Dealing with DMCA Takedown Notices

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Chiikaboom
memes
Org Profile

Re: Dealing with DMCA Takedown Notices

Post by Chiikaboom » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:08 am

I've had the same youtube account for 7-8 years. I've hardly had an issue with copyright strikes. I think i've only ever had 2 videos taken down, and the strikes are long gone now. Yet I have friends who are constantly making new accounts because they get strikes every other day. A lot of my friends wont even put the anime/song in the description to help prevent it from getting taken down, yet I have the anime and song listed in every single one of my videos (and I have like, 80+ videos uploaded). I dont even mention fair use in my descriptions.

So I dont think theres any way to prevent getting strikes on your videos, no matter what you put in your description, how old your account is, how popular your video is, etc. You're either lucky or you arent. In which case, I think im rather lucky |:>

Filing counter claims are easy peasy though - they scare you into thinking the copyright holders could take you to court (and thats true, they have every right to) but 99% of videos being taken down on a daily basis are because of copyrighted music or video and these companies are getting thousands and thousands of counter claims every day. I dont think they've ever responded to one because i've never once heard of a youtube user being sued over using copyrighted music or video. Correct me if im wrong.
Image ImageImage

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:14 am

Yeah, I've never had a single problem resolving a copyright claim :/

But I'm kinda with Code on the "it's just a placeholder" but I say kinda because I look at youtube as a "Oh, I might as well throw my video on there" or as a place to spam stupid promotions I make in a couple hours. In other words, I don't take it seriously at all. The way people obsess over views and subscribers kinda confuses me. :/

Remember back in the day when people would ask "Why do you edit" and everyone would always answer for teh wimmins or profit? I've basically just replaced wimmins/profit with views/subscribers in my head because it's just as stupid.

Youtube is a dumping ground. That doesn't mean I think are their editors are dumpy, far from it in fact. But it's youtube. Shit gets taken down constantly. File your claim and if it doesn't work, cry about it.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:31 am

I find not using the service in the first place to be the best course of action.

It's not the DMCA claims you have to worry about - companies are getting sick of dealing with the DMCA take-down process, so they're paying to have legislation crafted that gets rid of safe harbor and fair use. At the same time they're also crafting direct deals with youtube to issue non-DMCA take-downs and digital fingerprinting agreements that you cannot file counter claims against. The loud opposition to the former thus far is pushing a number of rights holders to the latter. The big problem with these agreements is that there is no oversight or challenges in place. The individuals that paid for the kill switches can take down anything they want to, whether they own the rights to it or not.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Chained(E)Studio
Org Profile

Post by Chained(E)Studio » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:36 pm

I only get "matched third party content" and so its blocked for some countries, mostly due to the music.

I used to file counter-claims and they worked perfectly fine. Though, Google changed their privacy rights this March, and so I am no longer comfortable using the counter-claim option. So if it goes down, it goes down. I keep most of my AMVs here now anyways, so if someone wants to view them they can follow the link on my account and do so =3.

If your other video's aren't infringement, I would make 2 different accounts with different emails, and keep the infringement and non-infringement separated.
Last edited by Chained(E)Studio on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:36 pm

Chiikaboom wrote:I've had the same youtube account for 7-8 years. I've hardly had an issue with copyright strikes. I think i've only ever had 2 videos taken down, and the strikes are long gone now. Yet I have friends who are constantly making new accounts because they get strikes every other day. A lot of my friends wont even put the anime/song in the description to help prevent it from getting taken down, yet I have the anime and song listed in every single one of my videos (and I have like, 80+ videos uploaded). I dont even mention fair use in my descriptions.

So I dont think theres any way to prevent getting strikes on your videos, no matter what you put in your description, how old your account is, how popular your video is, etc. You're either lucky or you arent. In which case, I think im rather lucky |:>
Youtube has some advanced video/audio scanner that can detect copyrighted footage/songs regardless of what you put in the description. Some people have tried to get around this by changing the pitch of the song, mirroring the footage, or adding a shit ton of video filters to make it look different. However, YouTube is also getting smart about this.

Even if your amvs have been fine for years, Youtube will catch you eventually. It's only a matter of time.

I uploaded Naruto Ball Z Shippuden to Youtube under a new account and it was flagged as soon as it was uploaded.
BasharOfTheAges wrote:I find not using the service in the first place to be the best course of action.
This.

Back in 2005-2006, youtube was a decent place to upload videos to get a new audience, but now they're more interested in looking out for themselves to avoid copyright infringement from other companies. Youtube is a gigantic audience (I think it's the #2 or #3 site next to google), but just remember while Youtube is big, the internet is much bigger.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:03 pm

Apparently there is this new nifty button you can click for when youtube calls you out on, you know, using shit that you don't actually own.
You click it to acknowledge the fact that you don't own it and you get this.
[R1] Forbidden Love
Your video may include the following copyrighted content:
Acknowledged claims

"Above & Beyond pres. OceanLab-Lonely Girl (Original Mix)", sound recording administered by:
Anjunabeats (Base79)
Ultra Records (MVR)

What does this mean?

Your video is still available worldwide. In some cases ads may appear next to your video. Please note that the video's status can change, if the policies chosen by the content owners change. Learn more about copyright on YouTube.
This claim does not affect your account status.
and if all else fails, there is a link underneath that to dispute the claim, even after you've acknowledge it.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Radical_Yue wrote: Remember back in the day when people would ask "Why do you edit" and everyone would always answer for teh wimmins or profit?
I still do it for the wimmins...

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:27 pm

Well, you're the king. You get the wimmins no matter what.

Besides, Otohiko and I are obviously the sexiest in that picture. :aimkissyface:
Also, you're too damn tall ;_; I was on my tiptoes and could barely make it into the picture :<

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:20 pm

I approve myself being included in the list of the wimminz :awesome:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:15 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:The way people obsess over views and subscribers kinda confuses me.
But the big numbers!!! They define me and help me measure my e-peen!

Return to “General AMV”