAFB » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:02 pm

That's why I said it: I don't believe in the Universal Truths. What might be true for me, shouldn't be the case fore everyone
Making AMVs by day, Going to Gym by Night
Image
User avatar
TritioAFB
Ambassador of the AMVWorld
 
Joined: 04 Sep 2009
Location: Honduras
Status: Doctor

Re: The Truth about AMVs

Postby gotegenks » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:17 pm

i dunno, the fact that we're all undeniably human (i think) means there has to be at least ONE universal truth to these things, at LEAST one. it may be something that is realized in completely opposite ways among certain people, but there has to be at least 1 thread of 1 idea that is shared amongst any viewer or any creator, whether we're able to find it or not, there has to be AT LEAST one...

imo anyway :P
Image
User avatar
gotegenks
 
Joined: 03 Oct 2009
Location: charlesgood, california

Re: The Truth about AMVs

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:39 pm

qyll wrote:Ken Robinson offered us the definition of creativity as "the process of having original ideas that have value." I think what you're trying to define is value (or if you're Robert Pirsig, "quality").
I think this is very consistent with my idea how "We Expect to be Surprised" because if something surprises us, an original idea must have been presented (at least, according to our original frame-of-reference) and the moment we make sense of it, a perspective shift can occur in our minds, giving rise to value. So I think, there is a possibility we are encircling the same idea.



qyll wrote:To pigeonhole what makes an AMV enjoyable into disparate "truths" would be a blunder. Sure, you can say that a well-made AMV ought to be easy to follow and have proper scene selection, but then these terms already connotate something desirable in the first place, and so, are not useful qualifiers of a good AMV. Even seemingly immutable "truths" such as high video qualify can fall under the mercy of shifting editing fashions. For example, imagine a hypothetical AMV fad where it becomes popular to edit retro style videos in low resolutions and grainy quality. We've see similar trends in other fields of creativity such as painting and literature. In film, Peter Jackson's The Hobbit will be shot in 48 fps as opposed to 24 fps. That's great, right? Yet many filmgoers don't like this because it makes the movie feel more TVish.
This is a very good point. But at the same time, I think it still falls under my idea of predictability/unpredictability, in the sense that we expect something to be a certain way, and when we see that it is not-- then that inconsistency *IS* the surprise. So, I agree with you how pigeon-holing certain AMV qualities can be a bad idea, yet I still think Truth can be found. Although the word "Truth" is an enigma in and of itself.



qyll wrote:In the end, an AMV's (or any piece of art for that matter) enjoyability is in the eye of the beholder. We all perceive the world differently. To attempt to excavate, a priori, these universal truths that everyone can agree upon would be an exercise in futility. The best we can do is by way of induction; see what many people enjoy and take those things as guidelines rather than axioms. In other words, poll.
hmmm... yeah, I think Guidelines is an appropriate word to describe 'Safe Practices' which is what most of the world defaults to, yet I think Truth is what we all strive for. So, is it an exercise in futility? Perhaps. But coat-tailing on what gote said about us all being Human, I believe there has got to be something Universal.



qyll wrote:I will concede two things:

1) The vast majority of AMV editors are amateurs. We have day jobs. Most of us don't have time to edit all day. Furthermore, the community of serious editors is relatively small. There are barriers to entry, and because of that, the vogues of AMV editing change relatively slowly. That means, for now, certain values such as visual quality are, for all intents and purposes, "universal truths".

2) We are remixers. We don't generate our own footage (there are a few exceptions), and we don't make our own music (again, a few exceptions). That means we don't have to worry about things like character design, lighting, animation quality, instrument use, etc. This considerably simplifies the search for "universal truths".
And this is where the line between Truths and Safe-Practices starts to become blurred. Depending on who you are talking to, an AMV has to have certain elements to even call it an AMV; let alone contain True elements to make it a Good AMV. So, I fully accept your notion of using Guidelines, yet, something in me still feels compelled to search for Truth.
------------------------------



And Expanded Idea regarding Truth of Entertainment
Now, nobody yet has faced my proposed Universal Truth head-on: that a good AMV is one that Surprises you, and I honestly believe that rings true for everyone. If you accept this, than there is the possibility of more Universal Truths as well.

One could take a biological approach and notice how pleasurable things result in the release of chemicals in the brain, which is also present any time you have an Emotional Response, or even a Physical Response to Stimulus. Whether it be the story in a piece of work, where the situation alone is enough to trigger an emotional response; or if the audio/video stimulus is enough to triggers a neural response; you are still somehow "Surprised" by what you are experiencing.

Part of the problem goes back to the Age-Old-Mystery that has eluded mankind for as long as we can remember: "Why do we like music?" Of course, this isn't something that is present in everyone, but we still haven't quite figured it out. Yet, taking my thoughts one step further leads me to believe that good music surprises you in some respects. There are Patterns in the music that we can clearly follow, but when something like a guitar lick or solo, or the melody comes into the picture, it surprises us; and all of the sudden our brains have to try to make sense of it. But once we do make sense of it, we feel pleasure.

The same idea can be extended to narratives or movies, or any situation that has certain assumed Patterns. Perhaps there is a relationship between two people that should progress smoothly as they are lovers. That's the pattern. But, introduce an obstacle, and all of the sudden, the audience is thrown into peril, trying to scramble for ways to overcome the surprise; to make sense of it all. Or think about video games: in the beginning, there is some unaccomplished task, a pattern that is broken somehow by an obstacle, a Surprise; and it is our job to fix it. So, what do we do? We take on the challenge. And we find that we actually like it. So we do it willingly.

I believe the idea of fixing patterns is true of AMVs as well. Once you learn about something like synchronization for instance, you now have a pattern to watch out for, and wish for that pattern to be respected. And when it is respected it makes you happy. But each time a clip makes an attempt to be synchronized, you are momentarily Surprised; and your brain scrambles to make sense of it. And the moment that connection is made, the Universe is restored once again, and it's the best feeling in the world. Same rings true of Story Elements in AMVs-- similar to books, movies and what have you.

This is our Drive to bring Order back to Chaos; to make the world a little more aligned than it started out; to fix things that catch us off guard. Because they Surprised us.

So, is there Truth here? Truth that can extend to all forms of entertainment? Why we enjoy certain things? What makes something Good? What makes anything Good? I'm sure there's probably more to it than I have described so far, but I believe there is Truth somewhere. Something that would Surprise everybody. Something we can all strive for.

And it all starts by identifying what is True for You; and maybe... just maybe... identify Truth for us all.
Image
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Galactic Escape"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."
User avatar
Phantasmagoriat
 
Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Status: ☁SteamPunked≈☂

Re: The Truth about AMVs

Postby Arigatomina » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:58 pm

Universal Truth: Good, when applied to anything artistic, is a subjective term and always will be.

In math we have correct and proper and true. In all things artistic we have popular opinion determining which stance is true at any given time. That doesn't mean it's actually true. That "truth" may not even remain true for the people who make up that popular opinion because opinions change as quickly as people do.

That most people think certain things make amvs good today is true. You can do polls to determine this. That things we now consider bad were once considered good is also true. But were those things ever actually good or bad? That's a matter of opinion. It depends on who you poll to get that majority opinion. The vid itself has no inherent "true" good or bad because it's nothing without being seen through the eyes of another, be that the viewer or the editor. It's art, music, poetry. We can get together and decide certain things make the work good or bad or astounding or mediocre. That doesn't make our judgement true in anything but a subejctive sense. Why? Because our judgement is our opinion and that will change along with us.

Conclusion: Without someone to watch and assign value to the amv, the amv is neither good nor bad. There can be no "universal" standards by which to judge a vid as good or bad because even the opinions of a single particular viewer change continuously. Since each person's opinions change along with that person, the majority opinions decided by multiple people are even more fluid. The only "truth" is whether or not it is an amv. Even that truth isn't universal because the definition of what makes an amv changes with the hobby itself.

So...no, no universal truths about amvs. Unless you look at the hobby as a whole, in which case I would say it's a universal truth that the hobby will continue to change indefinitely and that the definitions of good and bad will continue to change as the people determining those definitions change.

And, just in case this is another "what makes a good amv in your opinion" thread:

An amv is good if at least one person watches it and says it's good. They don't have to personally enjoy the vid in order to consider it good. Perhaps they define "good" as "well-made" rather than personally enjoyable. Or maybe good just means they liked watching it and look forward to watching it more in the future. In that case, good doesn't necessarily mean well-made at all. Either way, if that one person says the vid is good, then it's a good vid. To that person. If lots of people agree with that viewer and popular opinion says it's a good vid, then it's a good *and* popular vid. Congrats. If no one watches your vid, then it's nothing. Sorry. Try pimping it to people who like the same things you do and then it will be good. Just beware sharing it with people who don't like the things you do, because then it will be a bad vid. And, if it somehow gets watched a lot by a variety of people, it could be an inbetween vid. Those are the worst. Sorry again. Don't let it get to you. Remember, romance novels sell well because they're targeted to readers of romance. Just because those horror movie fans wrinkle their nose at your sappy drama doesn't mean it won't be considered great to others.

If this is a "what things are necessary for a chair to be a good chair" type thread:

All the basics - synch, concept, delivery, capture and sound quality, compression. It's all in the guides. Those aspects are the seat and legs required to make it a chair by today's definition (which is subject to change). Does that mean it will be a good or popular one? That depends on who you're trying to make sit in that thing. Pick your audience well and you're home free. Offer something without a back to people who prefer to recline and you're in trouble. If that's your audience, then fancy it up a little, make it comfortable and appealing. How do you do that? That's a matter of opinion. Some people like cushiony flow that's relaxing and pleasant, they might even want it to have a soothing rocker added on there so they can leave it on loop and rock softly for hours. Others like the bite of effects and jarring cuts to keep them on the edge of that rigid seat. That chair isn't for sitting, it's for bouncing. However you make that chair your own, so long as you have the basics covered at least you know it's a proper chair. If it falls apart the second someone tries to sit on it, then it's a bad chair. It might be a good pile of "found art", though. Always look on the bright side. One man's garbage (or feces on a paper plate) is another man's treasure. Art is great that way.
User avatar
Arigatomina
 
Joined: 03 Apr 2003

Re: The Truth about AMVs

Postby gotegenks » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:00 am

The surprise factor still evades all of that argument though.
for the hundreds or thousands of years where we know about art, one thing has been certain. New has overtaken the old. That's why styles change, there always needs to be something new, the next step, that's where originality comes into the picture as well. It surprises you and you like it, and then you like stuff that looks like the thing that surprised you, and that's where emulators come into it. It's all about something perceived as new, something original, and that's why style is constantly changing and never stagnant.
Image
User avatar
gotegenks
 
Joined: 03 Oct 2009
Location: charlesgood, california

Re: The Truth about AMVs

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:13 am

Arigatomina wrote:Universal Truth: Good, when applied to anything artistic, is a subjective term and always will be.

In math we have correct and proper and true. In all things artistic we have popular opinion determining which stance is true at any given time. That doesn't mean it's actually true. That "truth" may not even remain true for the people who make up that popular opinion because opinions change as quickly as people do.

That most people think certain things make amvs good today is true. You can do polls to determine this. That things we now consider bad were once considered good is also true. But were those things ever actually good or bad? That's a matter of opinion. It depends on who you poll to get that majority opinion. The vid itself has no inherent "true" good or bad because it's nothing without being seen through the eyes of another, be that the viewer or the editor. It's art, music, poetry. We can get together and decide certain things make the work good or bad or astounding or mediocre. That doesn't make our judgement true in anything but a subejctive sense. Why? Because our judgement is our opinion and that will change along with us.

Conclusion: Without someone to watch and assign value to the amv, the amv is neither good nor bad. There can be no "universal" standards by which to judge a vid as good or bad because even the opinions of a single particular viewer change continuously. Since each person's opinions change along with that person, the majority opinions decided by multiple people are even more fluid. The only "truth" is whether or not it is an amv. Even that truth isn't universal because the definition of what makes an amv changes with the hobby itself.

So...no, no universal truths about amvs. Unless you look at the hobby as a whole, in which case I would say it's a universal truth that the hobby will continue to change indefinitely and that the definitions of good and bad will continue to change as the people determining those definitions change.

And, just in case this is another "what makes a good amv in your opinion" thread:

An amv is good if at least one person watches it and says it's good. They don't have to personally enjoy the vid in order to consider it good. Perhaps they define "good" as "well-made" rather than personally enjoyable. Or maybe good just means they liked watching it and look forward to watching it more in the future. In that case, good doesn't necessarily mean well-made at all. Either way, if that one person says the vid is good, then it's a good vid. To that person. If lots of people agree with that viewer and popular opinion says it's a good vid, then it's a good *and* popular vid. Congrats. If no one watches your vid, then it's nothing. Sorry. Try pimping it to people who like the same things you do and then it will be good. Just beware sharing it with people who don't like the things you do, because then it will be a bad vid. And, if it somehow gets watched a lot by a variety of people, it could be an inbetween vid. Those are the worst. Sorry again. Don't let it get to you. Remember, romance novels sell well because they're targeted to readers of romance. Just because those horror movie fans wrinkle their nose at your sappy drama doesn't mean it won't be considered great to others.

If this is a "what things are necessary for a chair to be a good chair" type thread:

All the basics - synch, concept, delivery, capture and sound quality, compression. It's all in the guides. Those aspects are the seat and legs required to make it a chair by today's definition (which is subject to change). Does that mean it will be a good or popular one? That depends on who you're trying to make sit in that thing. Pick your audience well and you're home free. Offer something without a back to people who prefer to recline and you're in trouble. If that's your audience, then fancy it up a little, make it comfortable and appealing. How do you do that? That's a matter of opinion. Some people like cushiony flow that's relaxing and pleasant, they might even want it to have a soothing rocker added on there so they can leave it on loop and rock softly for hours. Others like the bite of effects and jarring cuts to keep them on the edge of that rigid seat. That chair isn't for sitting, it's for bouncing. However you make that chair your own, so long as you have the basics covered at least you know it's a proper chair. If it falls apart the second someone tries to sit on it, then it's a bad chair. It might be a good pile of "found art", though. Always look on the bright side. One man's garbage (or feces on a paper plate) is another man's treasure. Art is great that way.


Well that was a depressing fucking read.

It supports the belief that all of Humanity will *never* be able to understand each other.
Do you actually think that? Consider if you truly want to communicate with someone
and get your message across to them, that you can't make a single. fucking. ounce. of difference.

BULLSHIT.

Yes. Some people are stubborn. Some people don't see things the way you see things.
Some people even have their own selfish motives in this world, and may choose to ignore you completely!
And some people are just stupid.

But that doesn't mean you can't connect with them.

You might have to beat your drum a little louder.
Or find an outlet that can be heard above the rush of the crowd.
Or scream at the top of your fucking lungs!

or cry.

or sometimes.

Even make people uncomfortable. And make them stew in their own sweat.

But you CAN make a difference.

Maybe the person you want to talk to speaks a different language, and they don't have the same speech-pattern-sound-recognition-or-background to know exactly what the hell you are talking about; but Does that mean you CAN'T connect with them? CAN'T communicate with them on SOME level? No. If you want to communicate an idea to someone you can. All you have to do is Open up and Try. Sometimes you even have to expose your vulnerabilities. But have you ever tried talking to someone in another language? You really have to open up. And really make an attempt to understand each other. You might not know what the hell is going on the majority of the time; but then something magical happens and you find out how satisfying it is when you finally get your point across. Sure it's frustrating in the beginning, and annoying as fuck; but when you finally connect, it's bloody fantastic! True Communication transcends text, language, file format, audio/visual mediums, social class/structure, and everything.

And art is a form of Communication. So are AMVs.

If you wish to continue believing that art is a stale, unemotional backlog of pieces of shit that can only connect with niche groups of people... go ahead. I'm not stopping you. But if that's the reality you choose to believe in, I would hate to be you.
Image
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Galactic Escape"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."
User avatar
Phantasmagoriat
 
Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Status: ☁SteamPunked≈☂

Re: The Truth about AMVs

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:20 am

Yeah, I thought I should probably add: I'm sorry if I'm coming off as harsh, but --I actually used to think with that same mindset too--
Then I found my Voice, and realized I CAN make a difference. Everyone else can too.

We don't all need to be stuck in our old ways, and reuse old frames of reference. Actually, if I'm not mistaken, I've read that very same analogy of an AMV as a chair in the past, and always thought there was something very off about it... but never said anything...
Image
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Galactic Escape"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."
User avatar
Phantasmagoriat
 
Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Status: ☁SteamPunked≈☂

Next

Return to General AMV

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: M'o'l and 2 guests