B A T M A N year one - music video

Post by MrMusX » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:19 am

Video: - music video
Category:Action, Drama, Character Profile
Animated Movie: B A T M A N year one
Song: Kill the Light
Artist: Lacuna Coil
Creator:MrMusX

The first AMV I ever made and the 3rd video I ever edited. Due to my inexperience with the tools it took me around 15 hours to make :book: .
Watch in HD, comment and like or dislike.
It's not an anime, but an animated movie instead. (Expect FMA video in the near future, but only if the response is good.)

[Based on the BATMAN Year One by the magnificent Frank Miller. It's comic to animated-movie adaptation. Dedicated to every Batman fan out there. Hope I will be able to best this with my next series of AMV's in which I will probably include some more DC universe content such as Under the Red Hood, Superman and Batman Public Enemies etc.]

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Re: B A T M A N year one - music video

Post by Kevmaster » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:42 am

You already have a decent grasp of video flow. Don't get to overboard with effects though. While I liked the zoomed-in overlays they got kind of old when they kept appearing all over the video. You also need to work on your timing. Whileyou obviously tried, a lot of parts seemed off-beat. (the white flashes for example are something I used to like to do as well, but it took me as well a while to time them right...)

The lyrics appearing in the video didn't add anything to the video and should have been left out or added in a different manner. They work in some cases, but here they felt out of place. I suggest watching this for a good example that uses text.

Overall it seemed like a nice effort!

MrMusX
Org Profile

Post by MrMusX » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:56 am

Hi there!
If you mean timing the picture with the song beats, you can overuse that as well. I only timed some part's. With aggressive and fast songs it would be just too much to time everything to the beat and would probably cause epy-seizures to some people xD, have too much of it as it is. Also, there is not much material with Batman in the movie... that was the main problem, didn't leave me much room to cut because song is almost 4 minutes long. But ofc, It could be alot better and must be made better in the future so +1 to you :up: . [In some parts I just wanted the flashing effects :D (ooh shiny 8-) ).]

Lyrics are mostly here for the effect, some can be seen as part of the story and some are just for the effect, because you can't really find a song about Batman, so it was close enough, maybe a different song would suit better, I think we are both right here :up: . (Hard to find a good song...by good I mean good to me, it's a subjective opinion)

About overusing some of the effects... I don't know, I think that depends on the person. I'm a bit theatrical person :bzz: |:> :bzz2: , I like to have, hear and see lot of stuff, I wan't it to be fast and grand, f.e. muse is my fav band, Christopher Nolan and Cameron fav directors and you can't get more theatrical then them. Once again, it's very subjective. Michael Bay and his explosions :D

To wrap up, thx alot for the constructive criticism, will definitely take the words you said to improve my vids! Hope to hear from you more in the future
:) :up:

[Kariudo: Since this isn't an anime music video, it doesn't belong in AMV announcements. I'll give it a chance here in General Discussion instead.]

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:41 pm

I didn't think the timing was all that bad but my major gripe is the overlays. They are incredibly distracting and having to shift my focus between the overlays to see what's happening just made me me feel uncomfortable. Overlays are great for certain things but doing it across the majority of the video make me think you weren't trying hard enough (which i'm sure isn't true). With a little bit of creative scene placement you could've easily gone away with the overlays entirely. The text also seemed rather pointless. I can hear the lyrics fine so seeing them on screen didn't help and ended up being distracting as well.

My last issue is with the sudden cuts on scenes around the 2:15 mark where you made a scene change then cut to black. This went on for a good 10-20+ seconds. You also did some white flashes a little later on which didn't really feel necessary as well. You could've easily just not cut to black, extend the scene to the next scene change and removed the white flashes and those sections would've been perfectly fine.

Anyway, despite that, I actually enjoyed the video. It has its flaws but I think the underlying concept and fundamentals are there, just needed to keep it simple.

MrMusX
Org Profile

Post by MrMusX » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:59 am

Thanks! I'll try to improve on that. About the 2:15 part; I actually enjoyed that part alot but I guess it's just me haha :D, later on the white flashes are for the blows cops get from Batman and the ones he gets from them.

ClaudiusVideo's
Org Profile

Post by ClaudiusVideo's » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:35 pm

awesome freaking video alil too much effects but awesome non the less.i got a question though. isn't this video non anime? if so then how is it on this forum without everyone freaking out. because if i knew we could announce our non anime amv info in forum i would have done that along time ago. you cant tell me this is anime because batman is designed just like the old comics if its anime then japan would have put there own spin to it like in gotham knight.basically what im saying is this looks like a continuation of the 1992 batman series.

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:40 pm

sirmichaelvalentine wrote:awesome freaking video alil too much effects but awesome non the less.i got a question though. isn't this video non anime? if so then how is it on this forum without everyone freaking out. because if i knew we could announce our non anime amv info in forum i would have done that along time ago. you cant tell me this is anime because batman is designed just like the old comics if its anime then japan would have put there own spin to it like in gotham knight.basically what im saying is this looks like a continuation of the 1992 batman series.
This is the general discussion/off topic forum so it's allowed.

ClaudiusVideo's
Org Profile

Post by ClaudiusVideo's » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:22 pm

Pwolf wrote:
sirmichaelvalentine wrote:awesome freaking video alil too much effects but awesome non the less.i got a question though. isn't this video non anime? if so then how is it on this forum without everyone freaking out. because if i knew we could announce our non anime amv info in forum i would have done that along time ago. you cant tell me this is anime because batman is designed just like the old comics if its anime then japan would have put there own spin to it like in gotham knight.basically what im saying is this looks like a continuation of the 1992 batman series.
This is the general discussion/off topic forum so it's allowed.
so if i make non anime videos that are pritty good how would i go by showing it in forum like batman year one because there is few amv's i want to make i was thinking on putting the info & download link in account but i dont want to get into trouble thats the last thing in need haha

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:27 pm

You can't input the video into the databse, you'll just have to host it on youtube or somewhere else then give us a link in this forum for people to view.

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Post by Kevmaster » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:39 pm

I personally have the link for my live action music video in my profile. Not added to the database, but added as information in my user profile. I also have it in my signature. That's perfectly fine. There also used to be a thread for videos using non-anime sources some years ago.

Just make sure that your videos does not pretend to be an Anime Music Video (by database entry or the AMV Announcements).

Return to “General Discussion”