AX 2012 M&G: Feedback wanted

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2012 M&G: ATTN Editors!!!

Post by Radical_Yue » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:51 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:
Castor Troy wrote: In the past when I ran the VG Project showings at AX 2004 and 2005, they never sent me an email that I was approved and just had my events listed on the program guide. :amv:

I dunno how AX's current management handles it now.

^ That happens and I murder everyone :D
Or your panel is replaced with Cosplay Comedian Joe's. :ying:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

EVERYTHING. WILL. BUUUUUUUUUUUUUURN.

Ryvannis
Org Profile

Post by Ryvannis » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:19 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:
Castor Troy wrote: In the past when I ran the VG Project showings at AX 2004 and 2005, they never sent me an email that I was approved and just had my events listed on the program guide. :amv:

I dunno how AX's current management handles it now.

^ That happens and I murder everyone :D
Or your panel is replaced with Cosplay Comedian Joe's. :ying:
Let's see how long we will last this time. Maybe we'll break last years record. :shark:

blaku92
Org Profile

Post by blaku92 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:19 pm

It's small, the wait is long, and it's noisy, but if folks are interested in good food, Daikokuya is da bomb. I'm down for anything really, but I hear there's a new curry place called Fat Spoon right next door (never been there). I've never been to an Expo AMV M&G before -- looking forward to it. I won't be shy 8-)

"I've dated uglier girls than you for breakfast."

Kazemon15
Org Profile

Post by Kazemon15 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:05 pm

Interesting 1 min video concept....except, how can we put an example of our work....if our example is...well 1 min anyway? XD

I'll have to think about the video idea....been swamped with school....and trying to finish my AX AMV on time. :P

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:13 pm

Kazemon15 wrote:Interesting 1 min video concept....except, how can we put an example of our work....if our example is...well 1 min anyway? XD

I'll have to think about the video idea....been swamped with school....and trying to finish my AX AMV on time. :P
i picture something simple like the recap videos for competition categories. i'll probably do something like that for mine. if people wanna get really fancy with theirs then all the power to them. it's their video :amv:

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:40 pm

I agree with oitwake being less and less conductive to the group. It was better a few years back but it is getting more difficult.

A note about Yard House though, if they are ANYTHING like when I was handeling this and did it at Rock Bottom and other larger restaurants. They generally want a deposit based on the number of people coming and that deposit is non-refundable. This creates complications as you need PRECISE numbers and if people start not showing up en masse you are hit with a larger bill than you thought. Some restaurants require a set menu too when it hits a certain number (Bucca de beppo did this) which isn't problematic but needs to be taken into account.

You do not want the route where you can get hit with a huge bill you didn't expect. A few of the editors here (I know Nic and Brad are two) can tell you trying to figure out how to compensate for it isn't fun and is really nerve racking.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:57 pm

i heard you ended up paying out of pocket yourself in 2007 because there was a lot of money short for covering the bill :x

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:18 pm

A few of us covered the bills that we were short on. I remember being short at the japanese restaurant in disneyland, bucca di beppo and I BELIEVE Rock Bottom the second time in Long Beach. The first year at the rock bottom went without a hitch as did any year we did it at Round Table Pizza. Thankfully some of the other editors helped pick up where others dropped.

What was happening was any comibnation of three factors.

1. People who said they would come did not resulting in costs due to deposits
2. People left early and either did not pay (once tha thappened)
3. People did not properly compensate for how much a mandatory tip is for a party that large and left early without leaving enough money

It is for this reason I find the oiwake IS useful because it allwos for paying yourself. What you need is a restaurant that allows for large groups but no deposit or aggregate bill. This is EXTREMELY limiting which is what makes it so damn difficult to find groups for this. I know for a fact that Pilkingotn has never had a problem with this at the Cheesecake factory for AWA. They section off a good 1/3rd of the restaurant for the group and all the bills are individual - I don't know if there is one in LA in the area but give that some thought if you can find it because it works exceptionally well in Atlanta.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:09 pm

The Wired Knight wrote:It is for this reason I find the oiwake IS useful because it allwos for paying yourself. What you need is a restaurant that allows for large groups but no deposit or aggregate bill. This is EXTREMELY limiting which is what makes it so damn difficult to find groups for this.
i appreciate hearing you say that. the food at Oiwake may not be worth 5 stars but everything else about them has been very convenient, up to this point.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:42 pm

The Wired Knight wrote:It is for this reason I find the oiwake IS useful because it allwos for paying yourself. What you need is a restaurant that allows for large groups but no deposit or aggregate bill. This is EXTREMELY limiting which is what makes it so damn difficult to find groups for this. I know for a fact that Pilkingotn has never had a problem with this at the Cheesecake factory for AWA. They section off a good 1/3rd of the restaurant for the group and all the bills are individual - I don't know if there is one in LA in the area but give that some thought if you can find it because it works exceptionally well in Atlanta.
Cheesecake factory would be goooodly :Q

Too bad the closest one is 20 minutes away :(

Return to “Anime Conventions”