Best way to handle 1080p footage

Cannonaire
Org Profile

Re: Best way to handle 1080p footage

Post by Cannonaire » Thu May 10, 2012 1:50 am

Pwolf wrote:Don't use Xvid for editing, ever. It's also a lossy codec. Lagarith is pretty slow so try huffyuv and see if it's any better. I would suggest UTVideo but apparently there are issues with UTVideo and Vegas (so i'm told).
Not to derail the conversation, but I do have to set the record straight (I know where you heard this). Out of hundreds of UTVideo-encoded clips (clips, full episodes, and full movies of varying resolution) which I have imported into and used in Vegas, only a single short clip caused any problems for me. I would recommend UTVideo for editing over Lagarith for speed reasons and over HuffYUV for compatibility reasons (there are multiple formats of HuffYUV which can not be used interchangeably without issues). That said, for some reason I can not get Vegas 10 (Movie Studio Platinum) to render out to UTVideo, so I use Lagarith for making final masters; editing speed does not matter at that point anyway.

I second everything Pwolf said about not using Xvid for editing. What a mess.

Back on topic:
Is there anyone with a method for 1080 editing that is different from variations of bait-and-switch?
Image Think millionaire, but with cannons. || Resident Maaya Sakamoto fan.

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Thu May 10, 2012 2:17 am

Cannonaire wrote:
Pwolf wrote:Don't use Xvid for editing, ever. It's also a lossy codec. Lagarith is pretty slow so try huffyuv and see if it's any better. I would suggest UTVideo but apparently there are issues with UTVideo and Vegas (so i'm told).
Not to derail the conversation, but I do have to set the record straight (I know where you heard this). Out of hundreds of UTVideo-encoded clips (clips, full episodes, and full movies of varying resolution) which I have imported into and used in Vegas, only a single short clip caused any problems for me. I would recommend UTVideo for editing over Lagarith for speed reasons and over HuffYUV for compatibility reasons (there are multiple formats of HuffYUV which can not be used interchangeably without issues). That said, for some reason I can not get Vegas 10 (Movie Studio Platinum) to render out to UTVideo, so I use Lagarith for making final masters; editing speed does not matter at that point anyway.

I second everything Pwolf said about not using Xvid for editing. What a mess.

Back on topic:
Is there anyone with a method for 1080 editing that is different from variations of bait-and-switch?
I will definitely try the UTVideo route and see if that's any better. I only used Xvid for proxy editing, but again, that was still slow.

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Fri May 11, 2012 11:14 am

Wait... After lookig at your Windows 7 experience index score... Something seems kinda wrong.

You have an i7-2630QM, which is a 2.0ghz Sandy Bridge quad core for a laptop. I have an i5 -2410M laptop, which is a 2.3ghz quad core. Both have the Intel HD 3000 graphics with identical specs, except the i7-2630QM's runs juuuust a bit slower in turbo mode.

So how does mine score 5.9 for Aero but yours scores 4.9?

And to add some irony, I'll be replacing the CPU in my laptop tonight with a i7-2630QM which I ordered off eBay. I'm curious how mine would stack up.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri May 11, 2012 11:57 am

The i5-2410M has a higher GPU frequency.

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Fri May 11, 2012 12:35 pm

Pwolf wrote:The i5-2410M has a higher GPU frequency.
Both run stock at 650mhz, the 2410M runs at 1200mhz vs 1100Mhz in turbo mode. I just don't see how that'd result in a score difference of an entire point.

More over, his laptop seems to score .2 in 3D over mine, but that's likely just a minor difference that's insignifigant. A whole point however, that's sorta huge.

Oh well, I just got back from the post office with my 2630QM from eBay. We'll see what my experience index marks are like after a couple of hours of laptop surgery.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri May 11, 2012 12:40 pm

All things considered, the Index Score is a shitty benchmark anyway.

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Fri May 11, 2012 3:46 pm

Pwolf wrote:All things considered, the Index Score is a shitty benchmark anyway.
I won't disagree with this. Especially how the lowest number is your score, so for almost any machine that's a score of 5.9 or so due to the use of a mechanical hard drive.

Also, I upgraded the laptop (Heck yeah, I just upgraded a LAPTOP) and my Aero score is 5.8 down from 5.9. I still contend that a score of 4.9 on an HD 3000 is odd.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Tue May 29, 2012 11:01 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:It might also be worth figuring out where your bottleneck is (HDD or CPU). I wouldn't recommend SSDs for footage drives with the prices still this high, but striped RAID might speed up your throughput a bit. Also, i'm not sure about Vegas, but AE enjoys having large amounts of RAM to work with. I did something in what amounts to twice the resolution of 8K a while back and it needed 4GB to even load a frame at 1/8 quality.
They're not so high that a RAID0 of 2x high-speed 32GB SSD's will set you back much. Only copy your working files onto it, or use it for scratch in your NLE. 64GB is more than enough for lossless clips IMO. Of course if the bottleneck isn't your IO, then lol, but with fast lossless codecs such as UTV it generally is that, or RAM. Sometimes it can be the CPU but at the speeds where that happens it isn't an issue for editing.

Cannonaire
Org Profile

Post by Cannonaire » Wed May 30, 2012 12:46 am

Mister Hatt wrote:...64GB is more than enough for lossless clips IMO...
For convenience I generally render full movies/episodes and import them into my NLE rather than clip externally. It just makes the whole process go much faster and easier. That said, a Blu-ray movie rip can take upwards of 350GB lossless at 1080p (I know most anime is upscaled, but sometimes you edit with stuff that is not anime). However, that is not a problem anyway for me since I render it much lower and do bait-and-switch as previously mentioned. 64GB might be enough depending on how many sources you use, but 128 or more would be safer.
Image Think millionaire, but with cannons. || Resident Maaya Sakamoto fan.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:51 am

I meant that for clips rather than an actual BD itself, but I don't think I've ever seen a BD get that big, but I'm not used to keeping entire seasons on scratchdisk; just my working set. Of course an entire 12 episode set will be closer to 1.2TB in YV12 raw YUV.

Return to “Video Editing Software”