AMV Salad 6...next stop: ZENKAIKON

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
Squancho
Org Profile

Re: AMV Salad 6...let the (post-prod) madness begin!

Post by Squancho » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:05 am

Actually, we're now at 15m02s.
We'll be okay.
I'm gonna render this and upload to an unlisted YT entry.
Then I'll post the link here for your perusal.

Wait here...
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:23 am

Here's the deal.
We're very short on time.
Follow this link and look over the beta.
You have 24 hours to make any final suggestions.
Then I turn this in to Scott for a time frame reference while Gael and Susan work on the closing credits video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp9wyzjdVXI

...now GO! :sweat:
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
(2020 - 2021)

SammySamaProductions
Org Profile

Post by SammySamaProductions » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:32 am

The first thing that I saw and thought I'd mention is to cut out the AMVS6 place holder bit right after the opening. You can see it when it cuts into the first gag clip...thought it would look better if that was removed. *goes back to finish watching*

Love the title for my FMP clip ;P

I think this is pretty solid. I think with the new clips it's much stronger, the only thing I could think would be that it feels a bit long between mine and Moonbunnys gundam clips...seems like if hers was a clip or two sooner it would be more even? *shrugs* other than that great job everyone! :up:
ImageImage
ImageImage

SammySamaProductions
Org Profile

Post by SammySamaProductions » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:50 am

hey Deuce, do you know yet when AMVS5 will be played at AMA next weekend? the schedule's not out yet and just want to make sure if it's friday we get there on time :)
ImageImage
ImageImage

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:45 am

Funny you should ask.
We have a small programming block on Saturday, June 16.

Panel 1
11pm - AMV Award Show
Midnight - AMV Salad (showing ReHeated and 6)
1am - AMVs After Dark (18+)

Not showing AMVS5 since we'll be adding clips from that to ReHeated for next year.
There should be a buffer between when the full project shows and when its clips appear again.
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
(2020 - 2021)

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:23 pm

SammySamaProductions wrote:The first thing that I saw and thought I'd mention is to cut out the AMVS6 place holder bit right after the opening. You can see it when it cuts into the first gag clip...thought it would look better if that was removed. *goes back to finish watching*

Love the title for my FMP clip ;P

I think this is pretty solid. I think with the new clips it's much stronger, the only thing I could think would be that it feels a bit long between mine and Moonbunnys gundam clips...seems like if hers was a clip or two sooner it would be more even? *shrugs* other than that great job everyone! :up:
Already mentioned to you on Skype Deuce, but I'll mention here. Pretty much just the Enchantress one being closer to the middle since it's a slower clip and right now it's near the climax. Very minor. For your Gundam clip Sammy, in the actual production they happen at 5:17, 10:02, and 13:38 which on 'paper' looks like good spacing so they have a subtle ramp up without being too close, but may not necessarily be true. Where do you think yours would work better, like a clip or two closer to moonbunny's? I suggested moving Enchantress to after Chobits Sentry Mode, maybe it can go after that? It'll work to bring people's energy back up.

Also that first title is placeholder for now. We tried a version where it cuts it off, but I didn't think it worked very well. When it cuts off immediately there it cuts off the song prematurely, and it just feels very strange, and leaves no time for the audience to process what they just saw. I've been asking various people what they think would be a fun title to cut off. The original title was "Rebirth" written exactly like that in quotes. Some ideas I've been playing with are "Derpy Hooves" or "The Ballad of Derpy Hooves" for a random MLP reference (because I thought the story of Derpy Hooves' existence was hilarious, even if I haven't seen the show) and "Spent" in reference to Muttsurini's nose blast. Maybe even something like "Tissue please..." ....actually that one would work pretty well ^^ Have to consider that one :P

If you have a thought for the faux title, like a general joke that's not too specific or makes a subtle reference that can be got by the audience pretty fast, let me know. It has to be understood pretty much as soon as people see it for obvious reasons.

This can be changed as long as we get this version in and we have the time given to us. We can easily reduce the cut off time, but we won't be able to add seconds later, so for timing purposes right now, I think we should only do clip arrangements rather than any timing changes that aren't proven.

Moonbunny, I'll be gone for the weekend and editing at a conference, if you've got anything started for the intro, if you render a test or something, please e-mail me with a link so I know what direction you're going. One thing I need to do is make sure I don't use the same footage you do for the Chobits guy :)
ImageImageImage

SammySamaProductions
Org Profile

Post by SammySamaProductions » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:48 pm

Deuce Loosely wrote:Funny you should ask.
We have a small programming block on Saturday, June 16.

Panel 1
11pm - AMV Award Show
Midnight - AMV Salad (showing ReHeated and 6)
1am - AMVs After Dark (18+)

Not showing AMVS5 since we'll be adding clips from that to ReHeated for next year.
There should be a buffer between when the full project shows and when its clips appear again.

...so the Salads will be a year off? AMVS5 wasn't shown last year which confuses me...you'd think that you'd want to have the full project shown so people know what it's from..or are you using that as a teaser?

but that programing block is convenient. I'll need a nap I think between the last AMV contest and then ^_^
ImageImage
ImageImage

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:23 pm

No, we did show AMVS5 last year...twice (almost).
Remember the first time we got cut off and I had to show it after OMG WTF to fill time since we had the room until the building closed?
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
(2020 - 2021)

SammySamaProductions
Org Profile

Post by SammySamaProductions » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:34 pm

Deuce Loosely wrote:No, we did show AMVS5 last year...twice (almost).
Remember the first time we got cut off and I had to show it after OMG WTF to fill time since we had the room until the building closed?
yeah but the thing was that no one knew about it and I thought the new Salads were shown as Betas. I know a bunch of people who skipped last year so they would see it finalized this year because that's how it'd been shown. *shrugs* I mean if it's already done then there's nothing to worry about, I just thought that that's the way things were done. Did that make sense?
ImageImage
ImageImage

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:22 pm

SammySamaProductions wrote:
Deuce Loosely wrote:No, we did show AMVS5 last year...twice (almost).
yeah but the thing was that no one knew about it and I thought the new Salads were shown as Betas. I know a bunch of people who skipped last year so they would see it finalized this year because that's how it'd been shown. *shrugs* I mean if it's already done then there's nothing to worry about, I just thought that that's the way things were done. Did that make sense?
When the idea of creating a "best of" retrospective from the first four Salads came up, I thought it would be a good idea to bring everyone who have never seen it up to date and a chance for those who have been watching from the beginning to revisit the best moments.

The reason I decided to skip showing AMVS5 as a feature this year (and will likely do the same for future episodes) is to make room for ReHeated and still beta-test the new episode.

The thing that makes this year different is the final deadline for Otakon's fan-produced parodies is the same as the first day of AMA, which means we'll actually be showing the "final" version that will premiere at Otakon.

I think it a better idea to show the new project as "beta" than make the AMA faithful wait an entire year for the full experience and I certainly don't wanna present an earlier render of AMVS6. :P

Dave and I are on board for AMVS7 so we'll be entering out SEVENTH year as an MEP.
I think this is rather impressive.
I'd like to think you will all be joining us. :beer:

Also, it's interesting to note that AMV Hell 6 will also be premiering at Otakon.
I'm not at all worried about this.
AMV Salad has more than established itself as a separate entity and a very different clip-based MEP than theirs (more coherent, themed, less crass, etc).
Granted, AMV Hell was the initial inspiration for this project seven years ago BUT we have also been more productive, turning out one new, fresh project each year (not including ReHeated).

Anyway, it's not about competition and I doubt seriously anyone is gonna have to choose between Hell and Salad when Otakon rolls around.
I just happen to think, even as an objective view, that our product is much tastier. ;)

I totally went off on a tangent there but you get the point...
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
(2020 - 2021)

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”