Which format of video would you recommend?

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
NellyEdits
Org Profile

Which format of video would you recommend?

Post by NellyEdits » Mon May 21, 2012 3:25 pm

Currently, I have Sony Vegas Pro 8.0. I've been converting MKV. to MPEG-1 in Xilisoft in order to edit.
The quality of the episodes are decent (yet they could be better) and it won't lag when I work with it.
In certain AMVs I wish to incorporate the voices of the characters for a more dramatic effect. Unfortunately, when I drag my file to Sony Vegas
the audio seems to be missing. What format should I be converting in order to have both audio and video?
Thanks in advance, your answers are much appreciated.

setMosaic
Org Profile

Re: Which format of video would you recommend?

Post by setMosaic » Tue May 22, 2012 6:34 pm

As a Xilisoft Video Converter user. The best option it's convert to .avi (on the software, Profile > DivX - Movie).

And for the audio problem you should click on the [>] button and check if the Disable Audio option it's on False, but this issue (maybe) it's caused by the format that you are converting to.

Settings: http://i.imgur.com/m7Rfk.jpg

Hope I helped.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Tue May 22, 2012 10:21 pm

setMosaic wrote:DivX
Very bad idea. Divx/Xvid is notorious for causing issues. It may work now but when it fails, it fails. Divx/Xvid is also a lossy codec. You should never encode to a lossy codec to edit with. You will lose valuable video data from your source medium.

The best format to edit with is AVI using a lossless codec such as Huffyuv, Lagarith, or UTVideo. I would suggest UTVideo.

Cannonaire
Org Profile

Post by Cannonaire » Wed May 23, 2012 12:39 am

I would also recommend UTVideo and/or Lagarith. For audio, you should always use wav for editing. I gave you the links to the codecs you need in the other thread.
Image Think millionaire, but with cannons. || Resident Maaya Sakamoto fan.

setMosaic
Org Profile

Post by setMosaic » Sun May 27, 2012 4:16 pm

Ohh, DivX it's bad, too bad for me.
I think I need a new HD for uncompressed .avi files, dang it.
My bad for the terrible answer, was guiding you to the wrong way.
Really, really sorry.

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sun May 27, 2012 4:18 pm

setMosaic wrote:I think I need a new HD for uncompressed .avi files, dang it.
There's no need to go uncompressed, just to something lossless.

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Mon May 28, 2012 7:46 am

UTvideo is recommended and the next best option is probably lagarith. Use these lossless formats simply because you lose no quality with these during the encode. If you want audio I suggest taking that out separately but if you want it together use the PCM format because that too is editable and works very well as a lossless audio source

setMosaic
Org Profile

Post by setMosaic » Mon May 28, 2012 2:33 pm

Pwolf wrote:There's no need to go uncompressed, just to something lossless.
It's not the same thing? Like, I used UTVideo in VirtualDub to convert a movie [2,9gb, .mkv, 720p] to .avi [80gb], what's wrong with this big file size?

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Mon May 28, 2012 3:21 pm

There's nothing wrong with the big filesize, it's supposed to be that way.

UTvideo is a lossless codec which means that it compresses the data but when it's decompressed, there's no pixel data loss. That said, in order to keep the pixel data intact, you have to sacrifice filesize. A lossless compression is still better than uncompressed as far as file size is concerned (its also much faster since there's less data being pushed through the editing pipeline). A lossy codec, like h264 and divx/xvid, do a lot better at compressing the data down so the filesize is significantly smaller but when it's decompressed, you don't get original pixel data.

setMosaic
Org Profile

Post by setMosaic » Mon May 28, 2012 3:56 pm

Oh I see. So, it's the same thing, and me here thinking that this file was kinda abnormal. Yeah, need a new hard drive, now. I have 350gb at the moment and a lot of raw episodes to convert, will be sort of a pain in the ass, dang it. I was happy with DivX till I find this forum and what people really use for better editing. There's no way to get the same quality with a small file size? Knowing that I can encode to .mp4, there's another way? Or I have to stick with those options?

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”