Forums have been reorganized

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Forums have been reorganized

Post by Kariudo » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:07 pm

The reorganization mentioned in this thread is now done. There are still a few loose ends that need to be tied up, but this will be the board structure for the foreseeable future.

Here's a summary of the changes that were made:
  • Recommended AMVs and AMV Suggestions were moved to be subforums of General AMV.
  • Opinion Exchange, AMV Contests, and Org Supported Contests were re-ordered
  • The Other ICs section of Org Supported Contests was removed.
  • Heads Up! was removed. There will be a sticky in General Discussion for that shortly.
  • Anime Screencaps was moved to be a subforum of General Anime. A few threads were moved into General Anime.
  • Anime Conventions and Convention Exchange were merged.
  • General Video was renamed "Video & Audio Help", and moved to the top of the Editing & Technology category. The old audio help forum was merged into this.
  • Capturing and Ripping, AviSynth, and Compression, Encoding, and Converting were merged into Footage Help.
  • General Music was moved to be a subforum of General Discussion, and renamed to Music Discussion.
  • Special Effects was renamed to Visual Effects
  • Site Help and Site Feedback were merged
If you're having problems seeing/posting somewhere, let me know, and I'll get to fixing it.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: Forums have been reorganized

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:10 pm

Issues seen so far:

* Topics with no new posts in them that were moved are marked as having new posts, and the "bring me to new posts" action you're supposed to get when you click on the little icon near the topic just puts you at page one.
* The "new threads" icon appears on General even when all sub-forums have been marked read and all threads in General AMV proper have been read.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:38 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Issues seen so far:

* Topics with no new posts in them that were moved are marked as having new posts, and the "bring me to new posts" action you're supposed to get when you click on the little icon near the topic just puts you at page one.
* The "new threads" icon appears on General even when all sub-forums have been marked read and all threads in General AMV proper have been read.
They are likely both just cache issues, I would assume they will fix themselves in a while by just using the forum normally (as in, you'll need to mark them as read, and then it won't fuck up anymore, hopefully). Unfortunately the new threads/posts feature of phpbb is kinda iffy on its own. :sweat:

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:16 pm

* Move the (dead?) IC4 forum into Org-supported contests as sub-forum
* Remove the Quickening/PE shortcuts from the top (IMO they are completely unnecessary now that the forum is less cluttered)
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:24 pm

Otohiko wrote:* Remove the Quickening/PE shortcuts from the top (IMO they are completely unnecessary now that the forum is less cluttered)
Or put the actual Quickening and PE forums up there while they're active. I mean, if that's where IC4 is, why not the other Org-supported contests? The shortcuts are okay, but they don't reflect new posts so you end up scrolling down anyway.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Ileia wrote:
Otohiko wrote:* Remove the Quickening/PE shortcuts from the top (IMO they are completely unnecessary now that the forum is less cluttered)
Or put the actual Quickening and PE forums up there while they're active. I mean, if that's where IC4 is, why not the other Org-supported contests? The shortcuts are okay, but they don't reflect new posts so you end up scrolling down anyway.

x2

I scroll down and look for the orange. >>

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:40 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:
Ileia wrote:

x2

Yup, thus my suggestion. I always check for the oranges down there anyway.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:41 am

Otohiko wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:
Ileia wrote:Or put the actual Quickening and PE forums up there while they're active. I mean, if that's where IC4 is, why not the other Org-supported contests? The shortcuts are okay, but they don't reflect new posts so you end up scrolling down anyway.

x2

IMHO, it's okay as is. The links at the top are more like "endorsed advertising" right now, and they're not really hurting anything. Besides, moving whole forums could end up causing more issues than it would solve. :P
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:05 am

Otohiko wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:
Ileia wrote: Or put the actual Quickening and PE forums up there while they're active. I mean, if that's where IC4 is, why not the other Org-supported contests? The shortcuts are okay, but they don't reflect new posts so you end up scrolling down anyway.

x2

Yeah, that's the downside to the redirect links. The reason IC4 wasn't brought into OSC is because it was already well underway when OSC was made, and moving a very active forum (at the time) to be a new subforum of a new section didn't sound like a good idea.
GloryQuestor wrote:IMHO, it's okay as is. The links at the top are more like "endorsed advertising" right now, and they're not really hurting anything.
Perhaps we can give new events some time with a redirect link up top (say, a month or two) to help the sign-up and initial rounds, and then rely on people looking at the subforum list for OSC.
GloryQuestor wrote: Besides, moving whole forums could end up causing more issues than it would solve. :P
That's pretty much exactly what I was doing :amv:

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:56 am

Kariudo wrote:
GloryQuestor wrote: Besides, moving whole forums could end up causing more issues than it would solve. :P
That's pretty much exactly what I was doing :amv:
Heh. I just didn't think you'd want to do more of it. :sweat:
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

Return to “Site Announcements”