Any thinkers here?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
EvaFan
Org Profile

Re: Any thinkers here?

Post by EvaFan » Wed May 09, 2012 4:10 pm

I was gonna say a ton of stuff to sound smart and cool like some of the other people up in here but then I remembered that I've already grown up.

or have I? :awesome:
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

aesling
Mad Scientist
Org Profile

Post by aesling » Wed May 09, 2012 6:13 pm

EvaFan wrote:I was gonna say a ton of stuff to sound smart and cool like some of the other people up in here but then I remembered that I've already grown up.

Quoted Image converted to link:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cJMw0-J4WK8/T ... rocess.gif

or have I? :awesome:
:ying:

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Wed May 09, 2012 8:26 pm

No, no, Aes, in America we tip our servers.

Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Any thinkers here?

Post by TEKnician » Wed May 09, 2012 9:29 pm

"Grown ups are just children with money"
"Act your age"
"Don't waste your youth"
"You are either in your prime or past it"

Pick a common saying about age and talk about what it means and why someone might think that.
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

I Fight For The Users
Org Profile

Re: Metacircularity

Post by I Fight For The Users » Thu May 10, 2012 3:33 am

Emong wrote:
aesling wrote:Ok, to be more serious here, I don't want to be mean, but usually when you are asked to pick your own essay topic, the goal is to make you think. Think critically about the issue, find some aspect of it that interests you, then do some research to support your thoughts and theories. In the course of your research you may find out all kinds of new things, and you may even have to adjust your original argument based on what you find. It's important to go through that process because teaching someone how to think for themselves and analyze issues is incredibly difficult, and asking an internet forum for help isn't going to help you learn that.
But it's precisely the opposite: it's only when you get in contact with others and their opinions that your own opinions are challenged and you're forced to consider a lot of different options that you haven't even thought about before. This is how you learn to reflect on your own thinking, not in isolation from others.

It's always good to ask others for their ideas :up:
Yes, once you've formed your own ideas. Eake4 has shown no evidence of that.

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Re: Metacircularity

Post by Eake4 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:24 am

I Fight For The Users wrote: Yes, once you've formed your own ideas. Eake4 has shown no evidence of that.
Ah true, I probably should've put some of my own ideas.

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Thu May 10, 2012 7:26 am

Joking aside, I feel kinda bad for not answering the OP even though the essay has prolly already been finished. Here's a tip: Don't try coming up with a title till after you've finished the essay, that way you can work off of what you've wrote and the writing style of the essay to generate ideas for a title that sets the stage for the reader. I guess if you really know what you plan to write about you could generate a title first but I always do the title last for essays.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Thu May 10, 2012 8:05 am

EvaFan wrote:
Quoted Image converted to link:
http://supermegatrolled.com/img/oh-no-you-didn039t.jpg

Joking aside, I feel kinda bad for not answering the OP even though the essay has prolly already been finished. Here's a tip: Don't try coming up with a title till after you've finished the essay, that way you can work off of what you've wrote and the writing style of the essay to generate ideas for a title that sets the stage for the reader. I guess if you really know what you plan to write about you could generate a title first but I always do the title last for essays.
Ahh actually its due tommorow morning and im just rushing like a mad man trying to complete this behemoth of a task. I thank you for your comment. btw you have any ideas on how to end a short story?

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Thu May 10, 2012 9:18 am

-Eake4- wrote:you have any ideas on how to end a short story?
What was the goal of the short story? Is it a life experience (I'm guessing this), if so what did you learn from it (inform)? Was it to (entertain), if so what was the element that made it entertaining, draw up on that more when concluding. Were you trying to persuade readers to think the way you do with the short story, if so conclude with the things you wanted them to understand and why they should be understood or seen the way you do, for example: growing up sux, and the essay would be points as to why it sucks along with reasons why. When you conclude you want to leave readers either feeling entertained, informed, persuaded (hopefully, not always the case), or the general reason for writing it other than just wanting to or being forced to.

Also, the essay is apparently about growing up from what you wrote on the first post. Not you. It's ok to put in a short story but just remember that an element like that in the essay would be to enforce a point, belief, or ideal. Like for example a short story about a kid nearly dying from a bicycle accident not wearing a helmet and be a good enforcer for the ideal that wearing helmets is for your own safety.

I can't tell you how to end a short story assuming your actually writing a short story instead of an essay but if your writing an essay the above may help you. The rest of the essay should be more points, beliefs, and ideals about growing up in general or a subtopic you've picked from growing up, like school life for example. The short story itself is not an essay. Ending a story is for the most part entirely up to the one writing it. Only advice I can offer there is what do you want the reader to feel after they read the last sentence in the story and work from there.

Overall your still in highschool and essays don't really start to get serious till your first english college class where you really get into things like thesis statements, structure, purpose, and audience so I wouldn't worry too much about it right now and just write however you feel comfortable enough to finish the paper in time.

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:21 am

EvaFan wrote:
-Eake4- wrote:you have any ideas on how to end a short story?
What was the goal of the short story? Is it a life experience (I'm guessing this), if so what did you learn from it (inform)? Was it to (entertain), if so what was the element that made it entertaining, draw up on that more when concluding. Were you trying to persuade readers to think the way you do with the short story, if so conclude with the things you wanted them to understand and why they should be understood or seen the way you do, for example: growing up sux, and the essay would be points as to why it sucks along with reasons why. When you conclude you want to leave readers either feeling entertained, informed, persuaded (hopefully, not always the case), or the general reason for writing it other than just wanting to or being forced to.

Also, the essay is apparently about growing up from what you wrote on the first post. Not you. It's ok to put in a short story but just remember that an element like that in the essay would be to enforce a point, belief, or ideal. Like for example a short story about a kid nearly dying from a bicycle accident not wearing a helmet and be a good enforcer for the ideal that wearing helmets is for your own safety.

I can't tell you how to end a short story assuming your actually writing a short story instead of an essay but if your writing an essay the above may help you. The rest of the essay should be more points, beliefs, and ideals about growing up in general or a subtopic you've picked from growing up, like school life for example. The short story itself is not an essay. Ending a story is for the most part entirely up to the one writing it. Only advice I can offer there is what do you want the reader to feel after they read the last sentence in the story and work from there.

Overall your still in highschool and essays don't really start to get serious till your first english college class where you really get into things like thesis statements, structure, purpose, and audience so I wouldn't worry too much about it right now and just write however you feel comfortable enough to finish the paper in time.
Oh shit i didnt make it clear, Im doing both a short story and an essay. I;ve just finished my short story. Thanks

Return to “General Discussion”