Frequently Asked Question - Old Film Effect!

Animated
Drama Text Cop
Org Profile

Frequently Asked Question - Old Film Effect!

Post by Animated » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:04 pm

Ok, i confess. I've been making amv's for years. And still, i haven't found ANY old film effects apart from those Vegas was giving me. White scratches, burned film effects, any plugins you can suggest to me? By the way, I don't want to mess with grungy layers and stuff like that :amv:

for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S2xVyKz ... 751D8u0KQQ
that effect on 1:47, those white scratches. Thanks in advance, my old pals!

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Re: Frequently Asked Question - Old Film Effect!

Post by Eake4 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:03 am

I only see Youtube Editors do this, they probably got it from a grunge instead of an effect too since I remember most of their techniques are just twicitch and grunge.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:19 am

You can actually do this in avisynth. There is a thread on doom9 for this kinda thing but take a look at the manual for addgrainc for adding scratches and vertical lines. Burn marks can be done with a combination of blur and masking over addgrainc with tweak as well, but there are more advanced techniques I can't remember for that particular effect. Tweak and the animate functions are good for doing slight brightness changes, or the flicker plugin if you want to be lazy. Other effects can be done such as variable cropping to have that vague shaking effect that loose projector wheels have. There are a few old vdub filters which you can look at as well.

Sparky1-4
Org Profile

Post by Sparky1-4 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:03 am

Eake4 wrote:I only see Youtube Editors do this, they probably got it from a grunge instead of an effect too since I remember most of their techniques are just twitch and grunge.
These were used in the making of Spoil, so they're not too confined to the Youtube editing community.

OT: They're professional film damage overlays that can be purchased from a site called ArtBeats, just search up Film Clutter: ArtBeats on Google.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:07 am

I absolutely hate it when people do this effect because 99% of the time they will use a canned and synthetic effect that looks obvious and fake. If you want a real authentic old film look, go find stock footage of it and overlay it into your source (there are free resources). You'll get way better results.

siny
Org Profile

Post by siny » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:43 am

You are looking for something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFF2dk1f7gA and then you just need to do what Pwolf said
ImageImage
ImageImage

Animated
Drama Text Cop
Org Profile

Post by Animated » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:32 am

Just when I thought this thread was dead... you're life savers people, thank God I haven't finished my project yet |:>

AlexxAMV
Org Profile

Post by AlexxAMV » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:13 am

stock overlays...a poorer old-film-like u can get with vegas only..maybe with new-blue effects, yet those you have there are probably pre-made and overlayed....yes it was a significant part in Spoil..yet afterwards every luttle action clip has similar addings to it
-Alex-

Return to “Effects & Techniques”