What really makes a good editor? Or a good AMV...

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: What really makes a good editor? Or a good AMV...

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:54 am

Ikore wrote:after all good or bad is something defined by perception.
I'm referring to bad editing, as in sloppy, poorly done, and completely trashy looking videos (regardless of the video and audio sources).
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Ikore
Org Profile

Post by Ikore » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:52 am

l33tmeatwad wrote:
I'm referring to bad editing, as in sloppy, poorly done, and completely trashy looking videos (regardless of the video and audio sources).
and Im referring to people who will see those AMVs as "AWESOME" even when they're lame for us.

Standards can be set and you can be really skillful, but personal preferences will define your approval over what you like, and that will be consired good; you may set your mind to tell you that sloppy amv are the worst of this world, or you can think than only narutoball 3d zshipwhateverbleachwillbenamed are good, what is good for me can be bad for other, It's like Oscars and Cannes.
SING! Never mind the words!!!

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:54 am

Ikore wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:
and Im referring to people who will see those AMVs as "AWESOME" even when they're lame for us.

Standards can be set and you can be really skillful, but personal preferences will define your approval over what you like, and that will be consired good; you may set your mind to tell you that sloppy amv are the worst of this world, or you can think than only narutoball 3d zshipwhateverbleachwillbenamed are good, what is good for me can be bad for other, It's like Oscars and Cannes.
If there is no bad, there is no good, so it's a pointless argument then, why did you even respond :ying:
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Ikore
Org Profile

Post by Ikore » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:57 am

l33tmeatwad wrote:
Ikore wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:I'm referring to bad editing, as in sloppy, poorly done, and completely trashy looking videos (regardless of the video and audio sources).

If there is no bad, there is no good, so it's a pointless argument then, why did you even respond :ying:
I like to write. :beer:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:58 am

Clearly all academic study of food, art, music, and cinema is pointless. We should just line up all those professional critics against a wall and let the firing squad at them, cause they're clearly not a benefit to society. I mean, hell, anyone could do their job and be equally right.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Ikore
Org Profile

Post by Ikore » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:05 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:We should just line up all those professional critics against a wall and let the firing squad at them, cause they're clearly not a benefit to society. I mean, hell, anyone could do their job and be equally right.
that would be awesome. I have never understand why we pay someone to tell us what is good or bad.
BasharOfTheAges wrote:Clearly all academic study of food, art, music, and cinema is pointless.
so what's the point, are ancient art schools set for people to like something?

they exist to teach, they have gathered thousands years of knowledge for people to improve, not to create a bird's cage where "good artists" will sit and feel comfortable or to invite new fellows to reach our beautiful zone, where our own rules dictates standards and anything outside of that will be "bad".

Art is appreciation, not a mathematical formula, I shouldn't limit myself at making amv because snobs will tell me "is bad".
The best artists keep doing what they feel is right, true and fulfilling.
Everyone around them just has to figure out what the artist is doing and enjoy it.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. No one on this website has released a video that everyone loves. As long as you got all of the technical aspects of your video in check, you should feel free to express yourself in anyway possible.
Quino an Argentine cartoonist dropped Arts School, he was told not to be skillful enough, yet he developed his own style and he is now one of the most sucessful cartoonist of America. Academy studies will give you bases, not an always "good" on your spectator, and they shouldn't kill an artist because he doesn't fit in their glorious mold.

Yet we can analize someone's video and provide him with our point of view, using our own "good", he will decide if he takes it or not, as well as we have taken some advices and forgot about others; studies could state whatever, people too, but we will do only what we like, what we consider good, an artitst is the only one who should set his own standards.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:40 pm

Ikore wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:We should just line up all those professional critics against a wall and let the firing squad at them, cause they're clearly not a benefit to society. I mean, hell, anyone could do their job and be equally right.
that would be awesome. I have never understand why we pay someone to tell us what is good or bad.
BasharOfTheAges wrote:Clearly all academic study of food, art, music, and cinema is pointless.
so what's the point, are ancient art schools set for people to like something?

they exist to teach, they have gathered thousands years of knowledge for people to improve, not to create a bird's cage where "good artists" will sit and feel comfortable or to invite new fellows to reach our beautiful zone, where our own rules dictates standards and anything outside of that will be "bad".

Art is appreciation, not a mathematical formula, I shouldn't limit myself at making amv because snobs will tell me "is bad".
Nice strawman, but I never claimed it to be. The mere fact that we, as a species, independent of cultural quirks, accept that some people are qualified enough to be critics and have things like art schools is because, despite what you've been led to believe, consensus is that quality is not 100% subjective.
| | |

Ikore
Org Profile

Post by Ikore » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:56 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:The mere fact that we, as a species, independent of cultural quirks, accept that some people are qualified enough to be critics
and have people elected as politicians too, it doesn't make them a necessary part of society either :awesome:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:consensus is that quality is not 100% subjective.
people may love to eat shit if they want to, ask twilight.

The point is about "like", what is 100% subjective, not about better or worst production or quality, and yet consensus is just a common agreement "we all think it is good", and what people think is always subjective, it's not mathematics.

quality is just a bunch of steps that lead to a final product suitable to certain standards, that doesn't make it good, it makes it acceptable to our rules. Good is a matter of perception.

what I´m getting from that stuff "hey we have this set of rules for you to do a good amv, and if you don't follow them it's going to suck" and I don't like that. I don't agree that amv or any kind of art should be caged on a single line of manufacturing. I just need good anime and good music, a good edition only makes me more attracted to it. :up:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:31 pm

Ikore wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:The mere fact that we, as a species, independent of cultural quirks, accept that some people are qualified enough to be critics
and have people elected as politicians too, it doesn't make them a necessary part of society either :awesome:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:consensus is that quality is not 100% subjective.
people may love to eat shit if they want to, ask twilight.

The point is about "like", what is 100% subjective, not about better or worst production or quality, and yet consensus is just a common agreement "we all think it is good", and what people think is always subjective, it's not mathematics.

quality is just a bunch of steps that lead to a final product suitable to certain standards, that doesn't make it good, it makes it acceptable to our rules. Good is a matter of perception.

what I´m getting from that stuff "hey we have this set of rules for you to do a good amv, and if you don't follow them it's going to suck" and I don't like that. I don't agree that amv or any kind of art should be caged on a single line of manufacturing. I just need good anime and good music, a good edition only makes me more attracted to it. :up:
I can't even make sense of your incoherent rambling.

I'm saying you're wrong. I'm not saying it's black and white AND you're wrong. You seem unable to grasp the shades of grey and keep insisting on using a strawman argument (of 100% objectivity being the only other option) that I'm certainly not making.

There are things collectively understood to be marks of quality - if there were not, you wouldn't have people going to school to learn about and obtain degrees in artistic fields. There would be nothing to teach.
| | |

Return to “General AMV”