Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Re: Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna

Post by pacotacoshell » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:14 pm

Just finished the first episode! Pretty good. :up:
Though, there's a lot of tits in this one. Not that it's bad, but I hope it doesn't go overboard. Not really liking some of the really sketchy art styles in some scenes, but I'm gonna give it a few more episodes to really give an opinion.

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:25 pm

got around to watching the first ep too. I liked the previous Lupin III series, wasn't crazy about them but they were good old school series. Looks like they tried to keep the art style mostly the same. Does this series actually have an overall plot or is it a lot of individual heists?

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:32 pm

It actually does have an overall plot, but it is pretty episodic early on. That said, this series is a lot closer to the style of the manga than the other anime (aside from the beginning of the first season).

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:23 am

I don't know if it's good or bad that I've never watched anything Lupin related before this episode.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:42 am

Maybe good. This is pretty different to the the other anime stuff of Lupin. Actually, it's pretty much the opposite of Cagliostro, and Cagliostro has been considered the best thing Lupin by many, but this is actually a very good show regardless.
Truthfully though, this is the real Lupin. Cagliostro is as far from the real Lupin as it can get. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, as Cagliostro is an amazing movie, but it's very Miyazaki-style (well duh, he directed it), so it means many things. For starters, Miyazaki never liked Lupin (it's quite far from the kind of anime Miyazaki does), so that's why it's very different to what the Lupin manga is, and also Miyazaki doesn't like Goemon, so that's why it has a minor role in the movie.
After Cagliostro, the Lupin anime became more lighthearted to a degree (which fits with Miyazaki's familiy-friendly production in a way ─ Cagliostro's success stuck to the anime, sort of), whereas the real Lupin is a grittier, more adult product, which is reflected in this newer show.

And in the end, you see many fans of the anime considering this show crap (for all the wrong reasons), whereas the fans of the manga are hailing this like a godsend.
Me personally, I enjoy both Cagliostro and this very much. They are very different and this is what Lupin really is, both can be enjoyed regardless. This is all just to say that if one watches this expecting what the rest of the Lupin anime production is (perhaps searching for another Cagliostro), they'll be disappointed, hence why it might be better that you haven't seen other Lupin things, but even if you have seen and like them, this can be enjoyed anyway if you can take the product for what it really is and is meant to be and not for what the rest of the production has become.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:12 pm

...That was a pretty lame way to end it, if I may say so. On the whole, I liked this series a LOT, but there were a couple or so eps in the middle of the series that were somewhat bad, and the ending really wasn't up to par.
Overall I would still recommend it, but up to this last episode I thought it would have had a much more masterpiece-worthy ending, and instead they threw pretty much everything away. It makes sense, sure, but eh... what bugs me, is that it was set as an episodic series, more or less, much like most of the other Lupin production, but then after half or so of the series, they started pulling together Owls from nowhere to stick in a plot, and in the end I think it ended up backfiring. Or rather, it sure was interesting to see how it was evolving, and even up to ep 12 it looked like an interesting story. But then they pull this kinda sorta deus ex machina deal out of nowhere, which left me pretty "meh" right at the ending, which was the worst way to make most of the efforts up to there futile. I think I'll just pretend it ended in some other way or something... somebody make an alternative ending AMV already! :ying:

PS: Fujiko truly is a bitch... >_>

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”