Rules on sharing videos

This forum is for the general discussion of Anime Music Videos.

Rules on sharing videos

Postby Sir Dingo Jameson » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:36 pm

I'm sorry if this is posted somewhere else, but I have not been able to find anything on the subject and I was wondering about it.

What are the rules on sharing videos that have been downloaded from this site? I wanted to share a couple of the videos I saw at the AMV contest last night at AX2012, but I'm not sure if that violates any rules or whatnot. Can someone point me to where this is stated or let me know if it is like, a case by case situation and I need to get the permission of the creator of the vid? Tahank you in advance for the help.
Sir Dingo Jameson

Re: Rules on sharing videos

Postby Shin-AMV » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:46 pm

general rule of thumb is feel free to share it without restriction.
Shin-AMV

Postby Kevmaster » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:33 pm

Shin-AMV wrote:general rule of thumb is feel free to share it without restriction.

As long as you give credits to the creator.
Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser

Postby Rendakor » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:25 pm

It depends what you mean by share; mailing around to your friends or whatever is usually fine. If you are reuploading to Youtube or a similar site I would ask the creator first.
Image Image
Rendakor
Falling Like A Star

Postby gotegenks » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:29 pm

some editors require royalties to be paid in cash before they allow sharing :nose:
gotegenks

Postby Sir Dingo Jameson » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:31 pm

I was going to post them on facebook, not trying to pass them off as my own or anything like that. But I will PM the creators just to be sure.
Sir Dingo Jameson

Postby gotegenks » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:38 pm

if you mean like linking on your facebook or something, then i dont think it's even allowed for us to object, given the nature of this hobby

if you were gonna upload it to facebook, well then yeah get permission.
gotegenks

Postby Ryvannis » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:39 pm

I'd say for sharing. Look up the popular editors that post and share their videos. It will give you an idea on what you need to do when sharing your videos. If it helps, check with the source materials for any copy infringement that you could face. Always credit your sources though.
Ryvannis

Postby JaddziaDax » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:09 am

It really comes down to a case by case basis. Different editors will react differently. The best thing to do would be to ask first.
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!

Postby Pwolf » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:02 pm

I would say don't even bother asking. First off, the editor will never know unless you tell them and second, 99% of the editors here don't care. We all want people to see our work. Anyone who has a problem with people sharing their videos needs to re-think their priorities IMO.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Like the AMV .Org App? Think about donating to help me make it better.
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle

Postby Chained(E)Studio » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:05 pm

Pwolf wrote:I would say don't even bother asking. First off, the editor will never know unless you tell them and second, 99% of the editors here don't care. We all want people to see our work. Anyone who has a problem with people sharing their videos needs to re-think their priorities IMO.

x2
Chained(E)Studio

Postby I Fight For The Users » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:27 pm

Pwolf wrote:I would say don't even bother asking. First off, the editor will never know unless you tell them and second, 99% of the editors here don't care. We all want people to see our work. Anyone who has a problem with people sharing their videos needs to shut the fuck up.

I have recently been dealing with people who think precisely like this. They're tedious.
I Fight For The Users

Postby I Fight For The Users » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:28 pm

I Fight For The Users wrote:
Pwolf wrote:I would say don't even bother asking. First off, the editor will never know unless you tell them and second, 99% of the editors here don't care. We all want people to see our work. Anyone who has a problem with people sharing their videos needs to shut the fuck up.

I have recently been dealing with people who think precisely like this. They're tedious.

Clarification: "people who think precisely like this" meaning those who have a problem with sharing fandom.
I Fight For The Users

Postby AceD » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:08 pm

Sir Dingo Jameson wrote:What are the rules on sharing videos that have been downloaded from this site?
No need to ask anybody, it's already been shared via a direct download link so it's extremely unlikely anybody would care, if they care they wouldn't upload it here to begin with....

If it's only available on youtube or something, then perhaps they don't want anybody reposting it elsewhere....so you should probably ask....these kind of people don't understand that you're not hurting there video...(usually kids though, probably why)
AceD
I AM THE BEST

Postby ngsilver » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:55 pm

I've never bothered asking permission to share videos. It's one of my favorite pastimes actually, sharing videos with others. I find it's better to ask forgiveness then for permission in this instance.

I am always willing to stop sharing and take videos out of playlists and what not if I'm asked. It's very rare I ever get asked to stop sharing however.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy

Return to General AMV