Encoding in Final Cut Pro X & Compressor

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
amvwizard
Org Profile

Encoding in Final Cut Pro X & Compressor

Post by amvwizard » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:19 pm

I'm not sure how many org users have edit on macs, but I'm definitely new to it. I've been figuring out Final Cut and how it works with compressor. I've yet to come up with a setting under the MP4 format with h.264 compression that looks decent. Obviously there is a balance of file size and the quality of the rendered video.

If there are any org mac users that have a method for Final Cut rendering any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :shark:

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Re: Encoding in Final Cut Pro X & Compressor

Post by Mister Hatt » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:50 pm

Render lossless of some sort, then use a real encoder and not the crap FCP sports.

JonnyPhoenyx
Org Profile

Post by JonnyPhoenyx » Thu May 03, 2012 3:25 pm

Yeah, FCP doesn't play well with mp4 or anything that uses the H.264 codec. You would need to uses compressor or MPEG-Streamclip (my preference) and convert it to another FCP friendly codec such as Apple ProRess 422, HDV, or in rare cases DVC-Pro. This all sounds complicated, but FCP is meant to be used for professional businesses that operate in high capacity files sizes and qualities. So I could make my FMA AMVs, I burned up nearly 600GB in Apple ProRess files. That codec will give you little to no errors during editing.

So, to answer your question: Don't use MP4. Use the .mov container and a codec such as HDV or Pro Res. They take up a ton of space, but you have the best quality and fewest editing issues.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Sat May 12, 2012 12:05 am

You got my PM, but also...
JonnyPhoenyx wrote:Don't use MP4. Use the .mov container and a codec such as HDV or Pro Res. They take up a ton of space, but you have the best quality and fewest editing issues.
True, but you should STILL use a GOOD compressor and encode the video if you want to distribute to web. Trust Hatt, he's gooooood :shock:
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sat May 12, 2012 10:39 pm

Prores compresses fine if you're working with enterprise software and 10-bit 422. But I doubt anyone here has studio masters :smug:

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”