AMV Salad 6...next stop: ZENKAIKON

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
moonbunnychan
Org Profile

Re: AMV Salad 6...FIRST DEADLINE - MAY 4!

Post by moonbunnychan » Wed May 02, 2012 5:11 am

I imagine people are like me and having it down to the wire lol. Actually I'd be done right now if I hadn't had to reconvert a lot of source video that somehow come out looking unbelievably glitchy.
Out of curiosity how much do you have time wise right now. Most of my stuff is in the 10-15 second range so I can't say I'll really be filling out the time.

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Wed May 02, 2012 2:11 pm

Based on my clips once they're fully edited and submitted, Warlike Swans' work, and a couple submissions by Boneheimer and Twilight Chrono that aren't posted here, I'd imagine we're somewhere around the 6-8 minute mark perhaps? Don't worry about any of your clips being short or anything like that. Just do whatever you think is funny and the project will be what it is. AMVS2 was like 16 minutes long, 4 minutes of which was the repetition of "The Song that everybody knows" and was solid. It'll surprise some people if we have a shorter project this year, but as long as it's good, so be it.

As for the running gag though, did any of my thoughts above make any sense to you? The Death Star idea is similar to the explosion one, but different enough to not cause any issues. Plus "It's so fluffy!!" was much more popular last year.

That's another thing worth considering. "It's so fluffy" was a line that really worked on audiences during Despicable Me because of its context. It was just a great scene and a great line with a character that had established herself as unbelievably adorable, and so really worked well last year. Any other scenes in recent movies that have given that feeling for people?

I say we give it at most another couple weeks, until about May 15th at the latest. Then make a decision. I think the Death Star one has potential, while also being very simple to pull off. It may not be the best, but it can be executed quickly, and in general fits the bill in that the entire audience can get the joke. We just need to come up with different things that would be absurd to cause the Death Star explosion.

Again, it's on the table right now just to make a decision. I think it has the potential to be decently funny, so it works for a placeholder. Let's get an even better one!
ImageImageImage

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Wed May 02, 2012 4:26 pm

A contributor who sent me something the other day has this to offer and I thought it might work for a gag this year but I'll let you all tell me what you think:

"This is an idea snagged from the youtube sensation "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" and the millions of parody videos that are named "[pony's name].mp4." They all use the same song and the same type of DERP moment. I thought I'd do the same but with an anime."

Examples:
PinkiePie.mp4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xAjpcAfCrg
Fluttershy.mp4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS6UaOeFB6w
Or you can go with the exe route:
RainbowDash.exe - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2pWphmhLGk
TwilightSparkle.exe - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUy7Yj4qsRs (this one made me :rofl: )

Whaddya think?
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

moonbunnychan
Org Profile

Post by moonbunnychan » Wed May 02, 2012 10:45 pm

I think something like those would walk the very thin line between amusing and extremely irritating.

Also I need an opinion. I've got one clip that's goes like "music, record scratch noise, something bad happens". I have another one that follows the same general theme and I think could also be enhanced by the record scratch noise but was afraid it'd make them too similar or too repetitive. What do you guys think?

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Thu May 03, 2012 5:56 am

The My Little Pony clips basically seem like youtube poops minus the cleverness and effort. It's amusing as a concept here and there. The windows crash made me laugh, I admit, but it's mostly sound-based comedy.

Watch the youtube poops I posted and you'll see what I mean.

The record scratches can work, but without seeing them, I can't tell you if they'd be very similar. Since I don't know the concepts though, you could consider thinking outside the box for one of them and thinking of something else that could interrupt the clip instead. Record scratch is a default, but there are other things that can work. Like T.K getting killed cutting off the music for my last one. You can also have someone getting hit with a funny hit noise. Impact is key for stuff like that, so you can get really creative :D
ImageImageImage

SammySamaProductions
Org Profile

Post by SammySamaProductions » Thu May 03, 2012 5:56 am

Deuce Loosely wrote:I updated the list of those editors who have expressed interest / intent and have submitted material at the bottom of the first post of this thread.

Just saying...
... I thought you had gotten the clip I sent you...or does one so far not count for the smilie face :(
ImageImage
ImageImage

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Thu May 03, 2012 6:53 am

SammySamaProductions wrote:
Deuce Loosely wrote:I updated the list of those editors who have expressed interest / intent and have submitted material at the bottom of the first post of this thread.

Just saying...
... I thought you had gotten the clip I sent you...or does one so far not count for the smilie face :(
Sorry...I derped.
I was going by memory at the time.
I fixeded it.

Gael...is this like someone getting hit on the head and hearing a duck quack or wet squish on impact?
Ugh...this running gag thing is a pain.
It hurts to think about, especially since anything I can come up with doesn't work for whatever reason (most of which I don't even talk about from being too vague in the end).
I'm one of those people who can't work with an idea unless it practically writes itself, otherwise it feels and looks forced.
Boredom is usually a creative stimulant for me but the chaos I've been surrounded by in the last few months hasn't let that happen either.

I know I haven't been as present as in previous years and I'm not gonna excuse it with the lack of free time since November due to a job and other obligations.
I also haven't been the motivating element I should be.
I lost the mojo somewhere amid everything and I apologize to the lot of you.

The bottom line is this.
And I'm gonna talk to Scott Melzer about this as well.
I'm not gonna gain my free time back any time soon.
I also don't wanna take the wheel of this project again if I know I'm gonna overextend myself by doing so and certainly don't wanna turn in a half-hearted product because I couldn't devote enough time to it.
My lack of creative presence is also not fair to the rest of you.
For these and other minor reasons, once Otakon passes, I'm stepping down as the lead for AMV Salad's foreseeable future (provided there is one).
Ideally, I'd like to see someone take over and lead this for at least another year but it's up to any of you.
There are but a few of you who have more intimate knowledge and extensive experience on this project and I'd hope one of you would take this on.
I hate to abdicate the position since I did start this over six years ago but nothing is forever and I'm no longer the best-suited to run things.

I'll finish with this year but, beyond that, I'll most likely be better able to contribute to the project.
Again, I apologize for not being here in the capacity I had been in years past.
Feel free to PM me with whatever concerns or questions you may have.
I figured I shouldn't wait any longer to inform you all about what's happening.
Essentially, it's "real life" that got in the way.
I tried to juggle the job and AMV contests / departments and this project.
AMVS deserves better and so do you.

Once I finish my clips, I'll upload and link them for your consideration.
When I get home from work today I'll line everything up and see where we are time-wise.
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
(2020 - 2021)

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Thu May 03, 2012 9:47 am

One thing I forgot to mention.
We can add Zenkaikon to the list of exhibitions this year.
They're showing AMVS5 as walk-in entertainment before Masquerade.
Next year there will be a live screening of ReHeated and AMVS6
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
(2020 - 2021)

krvabo
Org Profile

Post by krvabo » Thu May 03, 2012 4:01 pm

It's a shame to hear that.
If no one is found, you could always start another salad when you've got the time to, instead of every year. Personally I don't have the time for it either, nor am I the best person to lead such a project.

For this year I've concocted a little "4 piece" set, although it might even work better as a 2-piece. (the first and last clip of this WIP).
It is roughly one minute long for the four clips, but it is far from done. The second and third clips are just placeholders for now, and I've left black gaps between them in the video. I'm not really sure about the second and third anyway. The clips could be a 'running gag', but I don't think it's really strong enough for that at this stage. The first clip is basicly a 'base' / explanation why the last clip is funny.

http://sketsi.com/salad/amvs6-wip2.avi (13MB)
ImageImageImage

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Thu May 03, 2012 4:14 pm

Not to worry, we can finish this one up and make it as awesome as we can, and then some of us will meet at the con and discuss its future in person as well. Obviously if it comes down to it, I'll be happy to pick it up so that Deuce can concentrate on his life if nobody else is interested. I've got a lot going on myself, but I love working on these and no matter what, every year, I've made certain to make the time to do what I love. I'm really big on being around and discussing things as it is, so if you guys see audience reactions at Otakon and remember why we do this in the first place, I'm pretty sure we can make a better decision then :D I've never forgotten that first time seeing the 2000-person auditorium laughing at AMVS3 when I first joined, and it's just too addicting.

For the time being, we've got plenty of time to get more taken care of. I'll be making another clip today and tomorrow hopefully another will come together. Don't let Deuce's news dishearten you or anything. I can take care of editing together the project if worse comes to worst, so everything's covered.

Let's just concentrate on making things funny for US. It doesn't have to be forced, just take a deep breath and take a nap asking yourself "What would be funny?" before going to sleep, and often enough, it comes to you :)
ImageImageImage

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”