How has the hobby made a difference in your life?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Hopstep
Org Profile

Re: How has the hobby made a difference in your life?

Post by Hopstep » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:30 am

lloyd9988 wrote:
ReggieSmalls wrote:
macchinainterna wrote:"How has the hobby made a difference in your life?" Well to sum it up my ass got even fatter, I watched a ton of awful animes to come up with ideas for mediocre videos I never finished, and now I can't listen to music anymore without obsessively thinking about how I can sync it up and what to sync it up with.

"If AMV's are a form of Communication. What do they Communicate?" Lens flares and shaky cam or GTFO. :bear:
x2
x3 + everyone else who is willing to post after me on this topic <--- No denying it, it's true xD
Let's make it four.

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:55 am

Hopstep wrote:
lloyd9988 wrote:
ReggieSmalls wrote:x2
x3 + everyone else who is willing to post after me on this topic <--- No denying it, it's true xD
Let's make it four.
:pizza: Pizza buddies! <---- Major dork, FYI :ying:

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:50 pm

@TritioAFB: Yeah, becoming a mentor of sorts is tough, but you and I both know that when you see the happiness it brings to others, it's worth it. As long as we don't give too much of ourselves, and just recognize that lines need to be drawn sometimes. I mean, if you are already a doctor, there's only so much you can give. But people still appreciate the small things, and that's something everyone can give. A simple comment here and there can make all the difference in the world, so that we learn how to truly communicate; and become better people in the end.

I fully agree with your views on Entertainment. I was watching The Boondocks the other day, and this sums up my thoughts:
  • "The best artists aren't the ones who paint the best, but
    rather the ones who choose the best things to paint."

TritioAFB wrote:"If AMV's are a form of Communication. What do they Communicate?"
AMVs are a reflection of the soul and mind of the editor
This is soooo close to my answer, similar to what Code said. But I won't tell you guys what I think yet. Not until more people make an attempt. Hint: The answer is something that ALL amv's communicate.

-----------------------

macchinainterna wrote:Well to sum it up my ass got even fatter, I watched a ton of awful animes to come up with ideas for mediocre videos I never finished, and now I can't listen to music anymore without obsessively thinking about how I can sync it up and what to sync it up with.
Okay, let's address this issue. You are clearly not the only one where this hobby has turned footage and music (basically all forms of media) into sources for remixing. But at the same time, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, especially if you can "Turn it off." For me, sure it's a little annoying, but if I just make the conscious effort to enjoy what I am watching or listening to, I find I am able to do that. All it takes is a change of mind, and it's surprising how much happiness I can give myself. I remember what it's like to be entertained; I remember what it's like to be part of the audience once again. I don't know how other people cope, but consuming audio/video does not always have to be about searching for sources in a music video. That's one change that took me the longest time to reconcile, but I can't be the only one that has found ways around it.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

ibabrak
Org Profile

Post by ibabrak » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:00 pm

Let's see, considering that the hobby is both anime and editting...

I decided on what collage I'll go to.
I took up kick box, now I'm doing acrobatics (Well, I wanted to do some martial arts due to all kinds of action movies but I never really did any until I got to watching anime/editting).
I returned to learning the piano .
I'm going to japanese language courses.
And I started to workout so instead of getting fatter I became the oposite. Well, I've always had quick digesting so I never was really fat but I have some muscles now :sweat:

That all come in only year and a half and there will surely be moar :awesome:
ImageImage

macchinainterna
Org Profile

Post by macchinainterna » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:
macchinainterna wrote:Well to sum it up my ass got even fatter, I watched a ton of awful animes to come up with ideas for mediocre videos I never finished, and now I can't listen to music anymore without obsessively thinking about how I can sync it up and what to sync it up with.
Okay, let's address this issue. You are clearly not the only one where this hobby has turned footage and music (basically all forms of media) into sources for remixing. But at the same time, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, especially if you can "Turn it off." For me, sure it's a little annoying, but if I just make the conscious effort to enjoy what I am watching or listening to, I find I am able to do that. All it takes is a change of mind, and it's surprising how much happiness I can give myself. I remember what it's like to be entertained; I remember what it's like to be part of the audience once again. I don't know how other people cope, but consuming audio/video does not always have to be about searching for sources in a music video. That's one change that took me the longest time to reconcile, but I can't be the only one that has found ways around it.
Okay, let's address THIS issue.

YOU ARE TAKING MY OBVIOUS SHIT-POSTING WAY TOO SERIOUSLY. ಠ_ಠ

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:53 pm

@ibabrak: on those points, the hobby serves as a way to bring together some of the things you like; which is an idea that sometimes extends to the rest of your life. |:>

@macchinainterna: if there was no truth in it (at least at some point that you have realized in yourself or others) why would you post it? You know things about the hobby that you want to share with others, and that's not something to be weirded out by. Now, your words of caution are out there... regardless of whether any of it is true for yourself... I simply expanded on them. Now, don't you think it's better to talk about that shit, as opposed to not talking about it? There are REAL issues surrounding the hobby that people simply don't talk about. And it's a shame. Like for me, there has always been this strange semi-addictive property to the hobby; that sometimes could be damaging to my life, if I wasn't careful. It sometimes devolves into a sort of obsession... if you don't make clear division between working and simply having fun. But if nobody talks about that shit, those issues can go unchecked, at least in some people.

So, shit post or not, isn't it still better to talk about it :?:

Emong
A Damaged Lemon
Org Profile

Post by Emong » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:04 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:"If AMV's are a form of Communication. What do they Communicate?"
I wouldn't exactly say that my amvs (or lamvs) express my "mind and soul" (as Tritio put it). Of course, in a trivial way, editors produce amvs in their own ways and may develop very unique styles and whatnot. But I have two points. First, to say that what you do reflects your own deepest self or whatever underestimates the "superficial" aspect of editing (or any form of creativity). Probably no one puts all their effort and heart into their production all the time. Second, and more importantly, amvs (or any other creative field) is a collective phenomenon. That is to say, you're always more or less influenced by everyone else and their works. In the style of the good ol' Soviet Russia jokes: you may think you edit amvs but, when you enter into the community of editors, amvs also edit you.

:dino:

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:11 pm

@Emong: your two points are very good. For the first point yes: I think in AMV's there is a certain reflection of something deeper; or sometimes not deep; yet there is still that sense of wanting to share it (even if in some cases, sharing is just an afterthought). On your second point, the word "collective" is very appropriate when it comes to AMVs. It illustrates the interconnectedness everything has, especially when you consider the influences that went into constructing your AMV; through other editors, or advice you may have received. Much the same as musicians always draw on the influences of other musicians.
Emong wrote:In the style of the good ol' Soviet Russia jokes: you may think you edit amvs but, when you enter into the community of editors, amvs also edit you.
XD

Glitzer
Org Profile

Post by Glitzer » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:38 pm

How fitting it is, reading your invigorating words about your relationship with your dad today, on Father's Day. I can't help but try and emulate your attitude, and I shall attempt to give a heartfelt honoring of my own father after this post.

As for AMVs, it's fascinating to read how many of the replies parallel my own experience. The disheartening result is that I may have nothing to contribute, however.

AMVs started out as something I felt I had to conquer. I've never had any kind of musical intelligence or creative aptitude, and my first AMV in 2007 was so poorly done, I felt ashamed enough as to go into lurk mode for years. Whenever I read the guides, I felt like I was drowning in a sea of technical babble, and my laptop was woefully inadequate to keep up with my usually unclear concepts.

After I rose out of my self-imposed humiliation, I was determined to at least get some technical aspects down. What I found was my preconceived notion of the community being dismissive and discouraging to be false and in reality to be quite welcoming. I'm usually a socially avoidant person, and during my first proper foray into AMV making, the org helped shatter my bubble and change my schema for the better.

What's most interesting to me with AMVs, is how they build on each other. Rarely, I think, are our styles entirely our own. We are a product of the communities we participate in, and to share and participate in said communities gives me solidarity I can't readily imitate elsewhere. When someone creates a meaningful AMV, it may inspire the immediate audience to mimic or equal it, who then may create works which in turn inspire others, therefore, it is almost impossible to see where your influence stops.

As for the communication aspect, what I try and convey in my AMVs is experience. When a meaningful concept hits me over the head, I want to materialize all of my feelings that went into that initial experience, to share with others. Now when the end result is realized, whether the concept is clear or not is entirely another story (perhaps this is why at times criticism is so hard to take. If someone earnestly tries to share an experience, and it's met with intense judgement, one may confuse that with apathy or even disapproval). With some sadness to say, I think it's impossible to truly understand each other. AMVs do give the opportunity to peer into someone else's mind across time and space though, if even for a moment. This binds us, and allows us to share a common experience. At the risk of sounding cheesey, AMVs in this regard can work magic.

[madaraxD]
L1king Lolis
Org Profile

Post by [madaraxD] » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:01 pm

Hopstep wrote:
lloyd9988 wrote:
ReggieSmalls wrote:x2
Let's make it four.
:pizza: Pizza buddies! <---- Major dork, FYI :ying:[/quote]
Five now |:>

Return to “General AMV”