Burn Transition on After Effects

B4Trilogy
Org Profile

Burn Transition on After Effects

Post by B4Trilogy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:27 pm

Hello! I've browsed a few threads (actually, I used search "Burn transition" and haven't found a tutorial that would help me for this particular effect. (Or I might have missed it)) So! I'd like to know how to do this effect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zvAOIpCPDY at 0:18, there are flames burning upwards AND the text "Astrick" burns in from right to left, flames leaping out and such. I'd like to learn that please! :)
-While browsing some threads, I stumbled upon some particle illusion plugin? Particle something? Or Trapcode Particular? IDK, if you could help me with that, much appreciated.

I'm using After Effects CS.4 & CS.6(Know the basics, but still quite the newbie)
I'm on a Windows 7. ^_^
Last edited by B4Trilogy on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Re: Burn Transition on After Effects

Post by Eake4 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:15 am

I recommend just getting a fire footage somewhere and keying out the background. Apply it to your clip and rotate or even resize your fire to make it fly upwards. Have the text fade in with a red-yellow glow right when the fire passes through where the text is. Your done :D

At worst case, your fire footage might not be keyable so you may have to mask the fire out but even thats not difficult and with some opacity and colour correction, you can make your fire the way you want it to look. Good luck!

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:36 am

I'll look into it tomorrow and see if I can record a tutorial for you.

Eake4, you need to work on how you explain things.

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:02 am

Niotex wrote:Eake4, you need to work on how you explain things.
So dam true, I should start recording and stop giving shitty instructions

Turmoil
Org Profile

Post by Turmoil » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:00 pm

Yeah, as Eake4 was saying, most fires aren't actually an effect, but just stock footage. You can get lots of good, HD stock footage from here. There's ways to get it free as well, but you didn't hear that from me :P.
Once you have the stock footage from this pack in particular, you just create a new layer and set it to screen. Setting it to screen will get rid of the black background :)
For the text I'm not exactly sure how to do that but maybe it would be a much simpler variation of this tutorial? In general Video Copilot has a lot of great tutorials for learning how to create different cool text related effects using AE. :)

Kanti13
Org Profile

Post by Kanti13 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:46 pm

Turmoil wrote:In general Video Copilot has a lot of great tutorials for learning how to create different cool text related effects using AE. :)
:up: I second that for Video Copilot, not just for text either.
I think THIS is the tutorial you're looking for. This is a great tutorial, especially if you are interested in learning to make your effects from scratch without need for stock footage or special plugins. You just need one texture (provided with the tutorial). Once you learn how to make the fire effect you can use it on an image, text, or just play around with the transition to make flames like in that video. You probably won't need to use everything in the tutorial but it's all good stuff to know!

Return to “Effects & Techniques”