Anime Mid Atlantic 12 AMV contest: FINALISTS!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Re: Anime Mid Atlantic 12 AMV contest: FINALISTS!

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:07 pm

ditch the trolling rule, AMA :rofl:

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:13 pm

StarTrinity009 wrote:Crap! I didn't even see that rule. I'm so sorry to everyone who entered. If that was really a rule, I don't deserve my award. :( I should have read the rules more carefully.
Don't worry about it.. it's technically up to the Coordinator to check.

ALSO, if I may add a comment, It's not always easy to spot something like this... I once missed a video for one of my contests that premiered a month brfore the premier date I had in the rules.

I not sure if I would just stop supporting a contest just for once breach. If that was the case, I would of ditched Sakura-Con's AMV contest after 2005 on the big issues that my video saw. So long as something is learned from it and improved upon.

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

SatoshiSakura
Org Profile

Post by SatoshiSakura » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:41 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote: Well that sucks for them, you make really good videos.

Also, probably not the BEST idea for them to pick for "Judges Choice" (aka, "Best in Show"...not really sure why they named it that, but whatever) one of the videos that should have been disqualified for the trolling rules... :asd:
omg,I thought the rules said you couldn't have won 3 major awards by submission time, this is the 3rd award, unless I misread them... :(

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:48 pm

SatoshiSakura wrote:

Also, probably not the BEST idea for them to pick for "Judges Choice" (aka, "Best in Show"...not really sure why they named it that, but whatever) one of the videos that should have been disqualified for the trolling rules... :asd:
omg,I thought the rules said you couldn't have won 3 major awards by submission time, this is the 3rd award, unless I misread them... :(
You won Best in Show at Katsucon (1), Best Comedy at Katsucon (2), and Best Parody at Sakuracon (3).
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

SatoshiSakura
Org Profile

Post by SatoshiSakura » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:52 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
SatoshiSakura wrote:

You won Best in Show at Katsucon (1), Best Comedy at Katsucon (2), and Best Parody at Sakuracon (3).
Crap, I forgot about the Sakuracon...I'm so sorry, I feel really bad now. T__T

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:54 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote: ALSO, if I may add a comment, It's not always easy to spot something like this... I once missed a video for one of my contests that premiered a month brfore the premier date I had in the rules.

I not sure if I would just stop supporting a contest just for once breach. If that was the case, I would of ditched Sakura-Con's AMV contest after 2005 on the big issues that my video saw. So long as something is learned from it and improved upon.

Vlad
It's a matter of how it was handled too. The two troll videos had in fact both already won awards at a contest Deuce himself had run. He was given advice on how to research the videos more effectively, and he told someone that he did plan of removing trolls from the contest if he found them, but rather than doing that he made this post:
Deuce Loosely wrote:Okay...did a bit of investigating via Google and, as far as the possible "offenders" of the anti-trolling rule, they're cleared for this contest.
One of the finalists won the third major award two weeks after the AMA submission deadline.
The others had only won two major awards so far.
Anything involving "Best Use of...," "Con Chair," "Coordinator," etc etc doesn't count as "major."
So everyone breathe. :P
The videos that trolled did not cross the 3 award mark through awards of that ilk. He tried to mitigate the situation through misinformation, and the implication that I had had been premature in my post about it was insulting.

His method for preforming a tie breaker also sounded haphazard.

SatoshiSakura
Org Profile

Post by SatoshiSakura » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:08 am

I just did a little of my own investigating. I sent my entry April 5, at that time I only had the 2 Katsucon awards, Sakuracon took place April 6 - 8, so that's how it happened. >_<

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:29 am

StarTrinity009 wrote:Crap! I didn't even see that rule. I'm so sorry to everyone who entered. If that was really a rule, I don't deserve my award. :( I should have read the rules more carefully.
Don't even worry about it, I've overlooked stuff in the rules before too, it's up to the ones running the contest to enforce the rules they set.
SatoshiSakura wrote:Crap, I forgot about the Sakuracon...I'm so sorry, I feel really bad now. T__T
Meh, Deuce is the one that screwed the pooch.
Deuce Loosely wrote:Okay...did a bit of investigating via Google and, as far as the possible "offenders" of the anti-trolling rule, they're cleared for this contest.
One of the finalists won the third major award two weeks after the AMA submission deadline.
The others had only won two major awards so far.
Anything involving "Best Use of...," "Con Chair," "Coordinator," etc etc doesn't count as "major."
So everyone breathe. :P
Your googling skills must not be very good (all of these links contained information about the awards the videos had won BEFORE the contest deadline):

Coup d'état (Long Live the Shadow King)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9YLmo_TWCo
http://www.a-m-v.org/video/185236
(Katsucon, 2 Major Awards) http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 8#p1426098
(Sakuracon, 1 Major Award) http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 5&t=108915

Bunny Love
https://twitter.com/#!/PixelBlended
^ALL the wins were tweeted!
(Anime Milwaukee, 1 Major Award) http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 1#p1425981
(Anime Salt Lake, 1 Major Award) http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 6#p1428766
(Katsucon, 1 Major Award) http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 8#p1426098

Hmm...perhaps you should get some help next year for your contest, you are APPARENTLY too understaffed if you can't handle 5 minutes to check the videos so that you can follow your OWN RULES. Whether you fixed it or not for this year's contest after discovering this information is irrelevant. Had you owned up to the mistake and apologized it would have been fine, but trying to cover it up with lies is not acceptable as you should be man enough to admit a failure.

Note: I don't ever LIKE to point anyone out, but the make a point it had to be done; I have no problem with either of the creators of the videos. It is up to those running the contest to enforce the rules. Being someone who's submitted to a lot of contest I've overlooked rules in the past too, so I'm not faulting or trying to bring shame to either of these editors (sorry guys :(), just trying to point out how easy it is to check videos.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:26 am

Wow...seriously.
I won't even discuss anything I just saw in this thread except to say I'm gonna follow Vlad's example and ditch the "anti-trolling" rule.
It's also not fair that the winners should be made to feel guilty for winning even if I honestly couldn't find the same results someone else did when trying to enforce what I see now is slightly more than arbitrary and maybe excessive regulation.
Moving on.

Anyway, this is how the votes broke down...
(* Viewers Choice votes)

Action
SPKWiktor: "Phenomenon" - 13 / 2
LC Lapen: "But Tonight" - 28
TritioAFB: Avenencia" - 22 / 1
SammySama Productions: "One More" - 57 / 3
RiderG: "Check Your App" - 9 / 1

Drama
RiderG: "The Red Letter" - 28
Shin: "Magic Eye" - 24 / 4
** Melichan923: "Friends Forever" - 30 / 1
moonbunnychan: "No Good Magic" - 19
** Galia & Kitty!: "Terminis" - 30 / 4
(** Tie breaker)

Upbeat / Dance
drewaconclusion: "She Loves That Rock and Roll" - 22 / 1
Galia & Kitty!: "MAtsuri" - 25 / 4
Skye: "Gurren Feeling" - 5 / 1
RiderG: "Fullmetal's Back" - 35 / 3
Vlad G Pohnert: "Once Upon a Time in Russia" - 43 / 4

Romance / Sentimental
EimiJ7: "Matchmaker" - 43 / 2
l337meatwad: "Lum's New Love Song" - 18
Pacotacoshell: "Surfer Girl Serenade" - 8
MoonieAMV: "Only You" - 7 / 1
StarTrinity009: "Bunny Love" - 48 / 3

Comedy
Brad DeMoss: "Men" - 7 / 2
MysteriousRyder: "Ballad of the Nice Guy" - 58 / 17
drewaconclusion: "A Brainless Video" - 12 / 2
l33tmeatwad: "Sorry For Being Hercule - Sincerely, Mr.Satan" - 20 / 9
SatoshiSakura: "Coup D'etat" - 30 / 11

Annoying
Prussian Approved Productions: "What's Trollin' On" - 25 / 1
SammySama Productions: "Fried Nerves" - 12
Warlike Swans: "the Best AMV Evar!" - 21
Mysterious Ryder: "Epic Thrusts of Epic Proportions" - 36 / 3
l33tmeatwad: "Requiem of the Endless Eight" - 27
Last edited by Squancho on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:35 am

My suggestion is to set a date that somethign did not premiere prior... It's them totaly black and white given doing some searching on the internet

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

Return to “AMV Contests”