The Otakon 2012 Thread: AMV Contest Results All Up in Here

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
xDreww
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2012 Thread: AMV Contest Rules are Live

Post by xDreww » Sun May 06, 2012 8:28 pm

VicBond007 wrote:
Shin-AMV wrote:How does Big Contest factor into it? Its an online ongoing contest, and the winners are announced something like 10 days after the final video is played, which could be before or after the Otakon deadline. I'm guessing if we go strictly by the wording of the rules Big Contest wouldn't even factor in since its not a convention or anything, but just wanted to check in to make sure.
Strictly online contests don't count.
Soo..can I do one video for both Otakon and Japan Expo?

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Sun May 06, 2012 9:01 pm

xDreww wrote:
VicBond007 wrote:
Shin-AMV wrote:How does Big Contest factor into it? Its an online ongoing contest, and the winners are announced something like 10 days after the final video is played, which could be before or after the Otakon deadline. I'm guessing if we go strictly by the wording of the rules Big Contest wouldn't even factor in since its not a convention or anything, but just wanted to check in to make sure.
Strictly online contests don't count.
Soo..can I do one video for both Otakon and Japan Expo?
Short answer would be yes.

Long Answer
The results of Japan Expo don't get released until the Con which happens around July 5-7th, which satisfies Otakon's No Wins up to June 11th Deadline Rule, and Otakon doesn't happen until July 27th which wouldn't interfere with Japan Expo's exclusive premier rule.

xDreww
Org Profile

Post by xDreww » Mon May 07, 2012 9:11 am

[/quote]

Short answer would be yes.

Long Answer
The results of Japan Expo don't get released until the Con which happens around July 5-7th, which satisfies Otakon's No Wins up to June 11th Deadline Rule, and Otakon doesn't happen until July 27th which wouldn't interfere with Japan Expo's exclusive premier rule.[/quote]

Cool! Thanks for letting me know in more detail shin. ^^

TheLuminaireShow
Org Profile

Post by TheLuminaireShow » Thu May 17, 2012 7:41 pm

So I have a question regarding formatting. Here's my source material:

712 x 480
1.1980 pixel ratio
23.973 fps

Contest says it'll be in 720 x 480 in 4:3 so what's the best way to interpret this footage and get rid of letter boxing? If I tell Adobe Premiere to interpret my footage as NTSC Widescreen (1.2121 pixel ratio) than it previews almost perfectly, there's like less than 4 pixels of vertical black. But contest says to encode for 4:3 playback, which gives the horrible letter boxing. I guess I don't understand the difference between 4:3 and 16:9 if they both fit inside the 720x480 frame.

Help is much appreciated
Name's Luminaire. Oboishinasai!
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLuminaireShow

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Thu May 17, 2012 9:09 pm

TheLuminaireShow wrote:So I have a question regarding formatting. Here's my source material:

712 x 480
1.1980 pixel ratio
23.973 fps

Contest says it'll be in 720 x 480 in 4:3 so what's the best way to interpret this footage and get rid of letter boxing? If I tell Adobe Premiere to interpret my footage as NTSC Widescreen (1.2121 pixel ratio) than it previews almost perfectly, there's like less than 4 pixels of vertical black. But contest says to encode for 4:3 playback, which gives the horrible letter boxing. I guess I don't understand the difference between 4:3 and 16:9 if they both fit inside the 720x480 frame.

Help is much appreciated
Give me what you have, I will make it look right.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

TheLuminaireShow
Org Profile

Post by TheLuminaireShow » Thu May 17, 2012 9:56 pm

I guess I'll just submit multiple versions so there's more to work with.
Name's Luminaire. Oboishinasai!
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLuminaireShow

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:10 pm

Uberbump due to Earth shattering changes in the first post.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

EimiJ7
Org Profile

Post by EimiJ7 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:20 pm

I already submitted a video that was pre-letter boxed. Is it okay if I just upload the widescreen version to the ftp server?

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:27 pm

EimiJ7 wrote:I already submitted a video that was pre-letter boxed. Is it okay if I just upload the widescreen version to the ftp server?
Yes by all means please do so. I will also be personally e-mailing everyone who has submitted pre-letterboxed so far, informing them of this change, to see if they have a non-letterboxed version available.

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Fri May 25, 2012 4:29 pm

VicBond007 wrote:Uberbump due to Earth shattering changes in the first post.
Nice of them to let you know so late.
ImageImage

Return to “AMV Contests”