AX 2012 M&G: Feedback wanted

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

AX 2012 M&G: Feedback wanted

Post by Rider4Z » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:57 pm

PANEL - DAY 1 (FRIDAY) @11am-1pm -- ROOM LACC 411

Dinner - Day 0 @7pm is going to be held at Honda-ya in the Little Tokyo MALL (not plaza) at 7pm on Thurs Day 0. reservations have been made in the tatami section of the restaurant so we will be chillin' on the floor with our shoes off (so make sure to wear CLEAN SOCKS!) you have been warned. Bring your laptops for show and tell if you wish, and charge them. I did not check if they have outlets we can use. This little gathering will be completely informal. i plan on drinking :beer: I WILL CHECK ABOUT VALIDATED PARKING.

Hey guys, are we ready for another fun-filled geek meet??? |:> :awesome: :ying:

Yeah i thought so.

Here's the layout of the past, and the plan:
Last year: we had the unfortunate lack of a TV to play amvs like we'd done the last 3 years. It was planned, however last minute things came up and it fell out of our control. I apologize deeply for this, I was as disappointed, if not more, than all of you. And i apologize to Sproth specifically because he chose last year to not bother bringing his laptop.

So this year: we are going to ATTEMPT to take our gathering one step further and make it an actual event at the convention with access to A/V equipment. PANEL HAS BEEN APPROVED!! My preference would be to have it take place in the room where the AMV Panel was in last year. I love the stadium seating <3 perfect for viewing.

Something New: It never fails. Each gathering everyone falls into their clicks and that's where they stay. No new people and faces being met and learned. It's understandable since it gets kinda loud at the restaurant therefore making it difficult to open up to new people. So here's my plan, assuming we'll have access to a large screen I want every editor in attendance to introduce themselves to the entire gathering. "But Rider, that'd be too embarrassing!... :oops:" Yeah, i know. Most of us are pretty introverted and have a hard time opening up for large crowds. .....that's where your editing skills are gonna come in handy :awesome: I am requesting that all of you create a 1-minute (or less) video that represents yourself as a member of the AMV community. Example of this could be splicing together your best known or most proud work. Include your handle(s), awards you may have won, your real name if you wish, whatever you do MAKE YOURSELF LOOK GOOD. Do not be shy! Brag about yourself! You will still be required to step forward so we can all match a face to the videos tho. (it'll make it easier on me at least.) NOW, people will know "oh! so-and-so made such-and-such!" voila! conversation starter! EXAMPLE.
Tech Requirements: mp4 or avi, 1 minute or less, COMPRESSED (being only a minute there better not be anything over 50 megs - use zarxgui for compression if you need to). just shoot me a pm with a link by the 24th of June. any later and you run the risk of me being too busy to get it and then not being shown. i'll let you know if i have any problems.
***in case you're wondering, time restraints won't permit showing entire amvs as your representation. because this will be a scheduled event it won't go on for 4 hours like it did at Oiwake****

The AMV Poster will return!
Spoiler :
Last year's poster
Again featuring screenshots of last year's finalists so study hard if you want to win it!

I also have a new game in mind that may end up being experimental when we actually do it. However we decide to pull it off i'm sure it'll be good and satisfying.

Raffle: As much as i don't want to say it, there may not be a raffle this year :( Don't know if i mentioned before but the majority of prizes were donated by me. And i am short on prizes this year.... BUT!! (there's a but!) I must first find out if we are even allowed to collect money (even if for charity) while inside the convention center. If not, the raffle may be scrapped.

Prizes: There will be games at this event and prizes are needed! I am requesting that if you have anything (new) you would like to donate as a prize then you will get full credit for doing so when given out.

We also have a sponsor that will have a booth in the Vendor Hall!

Oiwake Dinner? Now, assuming that we are fortunate to get a room that accommodates all our demands... >:[ #gameface >>> I've had some people mention that they liked having dinner on day 0 as kind of a con warm up. I'm all for having a relaxed informal gathering of editors (and more) if ya'll are up for it. gimme the word and i'll make a res. OR since we won't need a tv, someplace different? Shoot out your ideas guys, i'm game.
Last edited by Rider4Z on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2012 M&G: ATTN Editors!!!

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:36 pm

I really don't wanna go to Oiwake again since I think the food sucks and it's getting more cramped in there every year.

I'm not sure if there's an alternative to host dinner for a group as large as ours. Maybe we should all pitch in to order shitloads of Pizza.

If we can get that A/V room, I'd love to put people on the spot and introduce themselves. :twisted:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

KagatoAMV
Studio Hybrid
Org Profile

Post by KagatoAMV » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:18 pm

The workshop/panel sign up is available for AX now.
"Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:46 pm

thanks nic.

EDIT: Panel room requested! i asked specifically for the room the panel was in last year.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:40 pm

Castor Troy wrote:I really don't wanna go to Oiwake again since I think the food sucks and it's getting more cramped in there every year.
This

and I approve of the panel room booking.

Can you do me a major favor and post if/when you get it? I put in for 2 panels on the 14th and I'm just waiting around to see if I got 'em or not.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:49 pm

they said an email would be sent out stating whether you're approved or not. when that happens i have no idea as this is my first time requesting a panel room.

if you guys wanna eat elsewhere on Day 0 then i suggest leaving suggestions. i'm open to new places but i'm perfectly coo with Oiwake too.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:27 pm

Rider4Z wrote:they said an email would be sent out stating whether you're approved or not. when that happens i have no idea as this is my first time requesting a panel room.
Yeah, I read that part :P I'm just anxious/excited so I couldn't help but ask lol

Rider4Z wrote: if you guys wanna eat elsewhere on Day 0 then i suggest leaving suggestions. i'm open to new places but i'm perfectly coo with Oiwake too.
I think the main problem we're having is that everywhere is either (1) too expensive and not suited for a large group or (2) too small with yucky food.

If I had any suggestions, it'd have to be for either the Yard House or Trader Vics. Both are still pretty expensive but they're a bit lower on the scale compared to other downtown LA restaurants. Yard House is a bit louder since it's a pub but gives you a good amount for your money, however Trader Vics may be a better option due to their space/non-pumping music/sports.

But yeeeah. That's my two bits. |:>

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:00 pm

Parking at Oiwake is terrible and now that I have a bigass van, I'm not going anywhere near the place. :uhoh:

In the past when I ran the VG Project showings at AX 2004 and 2005, they never sent me an email that I was approved and just had my events listed on the program guide. :amv:

I dunno how AX's current management handles it now.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:22 pm

Castor Troy wrote: In the past when I ran the VG Project showings at AX 2004 and 2005, they never sent me an email that I was approved and just had my events listed on the program guide. :amv:

^ That happens and I murder everyone :D

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:40 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:
Castor Troy wrote: In the past when I ran the VG Project showings at AX 2004 and 2005, they never sent me an email that I was approved and just had my events listed on the program guide. :amv:

^ That happens and I murder everyone :D
Or your panel is replaced with Cosplay Comedian Joe's. :ying:

Return to “Anime Conventions”