Forum reorganization (give your feedback)

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Re: Forum reorganization (give your feedback)

Post by Kariudo » Thu May 31, 2012 5:29 pm

The AMV Scene Suggestions thing came from the perception that AMV Suggestions is mostly used for people requesting where to find clips of people doing x. There's a few requests/ideas for AMVs thrown out there from time to time, but I've never really seen anyone take on a request from that forum...at least nobody that's posted that they actually took the idea/request. It's starting to sound like updating the forum description is the better plan here.
outlawed wrote:Skimmed this thread and from a design standpoint I don't see people asking the right questions about why and when to have subforums instead of just 1 single forurm for a site. The purposes of of having subforums is to filter off conversation so one place isn't flooded. If a site has 100 users you don't make 15 different subforums just to categorize posts.

You need to look at the metrics of post activity. If there is not high traffic it's better to have one larger encompassing subforum so it actually has activity and people are aware of new posts. This also makes moderation easier.
I did gather some activity metrics, they're rough, but it gave me an idea of general activity in each sub/forum.

Kinda like with the editing program forums, there may still be some merit in keeping Footage Help and Compression, Encoding, and Converting separate. I can see the sense in just merging them both though.

Video Hardware is slow (always has been), but I think merging it with Footage Help & Compression, Encoding, and Converting would be a bit awkward. The first one is Hardware, the last two are software.

Zanzaben
Org Profile

Post by Zanzaben » Thu May 31, 2012 8:25 pm

Kariudo wrote:The AMV Scene Suggestions thing came from the perception that AMV Suggestions is mostly used for people requesting where to find clips of people doing x. There's a few requests/ideas for AMVs thrown out there from time to time, but I've never really seen anyone take on a request from that forum...at least nobody that's posted that they actually took the idea/request. It's starting to sound like updating the forum description is the better plan here.
You are right that the majority are about finding clips however there are also ones about helping to chose a song (I myself have made one). As for the posts about anime X and song Y there are surprising number of them actually but as you said I don't know of anyone who really uses them.
Zanz Bonus Points Tally
8bit_samurai: 1, CodeZTM: 1, Eake4: 2, ibabrak: 5, Mirkosp: 4, tipsd9video: 1, uncreative: 1

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:04 am

gotegenks wrote: Sq, hes workinf directly with the mods (i assume) so mods reading what he posts is a given and doesnt help much, hes wanting to achieve more than just mods' and a few members' participation. But bashar has a good point about all those old threads.
So I'm not allowed to voice my opinion any more?
I was emailed some things to get to this point, but there are some things mentioned in this thread that were not mentioned in emails prior.
Also, my opinion can change as I read others' views.

I'm no more important than anybody else. I'll admit I was really surprised he namedropped me (wasn't expecting that at all), but the only reason I even entered the discussion is because I was a normal user who posted in the .org redesign forum with a fairly thought-out plan on how forum reorganization should go, and somebody on high noticed it. That's all.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:52 am

SQ wrote:
gotegenks wrote: Sq, hes workinf directly with the mods (i assume) so mods reading what he posts is a given and doesnt help much, hes wanting to achieve more than just mods' and a few members' participation. But bashar has a good point about all those old threads.
So I'm not allowed to voice my opinion any more?
I was emailed some things to get to this point, but there are some things mentioned in this thread that were not mentioned in emails prior.
Also, my opinion can change as I read others' views.

I'm no more important than anybody else. I'll admit I was really surprised he namedropped me (wasn't expecting that at all), but the only reason I even entered the discussion is because I was a normal user who posted in the .org redesign forum with a fairly thought-out plan on how forum reorganization should go, and somebody on high noticed it. That's all.
i don't know why you're offended, but sorry.

he just said "the forum where i have to post isn't achieving what i want to achieve, and what i want to achieve is all the members interested in the redesign to actually post" which would be a lot of members, the mods being a given since he's been working with them directly from the start. Your rebuttal to that was "the forums are fine, look at me! i posted, and i got THE MODS to see it/do something" and while i agree that's pretty cool for someone on our level, it doesn't matter to IFFTU at this point since he already has that.

i don't see how i was shutting you up or putting you down, but i'm sorry that it happened.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:45 pm

Gotegenks,
sorry, now that I re-read that, my reply seems really defensive. I wasn't offended.
Just confused by what you were saying.
StandardQuip

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:32 pm

Here's an updated hierarchy:
  • Anime Music Videos
    • General AMV
      • Recommended AMVs
      • AMV Suggestions
    • AMV Announcements
    • Opinion Exchange
    • AMV Contests
    • Org Supported Contests
      • (sub-category) Active Contests
      • Quickening
      • OrgEditor 2
      • (sub-category) Contest Archives
      • OrgEditor 1
      • (sub-category) VCAs
        etc...
    • Multi-Editor Projects
  • Anime
    • General Anime
      • Anime Screencaps
    • Anime Series Discussion
    • Anime Conventions (merging Convention Exchange into Anime Conventions)
  • Editing & Technology
    • Video & Audio Help
      • Footage Help (Combining Avisynth, Capture/Rip, and Compression/Encoding/Converting)
      • Video Hardware Discussion (renaming Video Hardware Help)
      • (sub-category)Video Software Help
      • Adobe software
      • Sony Vegas
      • WMM
      • Mac Software
    • Visual Effects
  • Website
    • General Discussion
      • Music Discussion
    • Site Help & Feedback (combining Site Help & Site Feedback)
      • Org Redesign
    • Moderator Drop Box
Misc. changes:
-Other ICs will be removed
-Heads Up! threads will be merged into General Discussion, and a Heads Up! sticky will be made
-Audio Help threads will be merged into Video & Audio Help
-Forum description changes for Anime Conventions, Visual Effects (minor change), Opinion Exchange (to better indicate that betas are welcome in that forum), AMV Suggestions (indicate clip finding is welcome), and Video Hardware Discussion

One thing that I kinda forgot about until now...the video software help archive. It can be moved to be a subforum of Video & Audio Help, or removed from view. I'm more partial to removing it from view at this point, as the most recent information there is coming up on 6 years old...and most of the old questions have probably been asked again in the individual program subforums. Anyone else care to weigh in?

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:56 pm

Kariudo wrote:
  • Editing & Technology
    • Video & Audio Help
      • Footage Help (Combining Avisynth, Capture/Rip, and Compression/Encoding/Converting)
      • Video Hardware Discussion (renaming Video Hardware Help)
      • (sub-category)Video Software Help
      • Adobe software
      • Sony Vegas
      • WMM
      • Mac Software
    • Visual Effects
At this point, wouldn't it make more sense to ditch the "video & audio help" subcathegory or rename editing & technology into video & audio help directly? The only one to stay out of video & audio help anymore is visual effects, and that is very much fitting under video help anyway, so it would just bring everything else up a level. Or did I miss the discussion that brought it to this?
One thing that I kinda forgot about until now...the video software help archive. It can be moved to be a subforum of Video & Audio Help, or removed from view. I'm more partial to removing it from view at this point, as the most recent information there is coming up on 6 years old...and most of the old questions have probably been asked again in the individual program subforums. Anyone else care to weigh in?
Even if there were to be unique questions in there, I think it would be better to hide it. The answers are likely old stuff (hell, many of the older threads in the current section could be better off split out and hidden), and that tends to be bad since the software and ways to do things change and improve every day, so very old answers could end up doing the opposite of actually being of help.

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:08 pm

I think anime series discussion can be sub of general anime.
Since video &audio help has that many sub forums it wouldn't be maybe that bad to put visual effects too? And rename it to something like "video/audio/visual effects"

Amv contest-can be a sub of general amv
Actually amv announcements/meps could be sub of it too since it's general but w/e : p

Why not rename general discussion to Off topic? Would be one general less , and maybe it's a bit confusing to hold it under "web site" it doesn't have much in common :uhoh: or rename "web site" to "various stuff" or something.

just 5cents :dino:
Still better than that MMO.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:10 pm

@mirko: Editing & Technology is a category, while Video & Audio Help is a forum.
Categories can only hold forums (forums can have topics, sub-forums, and categories), and Video & Audio Help is trying to remove the overlap between General Video and Avisynth, Capture/Rip, and Compression/Encoding/Converting.

We could keep Video Editing Software where it is right now instead of burying it in Video & Audio Help to give Editing & Technology a third forum again. There'd be no difference in board index space compared to the proposal at the start of this thread.

@Milk Or Life:
Anime Series Discussion, AMV Announcements, MEPs, and AMV Contests are quite active, so I believe they deserve their status as 1st level forums (the ones that appear on the board index). In general, the purpose of making forum X a sub-forum in the new layout is:
-to archive a dead forum that we want to keep visible (Screencaps)
-to get a forum off of the board index due to inactivity (Recommended AMVs)

AMV Suggestions and Footage Help don't exactly follow that, but that's why they're only general guidelines :amv:

As I understand it, there's a stigma associated with the name "Off Topic". I've heard the story (don't remember it well, though), but it was before my time here.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:09 pm

Kariudo wrote: As I understand it, there's a stigma associated with the name "Off Topic". I've heard the story (don't remember it well, though), but it was before my time here.
It was a long time a go, and while the story's tragic, I don't honestly see why we can't rename the forum back to Off Topic. We have to learn to get over it sometime. Besides, with how tight-lipped the community (usually) is/was, I doubt anybody not actually in the forum at the time knows/remembers it anyway.

As an aside-- In the new markup, Anime screencaps and anime series discussion are their own forums.
I thought they had been planned for merging into general anime?

And I think the video software help archive should also be hidden, too.
StandardQuip

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”