Fake avis for usage in Sony Vegas

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Fake avis for usage in Sony Vegas

Post by Kevmaster » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:53 pm

When I was on my old computer, I used the makeavis.exe to create fake avi files of my avinsyth scripts for usage in Sony Vegas 6. It all worked well.

Now, a few years later, I got a new computer and I'm using Sony Vegas 10. I'm on Windows 7, 64 bit.

The process simply doesn't work anymore. The created files will not open in Vegas. Also tried vfapi after some research. Didn't work either. Is there any other way how I can use my avisynth scripts in Vegas or did this problem happen to anyone else and is there a way to work around it? (I prefer this method over creating lossless files, simply because that way I can still adjust the scripts and make them suit the final video outcome)

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Fake avis for usage in Sony Vegas

Post by mirkosp » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:48 pm

These days people suggest Pismo File Mount+AviSynth Virtual File System for fake avi editing. Windows will report the avi as a few gigabytes big when mounted but it won't actually be that big, it's just a fake filesize to trick the filesystem into thinking it's uncompressed.
However I really would suggest using lossless clips, it's not like you should do much filtering to begin with nowadays, as most recent sources are quite clean to begin with. For older animu, well, some filtering might help, but just get set on a script beforehand, it's better for editing too (if the lineart and colours changes due to filtering you modify, that could be troublesome for some effects).

Cannonaire
Org Profile

Post by Cannonaire » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:58 pm

If I do not feel like I have perfected my script for a source yet, I will just render a lossless (with IVTC done already) and then change it out later once I have finalized my filter chain. Bait-and-switch.

The important thing about this method is to either use Trim() and make a separate script for each clip, which can be time consuming, or just render the entire episode/movie so that your files can be used interchangeably, which can be space-consuming. I recommend the latter. If you made a script and then made clips using Virtualdub, you are SOL unless you want to find the in/out points for every clip you made and re-render them.
Image Think millionaire, but with cannons. || Resident Maaya Sakamoto fan.

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:29 am

Another option would be to give an adobe editing program a try and just use the avs importer plugin (I doubt its really much different from vegas). I would think once you have basic editing skills you could switch between either vegas or adobe and learn them pretty quick. I'm kinda surprised one has never been created for vegas but I really don't know anything about programming for stuff like that, maybe there's a reason.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Post by Kevmaster » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:38 pm

Well thanks for all the suggestions besides using fake avis, but I'd prefer not to do anything else though knowing and understanding what you mean.

I tried the Pismo File Mount + AviSynth Virtual File System combination, but it doesn't seem to work.
I followed the readme file of ASVFS:
Install the latest Pismo File Mount Audit Package from
http://www.pismotechnic.com/download/ .
=> Done.
Copy avfs.dll to a folder of your choosing. The c:\windows folder
will work.
=> Done. Copied the file to c:\\windows
1. Right-click on an AVS script in explorer.
2. Select "quick mount".
That's where it stops:

The same happens when I try to mount with settings instead of quick mount :/

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:43 pm

You need to register the avfs.dll with pismo in order for it to work. Fire up cmd and then do:

Code: Select all

pfm register "C:\windows\avfs.dll"
You should get the message:

Code: Select all

Registering formatter "C:\windows\avfs.dll".
Which means everything went fine. At that point you should be able to quick mount the avs (perhaps try to reboot befor giving it another try, just to play it safe).

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Post by Kevmaster » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:16 pm

That was a line of the readme I didn't seem to get. Thanks for clearing it up. It's working fine now! |:>

Enigmo
Org Profile

Post by Enigmo » Tue May 28, 2013 8:57 am

I know this ended a while ago, but this doesn't work for me. I installed Pismo and then AVFS and did the whole registering thing, but I still get that error that Kevmaster had shown. Any ideas on why I'm still getting this?
Image Image

Return to “AviSynth Help”