HELP with 3D effects?(manga & more mostly in AE)

IzayaNeko
Org Profile

HELP with 3D effects?(manga & more mostly in AE)

Post by IzayaNeko » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:31 pm

Okay i rly wonna try something new like.....doing manga(and not only) but look as much as possible real or 3D
For example..from this fantastic....amazing..that i can't describe more than that video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Uvc2-JIFc
I guess very well known video!
First i wanted to ask if the castle at 0:20 sec was made with AE or Cinematic 4D and if someone can show me?at least the basics i would be very happy <3
And second...how can i made the picture look so real,like at 0:53 till 0:56 ,1:07 till 1:09 and 2:11 till 2:16
I will love u forever if ya help me!and i will give u cookies....lot's of cookies! <3 ..xD

Brad
Org Profile

Re: HELP with 3D effects?(manga & more mostly in AE)

Post by Brad » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:04 pm

Well what I CAN tell you is, the vast majority of the stuff in the video was more than likely just made in After Effects using 2D layers in 3D space. The book at the very beginning, the cathedral at 00:20 and the sword at 2:11 looked like the only real 3D objects in the video. Anything else that looked "real" was just a 2D image manipulated in a way to give it more of a realistic texture. In fact it seemed like the majority of the video was using external textures/photos and not the manga itself (though I'll admit, I've never read Berserk so, it could be there). But, to get to your question, there's no one way anybody could just show you how to "make" a video like that. The techniques he/she used were probably learned over a long period of time and from several different disciplines. What I mean is, it wouldn't be the product of just one tutorial or anything like that, but a combination of many different practices. Does that make sense? My best suggestion would be to start getting heavy duty into learning the in's and out's of After Effects. Start looking up and following tutorials. If you want to do the actual real 3D stuff, find a copy of Cinema 4D (or 3DS Max or Maya or whatever... Personally I'm a C4D guy) and start learning that the same way.

Say, you could ask somebody to show you how somebody did one specific effect, but with a video like this, it's more like asking for an entire beginning-to-end course in motion graphics.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

IzayaNeko
Org Profile

Post by IzayaNeko » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:21 am

Well what I CAN tell you is, the vast majority of the stuff in the video was more than likely just made in After Effects using 2D layers in 3D space. The book at the very beginning, the cathedral at 00:20 and the sword at 2:11 looked like the only real 3D objects in the video. Anything else that looked "real" was just a 2D image manipulated in a way to give it more of a realistic texture. In fact it seemed like the majority of the video was using external textures/photos and not the manga itself (though I'll admit, I've never read Berserk so, it could be there). But, to get to your question, there's no one way anybody could just show you how to "make" a video like that. The techniques he/she used were probably learned over a long period of time and from several different disciplines. What I mean is, it wouldn't be the product of just one tutorial or anything like that, but a combination of many different practices. Does that make sense? My best suggestion would be to start getting heavy duty into learning the in's and out's of After Effects. Start looking up and following tutorials. If you want to do the actual real 3D stuff, find a copy of Cinema 4D (or 3DS Max or Maya or whatever... Personally I'm a C4D guy) and start learning that the same way.

Say, you could ask somebody to show you how somebody did one specific effect, but with a video like this, it's more like asking for an entire beginning-to-end course in motion graphics.
Well yeah i didn't expect anyone to make a hole tutorial just to show me how to make the cathedral for example!Nobody whould anyway!:PBut for easier things like..the book and the sword(at least they look easiers than the cathedral)would be nice to give me some advises or even a tutorial that they have seen on youtube!:)Also using one more programme it will only make me and my laptop cry!lol :lol: :lol:
But anyway!Thanks a lot:)

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:58 am

For the Cathedral, it could be made with a real life photo of a cathedral and colour correcting (mostly darkening) it. Masking the cathedral would come next which is probably the most time consuming part. You have to be accurate to how you want it to look. Not only the outline but also the windows and other blank spaces. Try to find a larger resolution image if you are zooming in like the video and having a bit of a blur can help too.
Ill have to watch the entire video if I want to help you with the sword and book so maybe later.

IzayaNeko
Org Profile

Post by IzayaNeko » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:36 pm

For the Cathedral, it could be made with a real life photo of a cathedral and colour correcting (mostly darkening) it. Masking the cathedral would come next which is probably the most time consuming part. You have to be accurate to how you want it to look. Not only the outline but also the windows and other blank spaces. Try to find a larger resolution image if you are zooming in like the video and having a bit of a blur can help too.
Ill have to watch the entire video if I want to help you with the sword and book so maybe later.
That would be very helpful if you help me a bit!Especialy with the sword!:D
Also yeah...the cathedral it could be real...but i think i saw a simmular one in the manga...not rly sure tho!O.o

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:23 am

Okay I watched the whole video and looking back at the sword well... you might have to use a 3D program to create that kind of sword or you could use a very difficult method in AE to create a 3D sword. I recommend the 3D editing method if you know what your doing unless you are very very good with After Effects and could draw photoshop plates of the original parts of the sword while stringing them together in AE.

Return to “Effects & Techniques”