What does this need?

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: What does this need?

Post by mirkosp » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:24 am

Both lsb and lsb_in should be false since you're dealing with 8bit footage that you need to give to your NLE.
Never really looked into wmin and subspl, but as far as the other parameters go, you should set mode to 8 or so. Smode=2 is good. Mask is a useful parameter to keep the edges sharper, but as long as you keep thr low it's going to be fine. Rather, take into consideration radius.
As far as steins gate goes, the banding is quite noticeable at times, and would require some intense deband which will harm detail, so you should do a scene-based deband (look into my stRange function; phan's range will also work, but will kill memory usage much more quickly) and possibly aid yourself with manual masks through mt_merge to keep detail safe and only hit on the banding (so you might want to just encode the clips of the scenes you're going to use to lossless to save on filtering time rather than doing this on whole episodes, since you can avoid that).

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:07 am

I almost always don't tweak it. If I need any serious grain or something, there are better tools, and adding too much dither makes it impossible to compress so you may as well just add grain then.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:10 am

You really don't know much about debanding with gradfun3, Mister Hatt, do you? Trust me, adjusting gradfun3's parameters is useful, especially if you aren't going the 16bit route. Before adding grain, it's better to make the gradients smoother, and adjusting the parameters will change what is recognized as banding and how it will get fixed, and results can vary wildly. Grain is good and all, but it can't quite fix banding on its own, at most it hides it partially, and even then you'd have to overdo it to have it actually have an effect, so it really is no solution on its own.

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:23 am

Yeah radius=16
As about mt_merge i looked around but i don't see anything that would help me understand how i can use it in certain situations. Or general usage for example with random mask? So i can get what values are doing or something.
But maybe it won't be that bad? I hope D:
I'm still nowhere near doing this (about 30 seconds of vid lol...) but i guess i can start to learn how to do this thing in acceptable form D:.
Still better than that MMO.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:31 am

Basically you'd be doing this:

Code: Select all

avisource("c:\path\to\your\lossless.avi")
unfiltered = last
debanded = gradfun3(*parameters as needed here*)
strange(500,1000,mt_merge(unfiltered,debanded,imagesource("c:\path\to\mask.png").converttoyv12(),true,u=3,v=3))
This will work from frame 500 to 1000 (both inclusive) and it will only apply the debanding in the areas of the video which are white in the mask. The mask should be otherwise black, to not have any filtering applied, and shades of grey will have a mix of the unfiltered and debanded clips.

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:38 am

:up: Thanks, it makes sense. It doesn't matter where i make this mask if it needs to be color filled , that makes it somewhat more simple :)
Still better than that MMO.

Return to “AviSynth Help”