"The Quickening" Registration Thread - FULL

This is the main (and archive) forum for The Quickening, hosted by AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Chained(E)Studio
Org Profile

Re: "The Quickening" Registration Thread - FULL

Post by Chained(E)Studio » Sun May 06, 2012 1:32 am

pacotacoshell wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:Yea, wow. Personal responsibility and actions having consequences - what was I thinking? :roll:
This. Haha, I don't really understand what's so bad about that rule. You don't want the same person dropping again, so you put him at the bottom of the list. It's their fault for dropping out in the first place. It also doesn't mean they don't want them in their contest, it just means that they aren't a higher priority over later registrants because they dropped out last year. I don't see the problem there.
So what, you have someone who signs up not knowing that maybe in 2 weeks someone dies in their family or they get really sick, maybe even hospitalized. Yes, so they deserve to be on the bottom list next year for dropping. And you can't say.. huh well you can give these people the slide. NO, it must be for everyone. That's plan out stupid, and takes the fun out of it. And anyone who drops should have a right to drop for their own reasons and not be punished (especially considering not everyone will tell you why they drop, because somethings can be too personal) ...... >.>

xDreww
Org Profile

Post by xDreww » Sun May 06, 2012 1:39 am

Chained(E)Studio wrote:
pacotacoshell wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:Yea, wow. Personal responsibility and actions having consequences - what was I thinking? :roll:
This. Haha, I don't really understand what's so bad about that rule. You don't want the same person dropping again, so you put him at the bottom of the list. It's their fault for dropping out in the first place. It also doesn't mean they don't want them in their contest, it just means that they aren't a higher priority over later registrants because they dropped out last year. I don't see the problem there.
So what, you have someone who signs up not knowing that maybe in 2 weeks someone dies in their family or they get really sick, maybe even hospitalized. Yes, so they deserve to be on the bottom list next year for dropping. And you can't say.. huh well you can give these people the slide. NO, it must be for everyone. That's plan out stupid, and takes the fun out of it. And anyone who drops should have a right to drop for their own reasons and not be punished (especially considering not everyone will tell you why they drop, because somethings can be too personal) ...... >.>
This I agree.

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Sun May 06, 2012 4:46 am

Chained(E)Studio wrote:
pacotacoshell wrote:
Oh geez, it seems we're not on the same page here. If they have a good reason then of course this whole rule doesn't even matter. The only ones that apply to this are the ones that don't give a reason. The ones that just randomly join, then drop out because they don't like the song/other random and uncool excuses. xD

siny
Org Profile

Post by siny » Sun May 06, 2012 9:03 am

MimS wrote:Siny, I clearly got what he said and to me it's equal to a judgement : "Yo dude, last time you dropped so you see, I don't like people who drop in contests so sorry but even if you showed your interest in this one before other guys, I don't want you, bye"
Seriously, wtf?
It's bye bye, you just get to the bottom of the list, if no one else signs up you're in.
It's just a way to prevent people dropping out because of silly things or they just changed their minds (not for obvious "good" reasons). Even if just one person drops out, the fun of the contest was a bit damaged at least for that group... (in my opinion)

But it's not that I agree with this. Though I already saw some people dropping out of things, even MEP's where they picked their parts and close to the deadline they say "oh I can't work with this song... I don't know what to do, so I'm out". For those, there should be at least a Hall of Shame kind of thing :twisted:
ImageImage
ImageImage

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun May 06, 2012 9:09 am

Chained(E)Studio wrote:
pacotacoshell wrote:
There's a difference between an actual emergency coming up and someone not having the personal restraint to not join up when they have a lot on their plate or simply lacking the commitment to go through with what they started. If you think most people that drop out of things like this are in the first category, then I have a bridge to sell you.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

MimS
Baguette Master
Org Profile

Post by MimS » Sun May 06, 2012 12:33 pm

Ash is going far, I wasn't thinking of this kind of cases at all actually.
Just that, yes, there are people who kinda ruin stuffs by not being serious but there are just people that drop because... they didn't feel like they would make something decent with what we gave us. At least, I'll take my own case : I don't remember which Contest Code coordinated not long ago, I registered and the theme for 1st round was to make a promotional vid :
Finally I dropped not because I wanted to but because it was like "huuuuu even if I try I'll never be satisfying, I don't feel like being able to make what I'm really capable of with this theme. I'm not saying at all it was bad, just that the theme was "stronger" than me, it left me out of motivating ideas.

About Quickening itself, know that the first reason why it was thought as a weekly editing contest is that Neb and other AMV-France staff members came to the conclusion that having one week to edit doesn't mean you'll edit all the time, it just means that we know that people HAVE their own lifes, that some of them work on week-ends (like myself once again) despite most of other people work from monday to friday so it was just a way to let people plan their week. We were like "ok dude, you have one week, now, you don't have any excuses for dropping"... However, it couldln't help one group to only have 2 sent videos over 6 editors :/
The final idea of this thing is not that I support "dropping", not at all, as a coordinator myself I want to avoid it as much as possible but thing is there will always be people who dropped.
Though, I'll give to Yue one thing : Still during the 1st Quickening edition, when editors chosed when they wanted to edit like Yue wants us to do now, suddenly a date was given and then there had far more dropping than before which means letting editors when they want to edit is the best way to keep seeing people involved in the contest

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sun May 06, 2012 9:19 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
Chained(E)Studio wrote:
pacotacoshell wrote:This. Haha, I don't really understand what's so bad about that rule. You don't want the same person dropping again, so you put him at the bottom of the list. It's their fault for dropping out in the first place. It also doesn't mean they don't want them in their contest, it just means that they aren't a higher priority over later registrants because they dropped out last year. I don't see the problem there.
There's a difference between an actual emergency coming up and someone not having the personal restraint to not join up when they have a lot on their plate or simply lacking the commitment to go through with what they started. If you think most people that drop out of things like this are in the first category, then I have a bridge to sell you.
Still, I would pick the "Believe everyone who drops that they have dropped for personal and grave reasons unless proved otherwise." over "Let anyone who drops be marked as a dropper and be punished for it the next time they try." anytime. The presumption of innocence and all. Not that I can prove the former for some 90% of people (which doesn't stop me from picking it).

meleechampion
Org Profile

Post by meleechampion » Sun May 06, 2012 10:41 pm

If the casualty is "someone who actually wanted to enter should have and now someone is taking their spot" boo freaking hoo these contest spots aren't tickets to blizzcon, they don't run out in five minutes. Be proactive in telling your friends next time.

Well whatever, if you want to make and keep a list of "undeserving people" who you don't want in your contest that you run, come out and say it's because you don't like them. Don't make up rules for bullshit.

sakuraslight
Need more Jiggawatts
Org Profile

Post by sakuraslight » Mon May 07, 2012 5:12 am

THIS is going to be FUN to watch.. high hopes for AMV4000 and SHIN AMV... Might start a Pool.
good luck to all who are entering ^^
ImageImage

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon May 07, 2012 7:44 am

meleechampion wrote:If the casualty is "someone who actually wanted to enter should have and now someone is taking their spot" boo freaking hoo these contest spots aren't tickets to blizzcon, they don't run out in five minutes. Be proactive in telling your friends next time.

Well whatever, if you want to make and keep a list of "undeserving people" who you don't want in your contest that you run, come out and say it's because you don't like them. Don't make up rules for bullshit.
You're projecting intent quite a bit here. I've never had intent to be in this or any of the other contests like this. Nor do I know anyone that's expressed to me a desire to join them but was unable to. I saw a problem that has caused a lot of grief to several of these things get brought up again and feigned surprise that somebody hasn't actually done something about the problem to hold the people responsible for it accountable in some way. Apparently accountability is frowned on, though.

I really have no beef with individuals, especially those with legitimate emergencies that come up - just with the "actions shouldn't have consequences" mindset. It's creative problem solving for dealing with people with poor impulse control.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “The Quickening 2012”