Round 2 - Results [Updated with Group G & H Results]

This is the main (and archive) forum for The Quickening, hosted by AnimeMusicVideos.Org
mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Round 2 - Results [Updated with Group A & B Results]

Post by mirkosp » Tue May 29, 2012 11:58 pm

TC: I'm not sure how this would make you feel, but there was no favoritism from my side.
I personally had placed you first in Round 1, if that's anything to go by, but now I placed you third. I completely put aside the nickname of the editor and just consider the video.

And I personally didn't like your video too much. The lip syncing masks just did not fit in your video, thus slowed it down if not entirely killed the flow; lip sync is by far the trickiest thing to get right. The zooms also needed work, particularly the ones that had the really heavy wiggling, they just were too rough so felt jarring where they were placed. The scanline effect also just didn't look very good in there (I mean the 01:10 scene). But it was really the lip sync that really put the video down for me. It just was not meant to be. I can understand it took effort, especially with the mask, and I can appreciate that, but in the end the final result is what matters, and unfortunately it just didn't work out for me.

PS: Footage wasn't properly prepped either, to be honest. Combing was at times quite visible in playback, and there was some banding too. Here's two screenshots:
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/79/t ... quicke.png
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/79/t ... quicke.png

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed May 30, 2012 12:00 am

TwilightChrono wrote:I went all out on that video BECAUSE I was having fun AND wanted to win. I normally don't rage. This just upsets me to no end. This is not fair by a long shot.
Drink of the unchosen!
:shark:
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

RAWdangers
Org Profile

Post by RAWdangers » Wed May 30, 2012 12:02 am

l33tmeatwad wrote:
TwilightChrono wrote:I went all out on that video BECAUSE I was having fun AND wanted to win. I normally don't rage. This just upsets me to no end. This is not fair by a long shot.
Quoted Image converted to link:
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/7218/drbitter.png
Drink of the unchosen!
"Can you handle the criticism?" I think not.

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Wed May 30, 2012 12:06 am

I handle crit just fine. You would rage too if you lost to THAT.

What part of his video had any effort? Practically no cleaning, watermarks everywhere. Blocking. Jesus christ.

Oh well. Not like I can do anything about it now. Just won't enter anymore org supported contests if this is the kinda result I can expect from judges.

As stated, hard work don't mean shit anymore apparently. So why bother even trying to work hard on yoru video if someone who puts little to no effort can just waltz in and own all over you?

Word of advice. Just throw somethign together. You'll win.

Gratz to the winners. I'm out.
Premiering At Another Anime Con 2012

RAWdangers
Org Profile

Post by RAWdangers » Wed May 30, 2012 12:10 am

RAWdangers wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:
Quoted Image converted to link:
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/7218/drbitter.png
Drink of the unchosen!
"Can you handle the criticism?" I think not.
Double post, sorry X.X but as TC said, lack of editing butt

"There's nothing like a Bitter!"
"It's so amazingly bitter, you have try it to believe it!"
"Dr Bitter, What's the worst that could happen?"
"Trust me – I'm a Editor."
"Drink It Bitter, Dr's Orders"
"Dr Bitter, makes the world go round."
"Just what the Doctor ordered."
"When You Drink a Dr. Bitter You Drink a Nasty Comment
"I'm a Bitter, He's a Bitter, We're a Bitter. Be a Bitter. Wouldn't you like to Be a Bitter too?"
:ying:

MimS
Baguette Master
Org Profile

Post by MimS » Wed May 30, 2012 12:12 am

Well, honestly, can't be 'fair' since I didn't watch EE's vid until the end, I saw logos, I was like 'he's dismissed' and I closed the video.
I mean, seriously, it's R2 and I didn't think such a thing wasn't important to keep being in the contest... Though somehow it's also a good thing that having logos doesn't mean it's the end for editors, it kinda gives beginners more opportunities to concentrate more on 'concrete', 'actual' editing skills rather than things preparing footages.

So basically : I don't want to seem elitist but yeah, it's strange to see a vid with logo not being 3rd (in a 'more serious' contest, it could upset me) though at the same time I'm like 'well if considering everything, it was better, let's deal with it'... I just hope EE's vis is better considering... 'everything'

Kisanzi
Why I likes so much?
Org Profile

Post by Kisanzi » Wed May 30, 2012 12:16 am

TwilightChrono wrote:Had to double post because of no edit button. These results aren't fair by a long shot and make me think favoritism was shown. Mine clearly had more effort and footage was prepared properly. Compared to the video that "SUPPOSEDLY" beat me.

Guess hard work don't mean crap anymore. Seriously.
Dude c'mon, how demeaning is that to the other guys vid? I can see that you don't agree with the judging, but now you're putting other people down for doing something that they enjoy just because you didn't win? Not cool man.

On the judging thing, this is as I always say about AMV contest judging. JUDGING IS COMPLETELY SUBJECTIVE. This is a lesson I learned early on in this hobby. When you compete there is no sure thing. Just because you know how to do a little masking and FX doesn't mean you're automatically the better vid. Trust me, as one FX editor to another, ya gotta roll with the punches and not get a big head about how much work on the technical side that you put into a video because as far as each judge is concerned; one may see your hours of masking and FX as an incomprehensible mess, while another judge would be in awe at the perfection and sleekness of each little detail. In this case it didn't work in your favor. Be the good sport you were in your first post and pay respect to your fellow competitors and the judges.

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Wed May 30, 2012 12:22 am

Kisanzi wrote:
TwilightChrono wrote:Had to double post because of no edit button. These results aren't fair by a long shot and make me think favoritism was shown. Mine clearly had more effort and footage was prepared properly. Compared to the video that "SUPPOSEDLY" beat me.

Guess hard work don't mean crap anymore. Seriously.
Dude c'mon, how demeaning is that to the other guys vid? I can see that you don't agree with the judging, but now you're putting other people down for doing something that they enjoy just because you didn't win? Not cool man.

On the judging thing, this is as I always say about AMV contest judging. JUDGING IS COMPLETELY SUBJECTIVE. This is a lesson I learned early on in this hobby. When you compete there is no sure thing. Just because you know how to do a little masking and FX doesn't mean you're automatically the better vid. Trust me, as one FX editor to another, ya gotta roll with the punches and not get a big head about how much work on the technical side that you put into a video because as far as each judge is concerned; one may see your hours of masking and FX as an incomprehensible mess, while another judge would be in awe at the perfection and sleekness of each little detail. In this case it didn't work in your favor. Be the good sport you were in your first post and pay respect to your fellow competitors and the judges.
Easy for you to say this. You weren't the one that lost to E.E.'s video. I'm not one to rage or get upset normally, but so far, every person who has posted said mine was the better or thought I was gonna win. Say what you just said when this happens to you.

My will to edit is shattered. I seriously don't see the point anymore. Either way, I left this on a good note in my post before this. I just hope the decisions being made are in the right.

Gratz to the winners. And I hope you go far.
Premiering At Another Anime Con 2012

MimS
Baguette Master
Org Profile

Post by MimS » Wed May 30, 2012 12:24 am

Well, in any case TC, a judgement is only a judgement, it doesn't mean you're bad or else.
See the good point : now you won't have to edit for a week to a song that you think it sucks :rofl:

Work on your own projects and come back showing how good editor you are ^^

Return to “The Quickening 2012”