Sony Vegas / Ut video still a problem

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Sony Vegas / Ut video still a problem

Post by HalOfBorg » Wed May 09, 2012 6:46 am

I tried using Ut video in the past, and it worked great on my netbook. Lagarith files that would only play frame by frame, when made with Ut would play flawlessly, but using rendered files was almost impossible due to "COM surrogate" errors. I just brought a Ut clip made at home (using a Ut clip made at WORK) to work and used it to render a Ut clip - and this is the result:

I recently moved to Sony Vegas Pro 11 so I thought to try again.

These are all newer machines, running Windows 7, 2 are 32 bit, one is 64. When rendering, I select the same 32/64 bit codec for Ut as the version of Vegas.

I use the K-Lite Codec pack and have the latest Ut pack installed.

I made files using Ut at home, and they play fine, work fine in Vegas. I bring them to work and they won't play on this machine - even trying to get a thumbnail by selecting them in an explorer window causes the COM surrogate error.

Both machines are running Sony Vegas Pro 11 (latest build - not that earlier ones worked better).

In the past I have tried switching to the CCCP codec pack (as suggested here) with no effect at all so don't bother.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Re: Sony Vegas / Ut video still a problem

Post by Pwolf » Wed May 09, 2012 2:55 pm

Uninstall UTVideo completely. While you're at it, get rid of K-Lite. It probably doesn't have anything to do with this, its just terrible. Restart the computer. Download and install the latest version of UTVideo. Restart the computer.

Does it crash still?

On which computer is it crashing? 32bit, 64bit? On this computer, download the 32bit and 64bit versions of vdub and attempt to load the file. Does it load? Does it crash? Which version of the program did it crash/not load on?

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Wed May 09, 2012 6:00 pm

I didn't mention before that the computer has been restarted - it's one of the first things I try with problems. I tried it on the older machines, tried it on these, didn't expect it to help - it didn't.

This is the latest Ut video (11) installed. Has also been uninstalled and reinstalled (just in case).

I'm leaving K-Lite on as it works fine for me - I never run into a video I can't watch with MPC or V-Dub in a very rare case. Very rare. Except for the clip I just MADE.

The clip in question also causes same results on 32bit netbook. Can't get to the 64bit machine just now, I'll post results when I can.

32bit Vdub (just downloaded) loads the files, show me a purple screen with green squiggles (NOT in my video) and crashes if I try to play it.

An out-of-bounds memory access (access violation) occurred in module 'utv_core'...
...reading address AB309231...
...while decompressing video frame 1 (VideoSource.cpp:2141)...
...while using input buffer at 04500000-0453fad7 (VideoSource.cpp:2140)...
...while using output buffer at 04990080-04ae1883 (VideoSource.cpp:2139)...
...while running thread "Processing" (thread.cpp:163).

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed May 09, 2012 6:18 pm

When you pick the codec to use, which one are you picking?

Cannonaire
Org Profile

Post by Cannonaire » Thu May 10, 2012 1:52 am

I have no trouble using UTVideo as source footage in Vegas and I would highly recommend it. I do have trouble trying to render from Vegas in any UTVideo format, however. My suggestion is to use UTVideo for source due to faster decoding and use Lagarith for your render out/master.
Image Think millionaire, but with cannons. || Resident Maaya Sakamoto fan.

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Thu May 10, 2012 5:21 am

The 64bit machine has same result when trying to play the Ut clip made on the work 32bit machine, as well as one from the netbook.
Pwolf wrote:When you pick the codec to use, which one are you picking?
On the 64bit machine (with SVP 64bit) I use the 64bit codec, on the other two (32 bit) machines I use the 32 of course.

These SHOULD all create the same result, just the 64 bit machine should do it faster, shouldn't it?

Cannonaire wrote:I have no trouble using UTVideo as source footage in Vegas and I would highly recommend it. I do have trouble trying to render from Vegas in any UTVideo format, however. My suggestion is to use UTVideo for source due to faster decoding and use Lagarith for your render out/master.
Yay - someone else with same/similar situation. I wanted to create Ut files/clips to work with on the netbook since it is very underpowered. I will be using it for 2 weeks to several months when I go for the high dose chemo/radiation/stem cell fun.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu May 10, 2012 12:35 pm

HalOfBorg wrote:
Pwolf wrote:When you pick the codec to use, which one are you picking?
On the 64bit machine (with SVP 64bit) I use the 64bit codec, on the other two (32 bit) machines I use the 32 of course.
That wasn't what i was asking. There are several UTVideo options: RGB, RGBA, YUV420, YUV422. Which one are you using?

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Thu May 10, 2012 10:21 pm

RGB (ULRG) VCM x64

Never even considered these options this time around.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Cannonaire
Org Profile

Post by Cannonaire » Fri May 11, 2012 12:55 am

AFAIK Vegas converts everything to RGB(A) for internal processing, so it is best to import RGB or RGBA source (if the video uses the alpha channel) and do the conversion from Y'CbCr yourself beforehand to prevent conversion inconsistencies. But it sounds like you might be doing this already. This should have no effect on encoding video from Vegas, however. ULRG is the same option I would use for rendering out of Vegas with UTVideo if it worked for me. I recall trying more than just that one option, but I could be mistaken. If I have some time tomorrow, I'll see if I can get it working and report back.

If you just can not get the UTVideo options to work, you can always render as Lagarith RGB and then re-encode to UTVideo with Virtualdub, though doing so is obviously less than ideal.
Image Think millionaire, but with cannons. || Resident Maaya Sakamoto fan.

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Fri May 11, 2012 5:43 am

I understand SO very little about video, most of this goes right past me. It makes sense when I read tutorials, but it's like my brain is on read-only - nothing gets recorded.
I don't use the proper tools, or sources (though I DO rip what DVDs I have/can). Up 'til now I've had no problem making clips using lagarith, hope I can get Ut working.

I will try some of the other options (including changing the input clip's settings) as soom as I can.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “Video Editing Software”