AMV Salad 6...next stop: ZENKAIKON

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Re: AMV Salad 6...FIRST DEADLINE - MAY 4!

Post by Gaelstrom » Thu May 03, 2012 4:23 pm

krvabo wrote:It's a shame to hear that.
If no one is found, you could always start another salad when you've got the time to, instead of every year. Personally I don't have the time for it either, nor am I the best person to lead such a project.

For this year I've concocted a little "4 piece" set, although it might even work better as a 2-piece. (the first and last clip of this WIP).
It is roughly one minute long for the four clips, but it is far from done. The second and third clips are just placeholders for now, and I've left black gaps between them in the video. I'm not really sure about the second and third anyway. The clips could be a 'running gag', but I don't think it's really strong enough for that at this stage. The first clip is basicly a 'base' / explanation why the last clip is funny.

http://sketsi.com/salad/amvs6-wip2.avi (13MB)
Hmmm... well, I guess it has some potential, but to be honest I kept expecting something to happen, and then in the fourth one, I'm pretty up on my memes, but even I don't know what that is. Of course knowing my comedic timing, I expected his head to keep banging faster and faster until it exploded, but... well you know me and explosions :sweat:

I think the problem is there's no reaction involved by either of them. First off I don't know the source, and if that's important, well I can tell you anyone who doesn't know it won't find this funny. One of the reasons I think many of us use so many classic and older or very popular anime is because it opens up more potential for audience enjoyment.

Personally, I wouldn't really consider this one worth continuing I'm sorry to say, Krvabo. If you're having any trouble coming up with ideas you actually feel strongly about, do you want to chat via messenger or something and brainstorm? I promise you brainstorming between a couple people really leads to some great moments. I have two other friends who I bounce ideas off of, they're a chief reason some of my stuff exists. Warlike Swans is technically two people as well. I'm not trying to discourage you at all, but if your idea well is dry with your usual direction, maybe you could get some inspiration going in another creative direction?
ImageImageImage

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Thu May 03, 2012 4:47 pm

Krvabo...I was amused by the final clip because I didn't see "cool story bro" guy coming BUT I think the surprise might get lost along the way to the end.
I'm reminded of the "watching you fap" clips from last year.
Those worked because of the recurrence of the scene, the same music, and the "awesomeface" popping up at the end.
The general reactions have been moderate at best.
With this set, I think in the end there's too little going on to have enough impact, if that makes any sense.
You're on the right track but there's more potential to be realized here.
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

krvabo
Org Profile

Post by krvabo » Thu May 03, 2012 5:00 pm

Well that's why I put a WIP on, and it seems I was right to do so ;)

It's not the "cool story bro" 'rageface', it's "b.tch please" http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/yao-ming-face
But if you don't know what it's supposed to be, I guess it really isn't funny. The trollface I used last year was more evident in that regard.

My reasoning was that with the Dr Oizo one (first one), you've got that headbanging thing going on, like in the clip, and when you see the beginning of the fourth clip you expect him to headbang again, but instead 'b.tch please" comes up. I could do a "Bitch Please" on top to make it more obvious and in that regard, funnier. Though I don't know the policy on swearing at the cons, but in my view of what 'goes' in America, you're not big fans of swearing in video :P

Gaelstrom: no, it's not the source that matters. If you know the source, it doesn't make it funnier. You have to, however, know the "B.tch please" and the Bieber song.
We could do the first clip, then a "video divider" (test screen), and immediately after the fourth clip.
If you don't think it'll work, then by all means don't include it and I'll give up on it :)
ImageImageImage

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Thu May 03, 2012 5:12 pm

Aaaah, I see now. The idea of "Bitch please, I ain't head banging to that shit!" In concept that's amusing, but I honestly didn't catch on to that at all I'm sorry to say, I don't know if many others will either. To be honest I wouldn't ever headbang to the first song anyway personally. This idea relies too much on the audience hearing stuff they WANT to headbang to, and the only one I started bobbing my head to was Du Hast. The idea works, but considering you're dealing with such a personal thing as musical taste, it's a bit risky as a base for humor, and the comedic connection requires a bit too much.

For example I personally didn't necessarily find the "Electric Slide" clip last year that amusing, but lo and behold, there was the entire audience clapping along :D That one caught me off guard in a good way. Which made it slightly awkward when you see in the reaction vid that the clip's cut was off-beat and the entire audience got tripped up in their clapping :? Oops... Also keep in mind there will be a bunch of teenage girls at a con, and unfortunately they may love Justin Beiber so your clip could actually backfire... which would be a strange moment :)

This is one of those instances I think Deuce was talking about regarding forcing an idea. I think letting this one go will be for the best, because I know you can do better. You don't have to force it. Actually you know what worked for me was looking through a list of things I've watched before, just seeing their names, and thinking about various comedies and comedians I've seen recently, and got three ideas out of that. I threw out two of them, but one of them lead to the "Drive Down the Street" clip from AMVS4. I did it again and got the "Neighbors" One Piece clip.
ImageImageImage

moonbunnychan
Org Profile

Post by moonbunnychan » Fri May 04, 2012 2:19 am

I sent stuff. I want my Smiley face. |:>

But anyway...a new salad is over a year away. A lot can happen between now and then to any of us. Lets consentrate on making this one awesome. Besides what you've been doing as overseer is just as much work as clip making so don't feel bad.

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Fri May 04, 2012 2:47 am

So I've been having computer problems and currently my machine is en route to CA to get a number of parts replaced. I kept the HD with me since I was not good about backing things up. Will try to submit what we have thus far for the Salad by the 4th.

Sorry for dropping off the map at a bad time.

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Fri May 04, 2012 2:52 am

Warlike Swans wrote:So I've been having computer problems and currently my machine is en route to CA to get a number of parts replaced. I kept the HD with me since I was not good about backing things up.
I know the pain.
Remember two years ago when I almost lost the AMV contest and AMVS4 for AMA when mine melted down about two weeks before AMA?
I have since purchased a external storage (500GB) to avoid losing anything else.
Watch...now that I have everything backed up, this HD will last for the next several years. :P
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
(2020 - 2021)

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Fri May 04, 2012 3:26 am

moonbunnychan wrote:I sent stuff. I want my Smiley face. |:>
(if you watch Metalocalypse)
I'm reminded of the "motivational" episode where the big thing among the band was those banana stickers. :P
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
(2020 - 2021)

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Sat May 05, 2012 3:20 pm

I'm sorry, Deuce, unless you've already gotten started on your edits for the first draft of what we have, please use the ones I posted here for now. I had to spend the last two days reinstalling windows and getting everything updated over like 8 hours. I lost two days to work on stuff...

I've also been called into work twice which slowed down the process even more. I'll get on it though. Even if we're down to the wire, you can trust that I'll tell you what I can accomplish one way or another. Even if I can't do the intro in the long run, I still think the Bi-Winning clip can be adapted for an intro. That or we could surprise everyone with the Mononoke clip. Anyway, options are available, so no panicking ^^
ImageImageImage

SammySamaProductions
Org Profile

Post by SammySamaProductions » Mon May 07, 2012 12:14 am

okay I was playing around with an idea but wanted to run it by you guys first (I thought it was hilarious but unsure as to how many people got it) okay so i've been watching the remake of the thundercats (not to bad IMO from their take of the original) and the idea of taking Liono and putting his whole "now ruler of thundara" bits and the growing up clips together as sort of a quick snippiet/amv to the lion king song "I can't wait to be king" would be down right funny..but wanted to run it by you guys first before i waste editng time on something not destined for lulz.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”