Forum reorganization (give your feedback)

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Re: Forum reorganization (give your feedback)

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu May 31, 2012 6:38 am

I Fight For The Users wrote:
Kariudo wrote:
I Fight For The Users wrote:There is no need to separate video software help by program; people tend to include a popular name of the program in their post title.
I count on people following naming conventions as much as I count on people reading stickies before posting. I believe there's still value in maintaining the visual separation. It cuts down on the scanning that people experienced with a particular program have to do when looking for a thread they can help in. It also makes a clear delineation for new(er) members looking for help.
Permit posts in those forums to be tagged as program-specific; get moderators to maintain those tags. That eliminates some scanning. Make those tags selectable and you'll eliminate all scanning.

Your last point doesn't make a lot of sense, as the program-specific sub-boards are currently only visible as small text on the main index. It's much easier to ask for help in a "video software help" board with useful filtering than it is to go through a tediously small list of links.
I disagree here. It's way easier for me to go to Vegas subforum from the main page (even if it's via "tediously small list, whose size seems okay to me) than go into a cluttered list and then filter the right threads. And mods =/= all people who would like to reply.
And selectable tags? That's quite a bit of work from programmers, mods, and people (and if people fail even more work on mods). The current system works just as fine without unnecessary work from all parties involved.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu May 31, 2012 7:39 am

I Fight For The Users wrote:The proportion of people who seem to be interested in reworking this site to those who have actually commented on the active product remains frustratingly, hugely tilted towards the former side.
Actually - there were quite a few people posting in the redesign forum a while back. Since this whole idea of a redesign has languished for years, rehashing those old threads is seen as dead horse beating. People have said what they wanted to and don't feel the need to rehash that. It's all still there to read.

I wouldn't expect you to get much more than that. There are under 50 people that are really active here on the forums.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Thu May 31, 2012 8:18 am

I would say combine all of the proposed:
Footage Help (Combining Avisynth & Capture/Rip)
Video Hardware Discussion (renaming Video Hardware Help)
Compression, Encoding, and Converting

Into one go-to place for technical help. We don't get that many posts these days, so I doubt it would get flooded with content or anything. And a lot of the time these forums can have overlapping content.

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Thu May 31, 2012 10:24 am

I second pacotacoshell about not renaming AMV Suggestions. People use that forum to offer or seek suggestions about anything amv related. The word "scene" narrows the topic down to anime, implying that you shouldn't post there asking about songs that might fit your concept. I realize 'recommended amvs' and 'amv suggestions' sound similar, but if the subforums are right next to each other, then everyone should know they're different (and hopefully enter them to find out how).

I agree with moving "Opinion Exchange" up beneath "Amv announcements". The op exchange has nothing to do with organized group activities, and gets lost between the contest and mep sections.

I also like having the editing help section broken according to programs. Whether all the sections are active or not, they have great threads archived that answer most questions anyone might have. I haven't had much luck searching by tags in other forums either because people can't consistently maintain the tags, or because the search engines can't handle them properly. I like being able to narrow the search to the section dedicated to that particular program.

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Thu May 31, 2012 12:02 pm

I agree with ifftu, amv suggestions could go and we could just post that in general amv. Since those are slightly more important threads (to the op anyway) it would help them get replies and be more beneficial, and make the forum layout simpler

Sq, hes workinf directly with the mods (i assume) so mods reading what he posts is a given and doesnt help much, hes wanting to achieve more than just mods' and a few members' participation. But bashar has a good point about all those old threads.

Zanzaben
Org Profile

Post by Zanzaben » Thu May 31, 2012 12:08 pm

I agree with Pacotacpshell and Arigatomina regarding the AMV suggestions, renaming it to AMV scenes suggestions is a bad idea because of all the posts asking for songs or ideas in general for other people to use, but I can definatly see how there can be confusion between it and Recommended AMVs. Maybe something like AMV Inspiration or Brainstorming would be a better title.
Also I personally don't really like it becoming a sub-group in fear of it dying out

Another thing is to give The Lip Flapper its own sub-group in The General page because whenever I go there I also see several different Lip Flapper interviews near the top.
Zanz Bonus Points Tally
8bit_samurai: 1, CodeZTM: 1, Eake4: 2, ibabrak: 5, Mirkosp: 4, tipsd9video: 1, uncreative: 1

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Thu May 31, 2012 12:10 pm

^thats been discussed and we decided lip flapper would probably just die off.

Zanzaben
Org Profile

Post by Zanzaben » Thu May 31, 2012 12:21 pm

gotegenks wrote:^thats been discussed and we decided lip flapper would probably just die off.
Yeah that makes a lot of sense so just leave it as it is and completely ignore my statement.
This is not sarcasm, I am just calling myself an idiot
Last edited by Zanzaben on Thu May 31, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zanz Bonus Points Tally
8bit_samurai: 1, CodeZTM: 1, Eake4: 2, ibabrak: 5, Mirkosp: 4, tipsd9video: 1, uncreative: 1

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Thu May 31, 2012 12:32 pm

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 5#p1427748

i don't see how i was ignoring you...maybe brushing you off, so sorry about that, link should've come sooner.

would you have preferred i just said "the lip flapper would just die off" ?

outlawed
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Thu May 31, 2012 2:18 pm

Zarxrax wrote:Into one go-to place for technical help. We don't get that many posts these days, so I doubt it would get flooded with content or anything. And a lot of the time these forums can have overlapping content.
^ THIS.

Skimmed this thread and from a design standpoint I don't see people asking the right questions about why and when to have subforums instead of just 1 single forurm for a site. The purposes of of having subforums is to filter off conversation so one place isn't flooded. If a site has 100 users you don't make 15 different subforums just to categorize posts.

You need to look at the metrics of post activity. If there is not high traffic it's better to have one larger encompassing subforum so it actually has activity and people are aware of new posts. This also makes moderation easier.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”