Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
DillonTaylor
Org Profile

Post by DillonTaylor » Mon May 07, 2012 8:08 am

Hey everyone! I haven't done an AMV in a while, but I wanted to do one for Avatar: TLA in light of Korra getting started. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

http://vimeo.com/41697604

Animated
Drama Text Cop
Org Profile

Re: Avatar ~ Burn it Down

Post by Animated » Mon May 07, 2012 9:58 am

Well, the truth is that Avatar is not considered an anime... tough luck buddy.

Animated
Drama Text Cop
Org Profile

Post by Animated » Mon May 07, 2012 10:06 am

Also...
The art and the choreography in these scenes are so fantastic that I didn't want to interrupt them with special FX and fast cuts.
Well, that's a beginner's mistake. Who said that fast cuts would destroy your video? :) Anyway, the way you made it seemed like you put the story of an episode and then just added a random song. I kinda liked the slow-mo scenes around the end, but apart from that... you'll need to practise more!

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Mon May 07, 2012 10:42 am

As you were told, avatar is not an anime, thus I removed the video from the catalog and moved the topic to general discussion. Feel free to discuss the video in here.

aesling
Mad Scientist
Org Profile

Post by aesling » Mon May 07, 2012 12:23 pm

You don't necessarily need TONS of fast cuts to make a good action MV, but then you do need to use a lot of internal sync, which you didn't do either. The fight scenes in Avatar have a great inherent beat, since the bending choreography is based a lot on martial arts and is punctuated with lots of punches and sweeps combined with fluid movement. I think what tripped you up was your dedication to using only those two fight scenes from the final few episodes. If you had condensed them, and used only the more fast paced scenes, and manipulated footage to beat sync, then interspersed fights from different parts of the series, you could have ended up with a much faster paced video, with the pivotal final fights as an emotional climax that could have tied the whole video together. Action videos end up condensing fights quite a bit as you have to use bits that work, and trim out bits that don't so using more than two fights would pretty much be a must. I think the giant flame blasts, while cool looking, didn't end up doing much for the video after the first one either, but you used them a lot. In my opinion, this video has some pretty good potential, and I see where you were trying to go in terms of mood, but I think you hobbled yourself conceptually. Also, lose the black flashes at the end.
:ying:

Return to “General Discussion”