Post by gotegenks » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:24 pm

that makes me insanely excited :awesome:

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Re: Youtube link slot?

Post by Nya-chan Production » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:54 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:
gote wrote: are we just fooling ourselves and need to realize that the only change any of us will ever see is when this site finally shuts down?

:|

There was a meeting last night.

Updates should follow soon-ish. Just need to iron out some details with the people involved. But let's just say there was insane progress made.
I wouldn't call it "insane", but the things are moving, yep.

Which is always good ^^

The thing you can do? Maybe keep somewhere a nicely laid document of what needs to be done so it's not scattered in forums. I am not sure, but probably the functionality as it is now will be recreated first, but then adding news stuff will happen ^^

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:55 pm

gotegenks wrote:I think "direct links" to youtube are allowed, right?
Why are youtube links allowed under direct links? They're not direct links. They redirect you to another site. That makes them indirect links. Right...?

I know the proposal to have a youtube slot got shot down. But how about updating the FAQ to tell people what "indirect" means so they'll put all their youtube links there instead of posting fake direct links? It doesn't take a lot of coding to edit that page, does it? A simple "links to streaming sites" added before the "all such videos should be indirect" sentence would do the trick. Then we could avoid YT vids by not getting results with indirect links.

If it does take too much coding to edit the FAQ, maybe people can just start telling others not to use direct links for yt vids. It's a little annoying to click a button that's supposed to start a download, only to be sent to a completely different site where you *still* can't download a copy of the vid. I don't like getting streamable-only results when I search for "downloadable" vids. The last direct link I clicked didn't even take me to directly to youtube, it took me to an ad-plastered myspace page where the youtube vid was imbedded. If that's not indirect, I don't know what is. :?

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:09 pm

Arigatomina wrote:
gotegenks wrote:I think "direct links" to youtube are allowed, right?
Why are youtube links allowed under direct links? They're not direct links. They redirect you to another site. That makes them indirect links. Right...?

I know the proposal to have a youtube slot got shot down. But how about updating the FAQ to tell people what "indirect" means so they'll put all their youtube links there instead of posting fake direct links? It doesn't take a lot of coding to edit that page, does it? A simple "links to streaming sites" added before the "all such videos should be indirect" sentence would do the trick. Then we could avoid YT vids by not getting results with indirect links.

If it does take too much coding to edit the FAQ, maybe people can just start telling others not to use direct links for yt vids. It's a little annoying to click a button that's supposed to start a download, only to be sent to a completely different site where you *still* can't download a copy of the vid. I don't like getting streamable-only results when I search for "downloadable" vids. The last direct link I clicked didn't even take me to directly to youtube, it took me to an ad-plastered myspace page where the youtube vid was imbedded. If that's not indirect, I don't know what is. :?
Even better - a built in method for reporting and deactivating bad links (or even a filter in the video entering process that will automatically reject direct links if they go to known indirect locations). With how few people seem to be paying attention, this needs to be handled with a stick moreso than a carrot.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

I Fight For The Users
Org Profile

Post by I Fight For The Users » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:35 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:With how few people seem to be paying attention
Ironic.

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:39 pm

I Fight For The Users wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:With how few people seem to be paying attention...
Ironic.
I think Bashar was referring to the people posting the YT links, not the ones responsible for coding. I honestly don't think these people know what indirect and direct mean. The org FAQ isn't explaining the difference to them and they're certainly not going to learn it at youtube where they just click a button to upload their vids. If the org wants people to use direct and indirect links properly, it'll have to tell them how to do it. And if editing the FAQ requires coding, then a simple sticky thread would suffice. A report button would be awesome, but that would definitely require coding so it's a suggestion for the remodel section. I'm just proposing that the org make its stance plain, in writing, somewhere, that youtube links are indirect links. As long as it's in writing somewhere on the org we can just contact the people ourselves and direct them to that post when we see it happening. Org members have been policing vid entries for years, this isn't any different. If Gotegenks thinks the org allows youtube on direct links, then it's no wonder new members think the same.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:46 pm

I Fight For The Users wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:With how few people seem to be paying attention
Ironic.
I thought the 2nd part of the sentence made it more clear, but yea, I meant the people posting the links aren't paying attention to what they're supposed to be putting in the boxes (it explains DIRECT and INDIRECT). That's why the stick is needed to either delete their bad links until they learn or not allow them to put streaming sites in the boxes in the first place.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

I Fight For The Users
Org Profile

Post by I Fight For The Users » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:43 pm

Your post was absolutely clear.

The out-of-context quote was hijacking this thread to point out that there is one effort (actually, at present, it is the only effort) that has the infrastructure to file and act upon these suggestions; however, no such suggestions ever make it to that infrastructure.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”