How are you organizing with your footage?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
5za
Org Profile

Post by 5za » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:20 am

Ok so I've been wondering about this for a long time - How do you go about collecting your footage for each AMV?
Do you have them cut and stored permanently or do you actually go hunt down clips each time you've got a song?

I mean collecting footage is THE most time consuming task in Amv making and some people work with the same anime in different songs ......so what are you doing? especially with action animes where you've just got that perfect move at the perfect beat but not much sense or meaning to the whole amv.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Re: How are you organizing with your footage?

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:59 am

From the capture to dvd ripping-making huffy/lagarith clips era (1999-2010 for me), I would always name my clips like "dbz_gokupunchesvegeta.avi".

Once I started using full dvd rips via avs scripts, my footage would be "DBZ_1-6.avs", "NarutoShippuden_1-4.avs".

I usually have a good knack of knowing where footage is and what episodes they're in.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:13 pm

I use full DVD/BRD rips that I sub-clip in the NLE I'm working in and bin them based on whatever criteria I feel is appropriate (usually by character(s) - sometimes referencing "camera" actions like pans or transitions).

Having never made a massive various video, I've never hit the point where my process has become overly cumbersome in terms of storage, but I know it would take several TB of storage space to do what I do with even a 30 series video. I'm slowly building up a massive storage vault to handle the number of lossless files that are piling up on me.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Rendakor
Falling Like A Star
Org Profile

Post by Rendakor » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:08 pm

I'm like Bashar; I rip each episode into a lossless avi, then create subclips relevant to the video I'm working on with my NLE. I just bought a second 2TB hard drive to accommodate this as the first one filled up quickly once I got into making AMVs.
Image Image

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:15 am

I throw all the episodes in Vegas, turn on the song that I'm editing to on repeat, and then get every possible clip that fits for my story. Then after that, I sift through everything again, looking for the ones that I really like out of the bunch. Then I just start editing. Sometimes if I have over an hour or two worth of clips, then I have to repeat step 3 and sift through them again.

Kimberly
Org Profile

Post by Kimberly » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:09 am

I skim through my source with a video player, then I go to Vdub and cut clips that I plan on using from the source (they go from a few seconds to a few minutes). I don't name my clips anything related to the scenes, actually. I just number them from 1 to about 150ish for a full. Or I'll name them A-Z if it's just going to be something small. A while after I finish my video, or if I just don't feel like editing it anymore, I erase them from my computer. Don't have enough space on my laptop to save everything, and too broke to get an external! Hah.
ImageImage

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:33 am

I rip it all and create 1 avs file to edit with AWWW YEAAA... You bros that take forever finding, clipping, converting, and wasting HD space before even touching the NLE, I feel for you...

Not. 8-)
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:49 am

I prefer to clip in my NLE as well. However, what I do is create the clips and place them on a separate timeline in order of when I clip them. Then I scrub that timeline for clips that I think will work for segments of the video. I keep the full eps also on another timeline with the clips removed from them so I know what I already have and can go back and find new clips if I need to.

The dance series are the only videos I've ever clipped outside the NLE, but that's because the gifs are clips themselves and any episode footage I use I just name the title and a number. I use screenshots and begin and ending frames to tell what each clip is.
ImageImageImageImage

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:17 am

EvaFan wrote:I rip it all and create 1 avs file to edit with AWWW YEAAA... You bros that take forever finding, clipping, converting, and wasting HD space before even touching the NLE, I feel for you...

Not. 8-)
How do you ensure frame-accuracy, ease of scrubbing, or even HDD seek time not becoming an issue with 10+ hour long files?
Even I don't do massive multi-anime videos, but I can see a single AVS being a bitch to scrub through with, say, 20 different series in it at a minimum 5 hours/series.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:36 am

I've never tried to edit with an avs file that had more than 26 episodes worth of footage on it, but if I was using alot more sources (I doubt I'll ever do another multisource AMV but who knows), I'd probably create an AVS file for each of them with a setmemorymax() limiter on them all, having 16gb ram helps alot though wouldn't have to limit alot if even having to limit at all. However I don't have seeking problems for the most part, I've blatantly told/showed how I do it on the avs forums. I don't recommend how I do things since mirk is against it but I'm not afraid to poke around at how easy everything is for me this way. 30+ fps with deinterlacing, color editing, temporal and spatial smoothing, and sometimes line darkening is very achievable with 6 cores at 4.0Ghz+MT and possibly even achievable with a high end graphics card + 4GHz single core like on the speed tests I showed there. Sometimes scrubbing stalls slightly if I'm scrubbing really fast but otherwise its not a problem. The clips on the timeline may not play at a viewable speed sometimes if I've added alot of fx to them but thats what rendering preview files is for. I honestly have no problems so there's no point to do any more work than necessary when it comes to source preperation. I've never had a problem with frame accuracy but I doubt even with a significantly long AVS file it would be a problem.

Assuming there was heavy problems with scrubbing or anything for that matter I just do the editing with only the deinterlacing and color filters applied then add all the cleaning filters after rendering.

I might try making a few avs files for all the sources I have ripped on my computer some time just to see how well multi avs editing goes with MT.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General AMV”