Problems With My The Quickening Round 1 Entry............

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Problems With My The Quickening Round 1 Entry............

Post by TwilightChrono » Fri May 04, 2012 1:45 am

Here are the issues:

[MOD258: Removed due to judging reasons since it's now solved.]

But here's the catch. For some reason, my hard-drive won't let me re-write my script, leaving me no choice but to wait till I finish my entry to fix it.

Now my question is:

1. What is wrong with the source?
2. Can I fix it after I finish my entry if I save it as a huffy or laggy?
3. And what should my script look like to fix it if it is saved as huffy or laggy?

I'm at a loss. I really don't know what to do. I literally have no choice but to wait till I finish to fix it since I can't fix the source script.

Help me please?
Premiering At Another Anime Con 2012

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Problems With My The Quickening Round 1 Entry...........

Post by mirkosp » Fri May 04, 2012 2:09 am

Looks like somebody didn't properly deinterlace the source before getting it ready for editing.
Something like that cannot be fixed afterwards. The closest solution at this point is doing a vertical blur and then maybe some vertical sharpening to try and hide it a bit as just simple blending, but it is an ugly solution. Vinverse in avisynth COULD also work, but it entirely depends on whether it picks it up or not, which I am not sure at this point.
Next time make sure you properly deinterlace and/or ivtc your footage when you rip it.
PS: Don't tell me you're editing through fake avi or some solution like that. It is the source of all issues. You should just make proper lossless clips to edit from. Had you done this beforehand, you would have noticed earlier that the deinterlacing wasn't done correctly and you would have been able to easily fix it before editing, or just switching to the proper clips afterwards.

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Fri May 04, 2012 2:28 am

mirkosp wrote:Looks like somebody didn't properly deinterlace the source before getting it ready for editing.
Something like that cannot be fixed afterwards. The closest solution at this point is doing a vertical blur and then maybe some vertical sharpening to try and hide it a bit as just simple blending, but it is an ugly solution. Vinverse in avisynth COULD also work, but it entirely depends on whether it picks it up or not, which I am not sure at this point.
Next time make sure you properly deinterlace and/or ivtc your footage when you rip it.
PS: Don't tell me you're editing through fake avi or some solution like that. It is the source of all issues. You should just make proper lossless clips to edit from. Had you done this beforehand, you would have noticed earlier that the deinterlacing wasn't done correctly and you would have been able to easily fix it before editing, or just switching to the proper clips afterwards.
The thing is, I had figured in the deinterlacing for the script. So that's not the issue. I don't know what's happening. It wasn't like this when I started editing. This is something that has happened since I started editing my entry. About halfway through and then BANG! On top of my hard-drive issues that suddenlly happened, these issues pop up out of no-where.

None of this was in there beforehand.

I changed nothing in my script at all. It was just......there after I fixed my hard-drive.

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Fri May 04, 2012 2:29 am

What if I re-rip my source and go from there?

Will I have to re-edt everything that I've already done?

Or will vegas pick up on the replacement file?

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Fri May 04, 2012 2:41 am

HOLY COW!!

Boy did I get lucky.

I just rendered out a copy to look an dsee how bad it was in the actual video.

WHOO!

Thank god. It's not even noticeable in the fully rendered version.

Must be something wrong with my editor display after my Hard-drive crash.

Talk about scary.

Problem solved.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri May 04, 2012 2:42 am

That's... what.
So. You made the script and those same frames were properly deinterlaced.
THEN, after hdd issues, you get that terrible combing on the previously clean frames?
I honestly am at a loss myself. Unless you're using a non frame-accurate filter to load the source, avisynth is surely deterministic, which means that the results of the same filterchain on the same footage will always be identical.
I guess this will teach you how unsafe fake avi editing ends up being. :\
As I said, if fixing from scratch is not an option, you should first try to run vinverse. Assuming you don't do ANY zoom of any amount, it will work (if it does, you might also want to give nnedi3() a try, since postprocessing the whole thing might fix it clean). If you have to zoom, it will fail, and you will have to do some vertical blurring and/or lowering the resolution, possibly by half, in order to hide it as simple blending. But restoring clean frames would be impossible in this latter case. In the former, as I said, nnedi3 or some other postprocessing filter could do.
I guess you could try to do the basic editing WITHOUT any zooms, export, nnedi3 on that and see how it comes out, and the reload and add zooms and effects to that. You're going to have to edit in bits like that if you want a better quality output at this point, but not like you can really do much anymore.

EDIT: Oh, so it's just a vegas preview fail or something and in final render it's fine? You might want to check your project settings then, maybe you accidently switched the timeline from progressive to interlaced.

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Fri May 04, 2012 2:59 am

mirkosp wrote:That's... what.
So. You made the script and those same frames were properly deinterlaced.
THEN, after hdd issues, you get that terrible combing on the previously clean frames?
I honestly am at a loss myself. Unless you're using a non frame-accurate filter to load the source, avisynth is surely deterministic, which means that the results of the same filterchain on the same footage will always be identical.
I guess this will teach you how unsafe fake avi editing ends up being. :\
As I said, if fixing from scratch is not an option, you should first try to run vinverse. Assuming you don't do ANY zoom of any amount, it will work (if it does, you might also want to give nnedi3() a try, since postprocessing the whole thing might fix it clean). If you have to zoom, it will fail, and you will have to do some vertical blurring and/or lowering the resolution, possibly by half, in order to hide it as simple blending. But restoring clean frames would be impossible in this latter case. In the former, as I said, nnedi3 or some other postprocessing filter could do.
I guess you could try to do the basic editing WITHOUT any zooms, export, nnedi3 on that and see how it comes out, and the reload and add zooms and effects to that. You're going to have to edit in bits like that if you want a better quality output at this point, but not like you can really do much anymore.

EDIT: Oh, so it's just a vegas preview fail or something and in final render it's fine? You might want to check your project settings then, maybe you accidently switched the timeline from progressive to interlaced.
It says my time-line is fine. Hmmm. I'm not sure myself what is going on. I've never had an issue with my video preview before, so I have no clue what's going on. The render is fine though.

There is however, a little bit of interlacing at points before this in the final render, but it's in no way noticeable unless you're looking for it.

I'm pretty sure I can fix that with a final render no problem. All my videos normally have a little interlacing in them, but I'm normally able to get it out before or during final render.

here's hopin. But don't wory. it doesn't detract from the video at all. It's like I said. You don't even notice it unless you're looking real hard for it.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri May 04, 2012 4:40 am

Due to what I generally do, I pretty much trained my eye to be able to spot single frame fuckups in motion... I hope what you say is true. >_>
That said, I'll proceed and remove the screens from the OP post, so I'll hopefully be able to forget how the source looks by the time I'll have to judge. I know it's not going to be blind judging, but I'd like to try and avoid possible influences. I hope it makes sense... :sweat:

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Fri May 04, 2012 7:18 am

mirkosp wrote:Due to what I generally do, I pretty much trained my eye to be able to spot single frame fuckups in motion... I hope what you say is true. >_>
That said, I'll proceed and remove the screens from the OP post, so I'll hopefully be able to forget how the source looks by the time I'll have to judge. I know it's not going to be blind judging, but I'd like to try and avoid possible influences. I hope it makes sense... :sweat:
I understand completely.

I haven't had anyone beta testing this since I started. Since I'm afraid it will break the rules if I do. I don't recall seeing that rule in there, but better safe than sorry.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri May 04, 2012 10:42 am

No rule against it, and I believe you can make the amv public, as, in the rules:
The clips will be sent either via FTP (information will be provided to the entrants on the final day of their round) or personal hosting. You will be given information to upload your video onto a server but if you wish to use your own hosting, upload to AnimeMusicVideos.org or use a file transfer site such as mediafire, you can also do so.
Which means that it'd obviously be public.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”