Looking for opinion

Feedback on betas & works in progress

Moderator: Forum moderators

rook2pawn
Org Profile

Looking for opinion

Post by rook2pawn » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:52 am

http://www.4shared.com/video/syPixOIV/E ... ook2p.html

If there is a better way to share please let me know (you need to sign in to 4shared to download it, but 4shared works well)

It's incomplete and something I was wondering if its finishable or needs new directions and yeah, all the criticism i can handle

also uploaded to youtube hopefully this link will work

http://youtu.be/aUEeE-xo2KQ?hd=1

zibbazabba905
Org Profile

Re: Looking for opinion

Post by zibbazabba905 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:58 pm

hurr durr bad anime is bad (just kidding, I see that every time elfen lied is brought up)

Really good/clean effects

"security footage" and "classified" should be more timecode like or stamped, and either add more or less saikano
"Uhmmm... You know... it was at that point that I realized that maybe Thierry wasn't actually a film maker, and he was maybe just someone with mental problems who happened to have a camera. " -Banksy

Cyrix
Org Profile

Post by Cyrix » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:36 am

hurr durr bad anime is bad (just kidding, I see that every time elfen lied is brought up)
I used to have that problem with my videos (or maybe it was just bad editing >_> <_< ), so that comment sold me on watching it :P

As an FYI, the OP forum rules state: "Keep in mind that this is for Opinion Exchange. If you make a topic asking for an opinion, please offer an opinion in return" I don't actually particularly care, don't feel obligated to give me an opinion on anything for giving you feedback on a WIP :P .

I think it's all right - you have some cool effects, and I was liking it for the first 30 seconds or so, but after a while it really feels like it's just an effects test video without a specific objective. I like the transition at :45 when the faster drums start, but then you didn't keep up with the higher tempo, so it ends up feeling like a false start. If you started cutting faster or doing some effect to match the new tempo, that part would work a lot better.

The stars could use a lot of improvement. Plain white circles do not make good stars. A good start is to have them slightly tinted different colors (I usually do stars in Photoshop with a scatter brush set to a slight brightness and opacity jitter). You might also want to play with blurring some of the stars in different ways to give them a fancier appearance. A good trick to getting decent looking cross-shaped stars is make a duplicate copy of the layer that has the stars, give one of the copies a horizontal directional blur and the other a vertical directional blur. Don't do it to all of the stars, or they'll look too uniform. Or, if you used a brush, find a nice star brush.

Around 1:10, you have a shot of young Lucy on the left, for some reason she's not cut out well there like the rest of the clips; maybe that part just isn't done yet, but it doesn't look very good. Feather doesn't really solve bad masking. I like the hallway part right after that though.

I assume Saikano is the other anime that appears in a few clips? I agree with more or less, it was really jarring to have a handful of random shots from something else in what is almost entirely an Elfen Lied video. As a side note, the clips from the other series are not in the correct aspect ratio.

I think there's potential here but you need to come up with a more specific objective, and maybe make the effects a bit more uniform to finish the video as it is. Alternatively you might want to adapt some of what you came up with into another video or two.

rook2pawn
Org Profile

Post by rook2pawn » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:13 am

Cyrix wrote:
I used to have that problem with my videos (or maybe it was just bad editing >_> <_< ), so that comment sold me on watching it :P

As an FYI, the OP forum rules state: "Keep in mind that this is for Opinion Exchange. If you make a topic asking for an opinion, please offer an opinion in return" I don't actually particularly care, don't feel obligated to give me an opinion on anything for giving you feedback on a WIP :P .

I think it's all right - you have some cool effects, and I was liking it for the first 30 seconds or so, but after a while it really feels like it's just an effects test video without a specific objective. I like the transition at :45 when the faster drums start, but then you didn't keep up with the higher tempo, so it ends up feeling like a false start. If you started cutting faster or doing some effect to match the new tempo, that part would work a lot better.

The stars could use a lot of improvement. Plain white circles do not make good stars. A good start is to have them slightly tinted different colors (I usually do stars in Photoshop with a scatter brush set to a slight brightness and opacity jitter). You might also want to play with blurring some of the stars in different ways to give them a fancier appearance. A good trick to getting decent looking cross-shaped stars is make a duplicate copy of the layer that has the stars, give one of the copies a horizontal directional blur and the other a vertical directional blur. Don't do it to all of the stars, or they'll look too uniform. Or, if you used a brush, find a nice star brush.

Around 1:10, you have a shot of young Lucy on the left, for some reason she's not cut out well there like the rest of the clips; maybe that part just isn't done yet, but it doesn't look very good. Feather doesn't really solve bad masking. I like the hallway part right after that though.

I assume Saikano is the other anime that appears in a few clips? I agree with more or less, it was really jarring to have a handful of random shots from something else in what is almost entirely an Elfen Lied video. As a side note, the clips from the other series are not in the correct aspect ratio.

I think there's potential here but you need to come up with a more specific objective, and maybe make the effects a bit more uniform to finish the video as it is. Alternatively you might want to adapt some of what you came up with into another video or two.
First thank you so much for taking the time both of you to watch my video. I really appreciate it and it means alot there are so many videos out there to "watch".
Yes, when I made this video I didn't understand "theme", or "pacing", or anything really. I think I have matured considerably as a person since and I think that maturity can be reflectd in the new video i plan on making that takes a few of the strong themes from this video and merges them into something more coherent. Also the inclusion of Saikano was a REALLY bad choice, other than the fact that Saikano and Lucy are both somewhat vicious yet softies. Yes, bad masking i am guilty of it!! The Overall "jarring" part is a symptom of being a poor judger of taste and concept. I can't wait to get back on the saddle and revisit this project with a new hard drive and new spirit.

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:23 pm

I like this. I think it's sort of clean and simple. The effects are a nice touch as well.

Return to “Works in Progress”