Edit direct w/ .m2ts files, or convert to something else?

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Mon May 28, 2012 12:17 pm

I've ripped my first Blu-ray into 13 .m2ts files.... I could use the files straight up in my editing program, but I'm used to converting them into a different format first before editing so I can pull clips from it. Should I go ahead and use the m2ts files straight up, or should I convert them first before making clips from them?
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Edit direct w/ .m2ts files, or convert to something else

Post by mirkosp » Mon May 28, 2012 5:23 pm

You should definitely convert the m2ts files first. I personally recommend making lossless clips with virtualdub, possibly using utvideo as the codec. Editing m2ts directly is not advised because they aren't the lightest thing to decode, especially if you'll need to put clips in reverse time. That is going to kill your pc quite easily...

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Tue May 29, 2012 12:01 am

I was hoping I could convert those files. You are right about avoiding to edit with the m2ts files.... it slows down the process immensely.

It looks like I may have to create an AVS script so I can open the M2TS file in VirtualDub, is this correct?
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

just passin through...

YES, needs a script
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue May 29, 2012 2:42 am

Yes, that is indeed correct. The best solution for loading the m2ts in avisynth is dgdecnv, or alternatively dgavcdecdi, but they aren't free solutions.
A free solution involves remuxing to mkv and then using ffvideosource, but keep in mind that this latter method doesn't always work, you won't be able to make clips right off as you should be transcoding it all to lossless first and then clipping/filtering from there to play it safe.

Return to “AviSynth Help”