How are you organizing with your footage?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Re: How are you organizing with your footage?

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:13 pm

EvaFan wrote:I've never tried to edit with an avs file that had more than 26 episodes worth of footage on it, but if I was using alot more sources (I doubt I'll ever do another multisource AMV but who knows), I'd probably create an AVS file for each of them with a setmemorymax() limiter on them all, having 16gb ram helps alot though wouldn't have to limit alot if even having to limit at all. However I don't have seeking problems for the most part, I've blatantly told/showed how I do it on the avs forums. I don't recommend how I do things since mirk is against it but I'm not afraid to poke around at how easy everything is for me this way. 30+ fps with deinterlacing, color editing, temporal and spatial smoothing, and sometimes line darkening is very achievable with 6 cores at 4.0Ghz+MT and possibly even achievable with a high end graphics card + 4GHz single core like on the speed tests I showed there. Sometimes scrubbing stalls slightly if I'm scrubbing really fast but otherwise its not a problem. The clips on the timeline may not play at a viewable speed sometimes if I've added alot of fx to them but thats what rendering preview files is for. I honestly have no problems so there's no point to do any more work than necessary when it comes to source preperation. I've never had a problem with frame accuracy but I doubt even with a significantly long AVS file it would be a problem.

Assuming there was heavy problems with scrubbing or anything for that matter I just do the editing with only the deinterlacing and color filters applied then add all the cleaning filters after rendering.

I might try making a few avs files for all the sources I have ripped on my computer some time just to see how well multi avs editing goes with MT.
You probably want avs files for each dvd or per couple episodes... :shock:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:36 pm

nah its no big deal having a full season or more on one avs file, you just scrub around for clips or if you already have ideas (most cases) u just leave markers everywhere so you can easily go back to those spots. Also it helps to have a bigger source window for a longer scrub line in the odd chance your just clicking around. One benefit I've come to enjoy alot about this method is that if for some reason I thought a part was cleaned bad or the whole thing could have been cleaned better I can just do it on the fly instead of making the clip or the whole source again.

Since I'm posting again:
EvaFan wrote:add all the cleaning filters after rendering.
Mistake, meant after editing and before rendering the final product. Adding cleaning filters to something already rendered would be a big mistake unless its very minimal.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

Zanzaben
Org Profile

Post by Zanzaben » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:06 pm

Ok so I feel like I am doing this incredibly wrong right now. For me all of my anime are .mkv files (so that I can turn the subs on or off for when I am watching or working on a AMV). However Premier Pro doesn't like it when I try to import an mkv file so I go down and hunt for the clips each time (watching 1 or 2 episodes at a time at 4-8 times speed) . Once I find a clip I record that part into an uncompressed avi and throw that into Premier Pro. The problem I run into is that all my avi clips are massive in size so I can't really keep them. I am positive I am doing this in one of the most inefficient ways possible so people with experience in the video world a better method would be much appreciated.

This comes to mind http://xkcd.com/763/
Zanz Bonus Points Tally
8bit_samurai: 1, CodeZTM: 1, Eake4: 2, ibabrak: 5, Mirkosp: 4, tipsd9video: 1, uncreative: 1

Haus Haberdasher
Org Profile

Post by Haus Haberdasher » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:04 pm

I make new clips for each new video, then store those on one of my external hard drives on the off chance that I'll need them for another video. I tend to only use about one third of the clips I make, so I guess there's a possibility that the unused ones could end up in another video. I can never bring myself to delete any clips, so I hoard them up.

Taite
Org Profile

Post by Taite » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:48 am

I make a lagarith avi of every single episode in a series (unless it's a useless repeat like in NANA) and put it in their designated anime folder on my external drive. Then I import all of the episodes into Vegas, put them on the far right side of my timeline, mute their audio track or delete it, spread them out a bit so I can see where one episode starts and another ends, put the song I'm using on the far left side of the timeline, and from there I just edit the normal way, taking away clips from the episodes and putting them on the song.

I hate searching for clips I want to use before I make an amv and then encode those little bits because it's time consuming, boring, I'm way too lazy, and more often than not I find a better clip to be used. :| I'm typically very familiar with the sources I'm editing, but even if I don't know what I'm doing, it's a hell of a lot faster to be looking at the episode in Vegas rather than skimming in Vdub and picking and choosing small scenes. Also, it's less boring, and I always find new and better scenes.

And for me, a 1TB external drive covers everything. I'm not one of those crazy people with hundreds of anime anyhow. I have specific tastes, so I have about 20 anime. I don't like editing 50 episode anime though, like FMA, because the way I edit (putting all the episodes into a timeline) makes that more tedious, unless I'm really familiar with the source. But for me, I have movies, ovas, then 11-26 episode series. NANA is the only long series I have, and even if an anime is divided into two seasons, like Honey and Clover, it's fine. :P

Sometimes if I know I'm making an amv focused on two characters or whatever, I can eliminate some episodes, but I'll typically still put them all in, then just delete large chunks of episodes where the character doesn't appear to reduce clutter. I don't like not importing the episode at all though, even if they're only in it a bit, because I may miss even just a facial expression or a minor scene that's perfect. So even if it's a long anime like NANA, I still put in all the episodes. :nose: And for me, I don't have any issues navigating through them or becoming overwhelmed by all of the footage and excess scenes.

Oh, and I have no issues with vegas becoming slow because of this. When I edit, Vegas is the only thing that's open anyhow. It'll typically be a bit laggy to start with, but the longer I edit, the smoother it gets.

So even though it seems that the program would become slow and all that clicking around to get the scene I want would slow me down and making editing longer... I make all of my videos in under 4 hours typically, and those are full length, minimum 3 minute amvs. :?
Image Image

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:50 am

Taite wrote: (unless it's a useless repeat like in NANA)
That was only one episode that repeated, don't hate :evil:
Use a less cool reference, like Haruhi's Endless Eight.

tuxedomarty
Org Profile

Post by tuxedomarty » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:53 am

For most of my videos, I use DVDs unless it's an anime that's rare and out of print in the US or hasn't been released in the US at all. That's where I go to look for the footage elsewhere.
I can't stand weeaboos and people who keep badmouthing dubbed anime and say it sucks.

Taite
Org Profile

Post by Taite » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:02 am

pacotacoshell wrote:
Taite wrote: (unless it's a useless repeat like in NANA)
That was only one episode that repeated, don't hate :evil:
Use a less cool reference, like Haruhi's Endless Eight.
Whaat, there's like, 3 episodes at least!
And trufax.
Zanzaben wrote:Ok so I feel like I am doing this incredibly wrong right now. For me all of my anime are .mkv files (so that I can turn the subs on or off for when I am watching or working on a AMV). However Premier Pro doesn't like it when I try to import an mkv file so I go down and hunt for the clips each time (watching 1 or 2 episodes at a time at 4-8 times speed) . Once I find a clip I record that part into an uncompressed avi and throw that into Premier Pro. The problem I run into is that all my avi clips are massive in size so I can't really keep them. I am positive I am doing this in one of the most inefficient ways possible so people with experience in the video world a better method would be much appreciated.

This comes to mind http://xkcd.com/763/
And mkvs are container files which is why editing programs don't take them (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) But if you're downloading mkv episodes, you're going to end up making an avi out it either way. Probably shouldn't be downloading anime anyhow, but we're all a bit guilty of that :roll: Nonetheless, I'll still say it: don't download anime, buy the dvds!

And if it works, then it's not inefficient. I'm sure everyone would think my method of organizing and encoding episodes for editing is inefficient, but it works for me so it doesn't matter. However, if you can't keep your clips, then you can 1) get an external drive, or 2) delete them like you have been. If you want nice quality, then you need to keep exporting uncompressed avis, and that's why the files are big. If they're small, that typically means the quality isn't good. It's just a sacrifice we all have to take.
Image Image

Rendakor
Falling Like A Star
Org Profile

Post by Rendakor » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:37 am

I don't understand why people buy external drives instead of additional internal drives. They're generally cheaper and access data faster, and installing a HD is pretty simple.
Image Image

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:48 am

Rendakor wrote:I don't understand why people buy external drives instead of additional internal drives. They're generally cheaper and access data faster, and installing a HD is pretty simple.
There are some editors who's probably maxed out all of the available slots in their computers or use laptops.

I have 6TB of space, but I also have 5-6 externals.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Return to “General AMV”