Need help with this effect! (SONY VEGAS)

Afellay
Org Profile

Need help with this effect! (SONY VEGAS)

Post by Afellay » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:49 pm

Hi everyone, i really need to know how to do this on Sony Vegas. The effect starts from 0:14 to all the way though. Its that blur at the side and all clear in the middle. This video is not AMV just to let you know but I am trying to do something good with it and learn son techniques so here it is (STARTS FROM 0:14):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGgXfZUx ... el&list=UL

Thanks in advance (:

Brad
Org Profile

Re: Need help with this effect! (SONY VEGAS)

Post by Brad » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:03 pm

Unfortunately I can't tell you how to do this specifically in Vegas, but I might be able to lead you in the right direction. The effect is called "Compound Blur" in Premiere and After Effects. How it works is, you have your footage, and then in another layer above it, you have a "blur matte" (you'd need to turn the actual visibility of this layer OFF, if the effect doesn't do that automatically). This matte is a black and white image, where the white-most parts tell the effect which parts of the footage to be the most blurry. Whereas any black areas won't be blurry at all. So if you wanted to emulate this particular example, you would make an image either in Vegas or Photoshop or whatever, with a radial gradient going from black to white, making sure that the black part is fairly solid. Sort of like this.

Using this matte, I can achieve the effect with a look like this.

Now, I don't know if Vegas even HAS this effect or not, or if it does, if it's called the same thing, but that should hopefully get you closer.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Afellay
Org Profile

Post by Afellay » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:27 am

WOW! Than you very much sir. I got what I needed because of you. If there is anyway how I can help you then please do so. I will do my upmost!

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:19 am

A method of doing this in sony vegas is by having a radial blur and having the centre focused.
I would recommend AE like what Brad did though since you have so much more control over what you can do and cant

SuijinReflx
Org Profile

Post by SuijinReflx » Thu May 03, 2012 7:10 pm

Use camera properties to focus only on the middle :up:
Mizu

orianajones
Org Profile

Post by orianajones » Mon May 14, 2012 5:02 am

I do this kind of effect sometimes. What I do is this;
1. Copy the original clip and put it on a different layer at the same place as the original.
2. Use the "Cookie cutter" (Circle cut out, center, blurred) on the top layer
3. Blur the top layer.

I'm not sure if this is the complicated way to do it but I find it easy.

Turmoil
Org Profile

Post by Turmoil » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:04 pm

I see you got the help you needed, but the way I do it in Vegas is duplicate the same clip and put it over top then create a circular mask (you may need to invert it) and make sure you feather the mask, this will give you the gradient effect. Next you add Gaussian blur to the top clip and you will get the effect. You can now change the opacity and feather on the mask of the top clip. Be careful with it though, it can make it look ugly if you overdo it.

Return to “Effects & Techniques”