Tracking Motion During a Mask to achieve smoothness?

GuntherAMVs
Mistress of Cocaine.
Org Profile

Tracking Motion During a Mask to achieve smoothness?

Post by GuntherAMVs » Thu May 17, 2012 11:12 am

Hello there~! I have a sort of specific question about masking, and possibly parent/child composites.

If I mask a moving object frame by frame, and use the pan/zoom feature to carefully reposition a new image over it each time, it's going to be choppy, time consuming, and inaccurate.

Is there a way I can make the new image a compositing child, and give it special borders to follow as the object changes shape, so I'm not constantly doing it by hand? Or something else along those lines?

Or is that not something Vegas can do?

I am using Vegas Pro 11, with a Windows 64bit, AMD Phenom Quad-Core Processor at 3.0 Gigahertz, with 1 terabyte of system memory.

A big "Thank you very much!" to anyone who tries to help ^w^
Last edited by GuntherAMVs on Fri May 18, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
LIVE YOUR ART. LOVE YOUR LIFE.

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Re: Tracking Motion During a Mask to achieve smoothness?

Post by Niotex » Thu May 17, 2012 6:45 pm

Vegas does not have a camera tracker natively and I'm not aware of any third party ones that would work well. What you're wanting to do is more in the AE realm. If you do not have access to a package that does have a camera tracker and the scene isn't too long or complicated I'm willing to fix the scene for you.

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Thu May 17, 2012 9:24 pm

Can you explain after effects then?? I would kinda like to know how to have a fluid motion in after effect if possible ^_^

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Fri May 18, 2012 7:34 pm

The matter with Gunther has been dealt with. How ever lloyd if you're keen on the tracking tho I'll see if I can spare some time for a quick recording.

Drageer
Org Profile

Post by Drageer » Fri May 18, 2012 7:49 pm

Niotex wrote:The matter with Gunther has been dealt with. How ever lloyd if you're keen on the tracking tho I'll see if I can spare some time for a quick recording.
I think I'd be interested to see this as well if you could spare the time. :3

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Sat May 19, 2012 11:32 pm

Yeah, cause I've been trying it out myself and I can't seem to find an answer to masking either. Usually, to get a good mask, I end up having to make multiple masks for detailed masks. So a tracking mask would make this wayyyy easier. ^_^ And, who knows, I know that After Effects and Sony Vegas are completely different but Gunther might be able to find an idea that works for her too by watching the tutorial. ^_^

Thanks in advance, Niotex!

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Sun May 20, 2012 3:56 pm

"Is there a way I can make the new image a compositing child, and give it special borders to follow as the object changes shape, so I'm not constantly doing it by hand? Or something else along those lines?"
So I took a broad approach to the question. I'm addressing it as how to essentially track a shape with a roto. If you have any further questions specifically about actual motion tracking I'll follow up with that.

http://youtu.be/ynwpB-XJpRw?hd=1

Sorry for the delay been kinda preoccupied.

Return to “Effects & Techniques”