AMV Salad 6...next stop: ZENKAIKON

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Re: AMV Salad 6...FINAL DEADLINE - JUNE 1!!

Post by Gaelstrom » Tue May 22, 2012 3:20 am

I think this year can be summed up pretty accurately...

"THAT'S A HUGE BITCH!!" :rofl:

Anyway, for the most part I must admit, it's an awesome collection considering our collective issues with computers and creativity hits. There are some pretty excellent ones across the board, three or four that could use some touch-ups, and a couple I think that may not belong.

The headbanging one wasn't really considered finished, but more of a test that I think we all agreed wasn't really working. A noble shot, but I think we can leave that one out. The length of this thing isn't really important if the quality is there.

The 'You don't win friends with Salad' one, I understand the reasoning, but the clip choice is just not really working to make it very funny. There's no sync really, it's like it was pasted over the audio without any more work. I recognize it as simpsons audio, but I just think it needs a much better scene and maybe a punchline. I don't know the episode it's from since I don't want simpsons, but if there is a punchline to that joke, I'd recommend using it somehow and using something different than the Lucky Star opening. Otherwise that one's kind of weak I'm sorry to say.

Defying gravity was great. Little longer than expected, but that makes it that much better when the joke hits.

The drinking one and the 007Chibiusa were both cute ^^

Fall to pieces was perfect in all the wrong ways.

Never had a friend like me is kind of an inside joke, doesn't really stand on its own, but I guess it's short enough that it won't matter. Little inside joke never hurt anyone.

"I say hey" was pretty good ^^ I especially love her face with "What's going on."

THAT'S A HUGE BITCH!!!

"I just had sex" is probably one of the most perfect things I've ever seen.

Cut off wiener is short and sweet... give or take the subject matter >.>

Perfect day is... well... heh ^^ I love it, but I kind of feel like it should be cut at "nothing can go wrong" and let everyone who knows just kind of go "Yeah... bullshit" in their minds ^^

Lots and lots of jets and planes! ...and pantsu!!

Can't stop rock and roll is good, but I feel like there are stronger clip choices for a couple of scenes, especially when the guitar starts riffing, I kinda wanted to get into it, but the scenes just didn't pull me into the action of the awesome music.

THAT'S A HUGE BITCH!!!

It's bacon is perfect.

Sailor Moon rise above is a bit similar to the defying gravity one... not too sure what to do with this honestly...

Sentry mode activated... searching... I see you......... deploying....

McGuyver is perfect. Only thing it needs is to not get cut off. I'd say let it go for another half-second so it doesn't cut off and let it cut from the laughter. It kind of hurt to hear it get cut off where it did.

DaVinci's workshop is great, except that I'd love to see more subtle footage for "You couldn't have grabbed me one of his original notebooks" because the current footage is just a bit too intense. If that gets switched out, I think it'll be perfect.

I'm a man is a good one ^^ Maybe beef up the audio a bit and it'll be easier to understand.

Hatched superstar is short and cute.

Umbrella is... stairs...

Chobits cute is perfect.

THAT'S A HUGE BITCH!!!

(Skipping over mine and Captpan6's)

The Clannad Falling one is... not particularly great... and yet not bad... too long though. Two verses is all it's funny for I think unfortunately. There's really nothing else to it.

Trigun White Mage is pretty good, but I think it can have stronger footage. Like 'pussy' showing the cat for a split second and then the word 'healer' doesn't land very well. I think it'd be better if you showed something ironic or a jab at a random character who heals from something else. Could be from a game or anything, just an otaku inside joke. But most importantly is I don't recognize the characters beyond Vash. Honestly, I think the clip would have a lot more double meaning if you were to use Wolfwood instead as the other character. There's no shortage of footage of him, or them together, and it'll mean so much more I think.

And also, I have herpes...

...THAT'S A HUGE BITCH!!!

...in case it's not obvious, that too could pretty easily become a running gag....... SOOOOOO many multiple meaning possibilities!

EDIT:

Quick extra thoughts:

Just had sex - Don't fade the end, just cut it off, it'll be that much funnier when it goes into the test pattern.

I forgot about She Drives Like Crazy - This one is a sad situation, because AMV Hell did it before with Azumanga footage, and that was stronger... this one doesn't have anyone panicking in reaction to the crazy driving, so it doesn't quite land as strongly. Is there any panicked footage for this?
ImageImageImage

moonbunnychan
Org Profile

Post by moonbunnychan » Thu May 24, 2012 4:34 am

Sorry I've been kind of absent!
I had mixed feelings the whole time with the Perfect Day one...see for fans of the show (and it has huge following), it's kind of like, the iconic moment in the show after which everything goes to hell. She gives this big speech just before she gets her head bitten off about how everything is going to be great and perfect from now on. I originally had some of that speech in there but it was running on the long side. I'm not totally happy with how it came out so I'm open to suggestions.
The Friend Like Me is dependent on knowing the source...basically he grants girls a wish in return for being a magical girl but it turns out to be essentially making a deal with the devil.
The falling Sailor Moon one...that's the one I wanted to also use the record scratch sound on. I think SOMETHING there would make it more abrupt. My actual original intention in it didn't end up coming out at all lol. That being that it's the main song from the Spiderman Musical where up until recently was one person getting seriously injured after another.
The I Just Had Sex one was kind of tricky audio wise, because the next words start right during the "felt so good". It sounded really weird trying to cut it off.
I was sort of on the fence with the Jets and Planes one, but I'm guessing it came out ok? I see that commercial all the damn time but wasn't sure if it was just me lol.
I'd totally forgotten that AMV Hell did the Drives Like Crazy thing. I'll double check but I don't THINK there's any reaction kind of shots. I'm not really in love with the clip anyway, it was a kind of afterthought one.

Stuff that's mine for the sake of comments/suggestions/whatever:
Defying Gravity
The Drinking One (which I'm cleaning up, quality wise)
Drives Like Crazy
The Chibi Usa 007 one
Hatched Super Star
Fall To Pieces
Never Had a Friend Like Me
I Say Hey (which I'm working on cleaning up some lip syncing stuff)
I Just Had Sex
Cut Off Wiener
Perfect Day
Lots and Lots of Jets and Planes
It's Bacon
Rise Above
Sentry Mode
Umbrella

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Thu May 24, 2012 5:05 am

Heya, Moonbunny! Can you PM me with your Skype info please or grab mine from Deuce and send me a message? I've got an idea that can combine running gag, intro, and titles that I'd love to run by you. I've already spoken with Sammy and Deuce, and I think you might get a kick out of it. I need to update you all on a change to my idea as well later.

Perfect Day is great, but it does run the risk of bringing up certain emotions. The moment the audience hears "On this perfeeeeect daaaaaaay" they're going to immediately match the footage and you WILL hear a groan, I guarantee it ^^ It'll be a good groan though, in the "Oh god ^^" kind of way, but if you go through with it, I really think it'll kind of affect the mood. It's such an iconic scene as you said, I almost get the feeling she should say something and you could do a quick mask of a mouth from another scene and put it on her during the shot from inside the witch's mouth and have her say something as simple as "Ah, sh**" or something. Basically any line just giving off the feeling of "Well this figures..." would work I think. You can also go the simple route and perhaps cut it right before the bite like I mentioned above and let the audience roll their eyes at the 'nothing can go wrong.' I personally like something closer to the former, but the latter is nice minimalism too. It's great as it is now, but for me personally, it kind of hurts to see again >.>

Sailor Moon It works as it is, the only issue is we have a short Salad and there's another falling clip that has a large buildup. There's nothing really wrong at all, just that the two clips are similar and will be in close proximity. Hell, you could cut 'em out and shrink them and have a plane fly by and suck them into the engines if you really want to catch people off guard :D Morbid as shit, I know but... well... yeah :D

Just Had Sex Is just great. You don't have to worry about other words or anything, it's the perfect length, I just don't think you needed to have faded the music. It would even work perfectly with "Feeeeelt so goo-"*Test Pattern* because it will simulate the impact of the "D" but I think you already have it in there. Don't worry, it's even funnier when something cuts off with a half-beat, so I'd just remove the fade and it's perfect the way it is.

Chibiusa 007 Very minor suggestion, but if you could match the motion of the gun barrel zigzagging downward to the movies more that'd be awesome. But that's a very minor detail and not necessary if it's too difficult.

Other than that you did beautifully yet again. I'd love to run the running gag idea by you and see what you think. It's simple enough that we can accomplish it very quickly. Please let me know your skype info and I'll fill you in there.
ImageImageImage

moonbunnychan
Org Profile

Post by moonbunnychan » Thu May 24, 2012 5:35 am

Ok....thoughts on the stuff that isn't mine!

I actually like the headbanging one....I think maybe placed like towards the middle it could work.

Friends with Salad-Eh. I love the sound byte and would LOVE to see it used with something else, but it just doesn't really have any context to the Lucky Star footage.

That's a Huge Bitch-It's so short and simple and perfect.

Can't Stop Rock and Roll-Cute and well edited.

McGuyver-I think this is one of those ones where the audio is funny but doesn't necessarily make for a funny video....unless it has some connection to the anime that I don't know about since I don't know it.

Candle-Made me giggle quite a bit.

I'm a Man-Pretty great.

Chobits Cute-Probably my favorite in here. I laughed out loud.

The Raving Angel Beats one-I'm sure this is gonna get a big reaction

Bi Polar-Absolutely Perfect. I only worry that it's kind of long compared to everything else. But it's so great I wouldn't ACTUALLY want to shorten any of it.

Canadian-Definitely unexpected.

Ham-Ed's expression at the end made me bust out laughing.

Snickers-Dear god this is beautiful. XD I about choked when he comes out with the guitar. I think there may be a little bit too much dialogue at the beginning though. I think it'd be better starting at the "The forest spirit wants you to live".

Clannad-I like it, but I think it either needs to be just a few seconds in length or cut up and spread through the whole thing.

Trigun Healer-I love the idea but think it needs...something. Not exactly sure what.

Herpes-This is also perfect in execution. I was about to write how this one just wasn't cutting it and was kind of dull and then the "and I also I have herpes" line happens. It lands so perfectly after feeling it's kind of dull. I did indeed "laugh out loud".

Sauerkraut-Silly but works.

krvabo
Org Profile

Post by krvabo » Thu May 24, 2012 2:30 pm

"i said hey" - lol
"it's bacon" :D
Portal - nice
lol @ umbrella
:D @ How TK sees it
lol @ I'm Canadian
the sound on the deer @ lake (snickers) is way way too soft at the start
The infinite falling made me grin

Before I watched the video, something moonbunnychan said made me have an idea while skimming the messages here.. however.. I started making it before the video was downloaded (rapidshare isn't that rapid..).

http://sketsi.com/salad/krvabo-Charlie_ ... od+-LQ.avi [9MB]

Should I make a HQ one, or would this be too much of the same? Otherwise we might use it in $possiblenextversion
ImageImageImage

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Thu May 24, 2012 3:59 pm

I bumped up the sound of the Mononoke clip after I had posted the one Deuce used in here, that won't be a problem anymore once I get the high quality ones to Deuce thankfully.

As for your video, I'm sorry to say it's almost completely unrelated to itself. The tacked on 'duh, winning' really doesn't fit with anything that's happening, even ironically. It's just too much time spent on gore for not enough humor as a payoff. The greatest example of the use of a dramatic scene like this that I can think of is in one of the earlier AMV Hell Minis with the end of Code Geass. I won't spoil it though, if you want to check it out, it'll be pretty obvious which one it is. The major issue is that none of the random killing is purposeful to the end result. It doesn't add any buildup or anything that makes the humor land that much stronger. My honest opinion is that you let this one go.
ImageImageImage

krvabo
Org Profile

Post by krvabo » Thu May 24, 2012 6:30 pm

Fine.

And no, I hate amv hell minis.
ImageImageImage

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Thu May 24, 2012 6:56 pm

There's really no good reason to actually 'hate' AMV Hell minis. There are some very hilarious clips in those that deserve to be seen more. Many of them aren't the greatest, but they are definitely worth a watch, so I'm not sure why they'd cause you to hate them.

I'm sorry that I didn't find your clip all that amusing, but that's just my honest assessment of it. It just wasn't that funny to throw a random pop culture reference into a video that had no connective tissue to it. Don't let it get to you. You didn't spend a lot of time on it, so don't feel bad, it was a worthwhile attempt.
ImageImageImage

Haus Haberdasher
Org Profile

Post by Haus Haberdasher » Thu May 31, 2012 3:28 pm

I sent my entries. Sorry for getting them in so close to the deadline. Life got very busy over the last two weeks.

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Thu May 31, 2012 4:00 pm

Hey, all, please everyone involved read this, especially moonbunnychan and Sammy.

I have some unfortunate news and some potentially good news about it. Due to miscommunications and misunderstandings, I spoke with Scott personally and got a more clear understanding of what these 'deadlines' actually were, and unfortunately we were a bit off.

It turns out the 'rough draft' deadline is the true deadline on the 25th of May, meaning for all intents and purposes, the final version must be complete with the appropriate length by that time, and any subsequent time until the 15th of June is merely rearranging, error correction, and things like that. Scott has told me that there can be no added time to the project after that date. Which basically means that what we sent is the project that will be shown.

HOWEVER! There is a possibility that we have a chance to save the project from its current state, because thankfully five other groups had the same misunderstanding. Because of this, Scott knows he needs to revamp the instructions next year, and the other projects may not be done on time as well. The reason the deadline is the way it is is because of this issue. He can't have multiple projects saying they'll have more done by then and not have it happen, otherwise it screws up everyone else. That's the theory at least.

Our benefit is we only need about three more minutes. We have several new clips, but as usual we will be cutting or editing down several clips and recover some time. Chances of us reaching 15 minutes are not too great, but it'll be a solid project if we can pull off the last bits we intend to do.

I've been trying to get ahold of both moonbunnychan and Sammy because the two of you are crucial to pulling off this plan Deuce and I have talked about in the next week.

WE MUST GET THIS IN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE TO HAVE FIRST PICK AT ANY EXTRA TIME THAT SHOWS UP! Because of this the new deadline is the 10th of June at the latest.

Now, the plan (This is mainly for Moonbunnychan and SammySama, but if any of you have ideas based on this plan, please feel free to contribute):

The running gag can still be pulled off, even with three clips. Deuce has already completed one. I can make mine tongiht after the intro is complete tonight as well, and Sammy, the idea we discussed that you had was great, so I'd like you to go ahead with it. If you need the Gundam footage, please tell me and I'll transfer it to you. Moonbunnychan, I need to talk to you about it as well, because i think you might get a kick out of it and it'll be fast to do.

Next part of the plan - CREDITS: Our credits had no plan, but thanks to your clip introducing me to the new Lonely Island songs, moonbunnychan (totally was oblivious they released more) I had an idea for the credits that could not only make them funny and interesting, but also engage the audience throughout, and connect to your clip. It will require some work, but nothing more complex than basic editing with some general lip-sync. The idea is I can edit the "I Just Had Sex" song down to the minute thereabouts that the credits will be, and we can take clips form Chobits and a few other anime characters singing along after the "If you've just had sex in the last thirty minutes then you're qualified to sing with me" and then bring up karaoke for the audience so they can sing along as well :D

These are doable in the next week, but I am on a trip Thursday-Sunday (the 10th deadline) which will hinder my editing. I MAY be able to pull it off, but moonbunny if you want to and think you can do it, I think you get first dibs since it was your original clip. We can also collaborate, but that may just make things more complicated. I've been trying to get ahold of you, because if you can't do it, or don't want to, I need to get started immediately.

I believe that we can still get the updated version in as long as we prove we can get it in ahead of Scott's expectations. We are also the one who needed the least extra time of the 6, so that gives us an edge. Plus we have a reputation. I believe we can do this. We just need to be in communication. Please check in so we can finalize this plan.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”