Ask Brad an After Effects Question!

Brad
Org Profile

Re: Ask Brad an After Effects Question!

Post by Brad » Wed May 02, 2012 4:13 pm

I know what you're talking about (at least, I know what you mean when you say, you can drag the effect slider and see it get more or less blurry in real time). I just went through all of the preferences I could think of (project settings, comp settings, AE preferences, OpenGL settings, etc.) and I cannot find anything that would affect this... The only thing I can think of is there's something going on with your computer that's slowing it down? I really don't know man :\ But I know if it were happening to me, it'd drive me friggin crazy.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Animated
Drama Text Cop
Org Profile

Post by Animated » Thu May 03, 2012 8:50 am

Thanks anyway Brad for checking it out. I'll let you know if I find a solution, you may need it sometime in the future (i hope not...)

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Sat May 12, 2012 11:27 am

I'm curious about how some of the effects in the Trust and Betrayal Blu-ray menu were achieved:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c25VtR_H9po

I particularly want to know how to do that canvas-type effect, as well as the paint brush. For the latter, are they just chroma keying in the scenes onto the paint strips?

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Sat May 12, 2012 1:19 pm

irriadin wrote:I'm curious about how some of the effects in the Trust and Betrayal Blu-ray menu were achieved:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c25VtR_H9po

I particularly want to know how to do that canvas-type effect, as well as the paint brush. For the latter, are they just chroma keying in the scenes onto the paint strips?
That looks like a fun one. It's on my record a tutorial list.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Sat May 12, 2012 6:04 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fxP4wKCAv4

I covered the basics of it in a quick offshoot tut I did for someone else a few months back. Main difference is that you'd be working with multiple layers and opacity's of it. And instead of sticking with static brushes you'd use something like fractal noise to create the bleeding fade in.

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Sat May 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Niotex wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fxP4wKCAv4

I covered the basics of it in a quick offshoot tut I did for someone else a few months back. Main difference is that you'd be working with multiple layers and opacity's of it. And instead of sticking with static brushes you'd use something like fractal noise to create the bleeding fade in.
Nice! That helps a bit, but it doesn't look as cool as in the example I provided yet. I don't know how to use fractal noise...

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Thu May 17, 2012 8:28 pm

Irridian if you're still having a hard time I wouldn't mind tossing something together. Your best bet for that exact look is using gray scaled ink swell elements [ink drops in water] that you can use then use as track-mattes. But again if you want I can toss something together with both fractal noise and/or ink elements.

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Fri May 18, 2012 7:28 am

Niotex wrote:Irridian if you're still having a hard time I wouldn't mind tossing something together. Your best bet for that exact look is using gray scaled ink swell elements [ink drops in water] that you can use then use as track-mattes. But again if you want I can toss something together with both fractal noise and/or ink elements.
The only thing I'm not sure about how to do is how to animate the track-matte so that it looks like it's "burning in." Right now, all I'm doing is adjusting the mask path on the matte, and it's too... clean... of a transition. So that's where the fractal noise factors in, I guess, but I don't know how to use it and apply it to the track-matte...

This is what I want to follow, basically: http://i.imgur.com/HRNGB.jpg

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Fri May 18, 2012 7:22 pm

If I have some time to spare I'll see if I can whip something up using fractal noise. I'm using CS5.5 myself atm but as long as you're using CS3 or up it should be exactly the same.

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Fri May 18, 2012 11:10 pm

Niotex wrote:If I have some time to spare I'll see if I can whip something up using fractal noise. I'm using CS5.5 myself atm but as long as you're using CS3 or up it should be exactly the same.
Thanks, that would be awesome, if you have the time. I'm using CS6.

Return to “Effects & Techniques”