Reduce banding

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Voidses_
Org Profile

Re: Reduce banding

Post by Voidses_ » Sat May 19, 2012 4:23 am

Mister Hatt wrote:I encoded Ergo Proxy when it was airing on TV (oh gods I'm old) and it didn't have all that much banding. KnK hasn't got any banding either, at least not noticeably on the DVD, BD, or the first two episodes on HDCAM. It's all in what you're doing to it. Check your cleanup filtering or colourimetry conversions though. I had a vaguely similar issue on COBRA where the temporal deblocking caused banding that didn't exist to begin with, then dither made it way worse.
"temporal deblocking", do you perhaps mean "cpu" in
mpeg2source("__vid__",cpu=4)
?
I have no idea what "cpu" does so I jsut leave it at 4 because someone someplace somewhere said so.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Thu May 24, 2012 1:30 am

No, never ever use any parameters on source plugins unless you seriously know what you're doing. The CPU argument does way more harm than good. I was using a custom filter for it but essentially the same as ttempsmoothf/mctd/deblock_qed all together. Most likely your avs is the issue but if it looks ok in Premiere prior to exporting, then screenshot your settings so we can see what stupid quantizing is going on. Otherwise, paste script.

My previous comment was mostly in relation to your claim of existing banding in those source when it isn't there at all.

Songbird21
Org Profile

Post by Songbird21 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:14 pm

Can you post a screen cap of what the problem looks like? I may have a solution but I need to be sure of the problem you got first. lol.
Best editing Connecticon 2013: Bravery

Switchplate City- Custom lightswitch covers (Some anime related) and more!

"Bloodline of Atlantis: The Triple Psi" - My fantasy novel (Only $1.99 It's an Ebook).

Return to “Adobe Software”