Motion tracking and A LOT of questions

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
sholin360
Org Profile

Motion tracking and A LOT of questions

Post by sholin360 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:15 am

I am REALLY not sure how to motion track in Vegas, sorry if I'm a amateur but I really have lots of questions:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2ZBmPZR4kg&feature=BFa in this tutorial it shows how to BASIC motion track in After Effects, but can someone tell me how to do it in Sony Vegas?

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RCiASQPcAY Can someone tell me how to do that in Sony vegas? Like adding a bar to the video, then the writings?

3. How do you feather the edges of your video to black/white or any other color?

4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RCiASQPcAY In 0.48 - 0.50 how do you make that red line over characters?

5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTAxzsetw1I In 0.17 - 0.20 how do you make the borders shrink etc. ( Did the editor make a black shape then made it bigger?)

6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goQqB1SKZDA In 1.18 - 1.19 How do you make that screen roll?

Sorry if I'm bothering you all but I really want to know how to do these stuff and personalize it, and sorry again if this is too basic but I really don't know who to ask. :oops:

5za
Org Profile

Re: Motion tracking and A LOT of questions

Post by 5za » Thu May 31, 2012 1:52 am

Alright I don't really know all of them just gona answer those that I do- 2, 3, 5

2> Ok so you've got ur video on one layer, just make another video layer on top of it > add a new layer > right click on the layer - select Insert Empty Event
In case u don’t know - Empty Event is like a video footage that is basically blank and allows you to freely add whatever effects you want to add on top of the layer below
So you're going to have something like this

Now to your Empty Event add Cookie Cutter Square > In the Effects properties increase the Repeat X to the max so you'll have two bars on your screen. Now these two bars won't really relate to your effect coz you won't be able to edit them separately so your effect to have the two bars come in from different sides will not happen.
So what you gotta do is increase the size till one of the bars goes out of screen (of course you'll probably even have to move the position around- just make sure you have only one bar on screen)

Next duplicate this layer (right click on layers empty area) so that you have another layer with empty event and bar. Open the event fx and move the position of the bar so that you now have a bar at the bottom section.

Ok now the whole entry of the bars. To the 2nd layer add Transition - Linear Wipe - LEFT-RIGHT, Hard Edge and to the 1st layer add Transition - LINEAR WIPE - RIGHT-LEFT, Hard Edge

Now you'll see the bars come in from different sides and voila! Right now they're happening at the same time if you shorten one of your layers you'll get what you want.

3> Ok for your white border there are two ways
WAY1-
Same way as before make new layer, add empty event and the cookie cutter fx but only this time your using the rectangle cookie cutter (you can change shape in the fx properties - Shape

Now you jus adjust size n position till it’s the kind of border you want. Then max out the Feather.

WAY2-
There is also another way which is easier but depends on the vegas edition you have. So if you are 9(I think) and above you would have soft contrast. Add that and if you don’t want any of the contrast editing, just put all the features under the effects tab (like stretch range, contrast, diffusion etc) to zero.
Then you go to the Vignette tab-
Exterior effect: to wutever you want black or white. Make sure shape is rectangle and then just mess around with the values of all other stuff to get what you want.

Only problem with this is you cant change the color in case you want to.

5>
The way I would do that effect is use cookie cutter (square) on an empty event and max out Repeat X so I have two bars. Position them (messing with size) so that they are right at the top barely visible. Then I increase the border and key it
(I've used yellow color just to make it more obvious)

PS- for your 4th one you might wanna check the video link coz I didn't see any red line over character, also it is the same keep out video as the 2nd one.
Oh and the text thingy you were asking for the 2nd video were you referring to the Keep Out text?

sholin360
Org Profile

Post by sholin360 » Thu May 31, 2012 5:33 am

Thnx alot :D , yes I really want to know how to make the Keep Out Text and the 4th link is supposed to be this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8vvTQDrPec sorry :oops:

5za
Org Profile

Post by 5za » Thu May 31, 2012 8:54 am

Well the text effect is actually a preset in Adobe After Effects and will take a hell of a lot o editing in sony vegas so my advice would be to give up on it. There are some good text effects sony vegas in ProType Titler and if you get plug-ins like New Blue. So ya can't help with that.

Now for the 4th link, from what I understand you're gona have to duplicate the video layer (of course with the video footage). Then you mask out the region you need like in case of the video Orihime and Ulquiorra (on the top layer). After that you just add Gradient Map to the mask. Now your gona have to play with effects depending on the image and the amount of color in it. Some places you may have to add Black and White effect before the Gradient Map to make it stand out more and you may also have to lower the opacity of the top mask layer - all depends.

Hope that helped

sholin360
Org Profile

Post by sholin360 » Thu May 31, 2012 10:15 am

Thanks sooooooooooo much, I can't express how much I want to thank you xD
BTW I have After Effects with most of RedGiant and Video Copilot plugins :3

5za
Org Profile

Post by 5za » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:51 am

Well if you have After Effects just use the FLIP AND FADE UP effect for that text. Also most of the peeps who have both after effects and vegas just compile everything in vegas and then move to after effects for all the jazzing up.
So i say focus on learning After Effects coz if you've got that down Vegas will come easy

sholin360
Org Profile

Post by sholin360 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:48 pm

Well I do most stuff on Vegas, then render it to After Effects and use it for CC and some other effects :O

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”