What'd you guys think of toonami?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
machina21
Org Profile

Re: What'd you guys think of toonami?

Post by machina21 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:14 pm

They played my favorite GITS:SAC 2nd Gig episode last week, that kid is such a loser...

I don't know how long this new iteration will or can hold out, the guy running the thing says they don't really have money. You kinda need money to make things worthwhile. The timeslot doesn't do it any favors as well. One of the things the new "Toonami" needs is a killer app. Back then, the old Toonami had two: Gundam Wing and the 800 pound Gorilla named Dragon Ball Z. Maybe Panty and Stocking could be that, considering how utterly outrageous it is. Certainly Funimation thinks something could be gained hence the push to get it on the block.

I'll be watching and hoping something comes of it, but i'm skeptical.

And they could call some of us here to make new promos for the shows. :awesome:
"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere."

AceD
I AM THE BEST
Org Profile

Post by AceD » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:21 pm

gotegenks wrote:
AceD wrote:It's good for attracting new fans to anime i guess. For the seasoned anime watcher who has had the internet at his disposal for years and hates to watch reruns on television and has no sense of nostalgia either because it's just not there or they didn't watch toonami as a kid it's useless....
I did watch Toonami as a kid (DBZ, Gundam Wing and Tenchi), but yes..i don't get nostalgic about it, i just see it as something from the past that has no reason to be in the future. As for new stuff, why would you wait 1 week for a new episode of Soul Eater or w/e when you can download the bluray and watch it whenever you please?

aerotem
show 'em my judo throw
Org Profile

Post by aerotem » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:21 pm

AceD wrote:
gotegenks wrote:
AceD wrote:It's good for attracting new fans to anime i guess. For the seasoned anime watcher who has had the internet at his disposal for years and hates to watch reruns on television and has no sense of nostalgia either because it's just not there or they didn't watch toonami as a kid it's useless....
I did watch Toonami as a kid (DBZ, Gundam Wing and Tenchi), but yes..i don't get nostalgic about it, i just see it as something from the past that has no reason to be in the future. As for new stuff, why would you wait 1 week for a new episode of Soul Eater or w/e when you can download the bluray and watch it whenever you please?
Because Toonami makes everything better, duh.

TEKnician
Org Profile

What'd you guys think of toonami?

Post by TEKnician » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:36 pm

aerotem wrote:
AceD wrote:
gotegenks wrote:
Because Toonami makes everything better, duh.
:up:
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

AceD
I AM THE BEST
Org Profile

Post by AceD » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:50 pm

aerotem wrote:Because Toonami makes everything better, duh.
Sounds legit, am convinced.

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:40 pm

AceD wrote:
aerotem wrote:Because Toonami makes everything better, duh.
Sounds legit, am convinced.

Quoted Image converted to link:
http://i55.tinypic.com/124c8bq.gif
They'd probably make an AMV out of it to try and sponsor it too. Like making one like this for example :ying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_w9b3Tl ... ure=relmfu

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:17 pm

AceD wrote:
gotegenks wrote:
okay, as a hardcore anime fan (or even semi-hardcore), toonami probably shouldn't be your PRIMARY source of anime, but it's fun to watch, they've got the best bumpers in my, and probably every other fan's opinion, and they show (or used to show) pretty much, little AMVs, and that's probably what i love most about the bumps now.
but in the bigger picture, supporting toonami means toonami gets money which means the anime industry gets a boost, especially the anime industry in america.

that's only ideal though, i'm not one of those that really really believes in toonami as the messiah of anime or saturday nights, just optimistic i guess, i watch because it's fun to watch, even if i have seen everything they're showing.

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:09 am

Soul Eater...put that on now and you'd have a whole new explosion of younger fans.

Bakemonogatari....not so much. I mean, remember when they ran FLCL a couple of times? The general consensus I was seeing was "wtf is this shit" :|

inthesto
Beef Basket
Org Profile

Post by inthesto » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:39 pm

yo i still jerk off to tenchi
Sukunai, Real Canadian Hero wrote:Note to any Muslims present. Abuse a female in my presence, and you are being sent to a hospital emergency ward with life threatening injuries. And no human law will make me change my mind.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:56 am

I don't think I've ever watched Toonami..

I do remember catching a lot of super late night Adult Swim when I was in my early 20s...

When I was a child I was watching stuff like Aeon Flux on MTV, or catching weird stuff like Green Legend Ran or Project A-ko on "Saturday Anime" on Sci-fi Channel. (F*U Sy-Fy). Watching Ranma 1/2 on a friend's recorded tapes (I donno what channel he got them off of, but he claimed it was some kind of satellite channel).

Return to “General Discussion”