Zooming in while keeping quality?

orianajones
Org Profile

Post by orianajones » Fri May 18, 2012 6:39 am

So I have noticed a lot of AMV's have a zoomed in section which is followed by zooming out. I know how to do that but my issue is the quality. When I do it my video seems to lack the quality of videos such as this;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... SM8g#t=12s

I have Both After effects and Sony Vegas pro 9. I mainly use Sony Vegas though.

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Re: Zooming in while keeping quality?

Post by Niotex » Fri May 18, 2012 7:31 pm

There is no such thing as zooming or up-scaling while maintaining "quality". It's a matter of picking and choosing your scenes carefully and not zooming in too much. In a lot of cases people transition from 1 shot into another during the zoom. This obviously only works if you have both a wide and closer shot of your subject.

There are also thing such as using HD sources in a SD timeline. Which would basically mean that you're down-scaling everything to SD and zooming/scaling back to the native res when zooming. It's a backwards solution. If you don't care about having your video being HD tho, it'll effectively keep your video as crisp as possible. Provided you don't scale/zoom over the "100%".

In short, there is no way of actually doing this. It's all just little backwards tricks to give the illusion of maintaining a crisp full res look.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Fri May 18, 2012 9:24 pm

"Zoom blur" effect or Gaussian blur as you zoom to mimic defocusing effect.
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:39 am

Zooming while keeping quality is possible if you vector your source but I assume you dont have that much free time so i Suggest upgrading your orginal video source so that you wont lose as much quality when zooming in, also fast zooms with small blurs make it look nicer and also far better in terms of quality and cutting/editing. If your gonna zoom in slowly and have very very long zooms (which I have no idea why that is the case) you could have multiple scenes to make it look like your zooming in while you actually arent, all you are simply doing is making some illusions in form of colourful scenes etc.

orianajones
Org Profile

Post by orianajones » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:37 am

Thank you all :D

Return to “Effects & Techniques”