Adobe Premiere PRO doesn't show the full video length

|Sangino|
Org Profile

Adobe Premiere PRO doesn't show the full video length

Post by |Sangino| » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:23 am

Guys,How you been doing??!
I recently made some short AMV.Just 30 sec. or less (not a big deal anyways:P).But now I want to EVOLVE and want to make full length AMV's.I have made my footage,cleaned it up etc. etc. and it came up 8 GB a video...Now when I open the video in Adobe Premiere PRO it doesn't open full length(example is a 10:30 min video) but just a miserable 2:20 min video.Do you guys have any idea on how to make Premiere to open the whole video??!If yes please help.....I'm so desperate right now. :'-(>>>

Have a good day,
|Sangino|

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Adobe Premiere PRO doesn't show the full video length

Post by mirkosp » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:17 am

For some reason, Premiere seldomly gets duration and/or framerate wrong with big lossless files, I don't quite get why either. It's one of the reasons why lossless clips are suggested too: keeps the duration of the single clips on the short side. You can use virtualdub to automatically make clips every X frames so you can have shorter clips automatically if that's fine with you.
Another solution (albeit not too nice) is actually loading the lossless through avisynth (assuming you have the avs plugin installed), because that does solve the issue too (you are loading a small file in premiere and the frameserving is left to avisynth, which can handle those big files just fine).

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:26 am

I've never had Premiere get duration wrong - After Effects does what you're describing if you have footage with frame-rate mismatches to the project file (i.e. 23.976, 23.98, and 24 are all different)... Also, sometimes it just doesn't like 23.976 at all. Premiere handles it like a champ though.

OP - clarify which version of Premiere you're working with. There's been like 8 major release (boxed) versions of "Premiere Pro" sold in the past 9 years.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

|Sangino|
Org Profile

Post by |Sangino| » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:29 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:I've never had Premiere get duration wrong - After Effects does what you're describing if you have footage with frame-rate mismatches to the project file (i.e. 23.976, 23.98, and 24 are all different)... Also, sometimes it just doesn't like 23.976 at all. Premiere handles it like a champ though.

OP - clarify which version of Premiere you're working with. There's been like 8 major release (boxed) versions of "Premiere Pro" sold in the past 9 years.
So,what you are basically saying is that this error might be a FRAME RATE error/mismatch??Because now I have updated from 4.0.0 to 4.2.1 (because I like cs4 not 5 :uhoh: )....
Maybe is just the 23.976... :(

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:31 am

Did you try to make that imported scene longer on timeline? D:
Still better than that MMO.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:48 am

|Sangino| wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:I've never had Premiere get duration wrong - After Effects does what you're describing if you have footage with frame-rate mismatches to the project file (i.e. 23.976, 23.98, and 24 are all different)... Also, sometimes it just doesn't like 23.976 at all. Premiere handles it like a champ though.

So,what you are basically saying is that this error might be a FRAME RATE error/mismatch??Because now I have updated from 4.0.0 to 4.2.1 (because I like cs4 not 5 :uhoh: )....
Maybe is just the 23.976... :(
Possibly. As I said, I've seen the frame rate mismatch bug that sounds a lot like you're describing in After Effects CS3 and CS5. I never ran CS4, nor have I ever seen the bug in Premiere at all. I imagine they reuse code modules across the two though, and if it's a bug in the portion of the code that does the importing or handling of the file object within the program's view, it'd make sense to be present in Premiere in some form as well.

On the other hand, it could be something other than a bug. An actual frame rate mismatch could do the same thing. Is your project set to exactly the same frame rate as the file you're importing? Are you telling Premiere to interpret it differently? Are you using VFR video?
| | |

|Sangino|
Org Profile

Post by |Sangino| » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:58 am

Milk Or Life! wrote:Did you try to make that imported scene longer on timeline? D:
Yes,I tried!!No results at all! :|
Is your project set to exactly the same frame rate as the file you're importing? Are you telling Premiere to interpret it differently? Are you using VFR video?
Yes,the framerate is set the same...I don't know how to tell PPro how to interpret... :(

And finally what is a VFR video??! :sweat:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:10 am

|Sangino| wrote:And finally what is a VFR video??! :sweat:
Variable frame rate. It shouldn't be an issue if you're using properly prepped footage... If you're trying to load in distribution encoded (lossy) stuff like fansubs or the like, then you'd have something to worry about.
| | |

|Sangino|
Org Profile

Post by |Sangino| » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:16 am

If I encounter such a problem is there a way for me to fix that??! :uhoh:

Sorry,but I'm at my learning stage you see... :book:

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:28 pm

Most fansubs don't use VFR and if they do, you can demux the timecodes. Then split your video into different chunks for each time block (just use trim() and some clips from avisynth for this) so that each clip has it's own framerate. Next, when working on your video, use dummy blocks of cropped frames so that sync isn't lost. When you encode, replace each split part with the correct frames and write a timecodes file for your new sequence. Probably more complicated than you'd expect but if you know exactly how your sync should be, then it's relatively simple. Maybe have a different timeline for each framerate so you know sync works. I would suggest this only for people VERY familiar with avisynth and mkvmerge.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”