Ask Brad an After Effects Question!

For all help and discussion relating to visual effects in programs that are not already covered in an existing forum, such as Blender, Particle Illusion, etc., along with discussion about effects theories and techniques.

Moderator: Niotex

Re: Ask Brad an After Effects Question!

Postby Eake4 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:31 am

Can you record a tutorial on how to make a water droplet fall on water with the ripple (anime looking or realistic i dont mind) and also thanks about the space thing :D
Image
User avatar
Eake4
Australian Zeus
 
Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Status: Doing something useless again

Re: Ask Brad an After Effects Question!

Postby Brad » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:23 am

-Eake4- wrote:Can you record a tutorial on how to make a water droplet fall on water with the ripple (anime looking or realistic i dont mind) and also thanks about the space thing :D

I think I can do that, but before I get into recording it, what type of look are you going for? Meaning, do you want it to look like a drop of water is falling onto a piece of footage and the footage ripples away, or is it something closer to what you would see in a real shot? Like, camera looking down at a roughly 45 degree angle, drop falls in from the top of the screen, it ripples out into 3D space. It's a somewhat common looking shot in anime (Ah My Goddess comes to mind)
Image
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site
User avatar
Brad
 
Joined: 20 Dec 2000
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Ask Brad an After Effects Question!

Postby Brad » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:57 pm

New video is up! This time it's Fun with 2.5D!
Image
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site
User avatar
Brad
 
Joined: 20 Dec 2000
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Ask Brad an After Effects Question!

Postby Eake4 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:07 pm

Brad wrote:
-Eake4- wrote:Can you record a tutorial on how to make a water droplet fall on water with the ripple (anime looking or realistic i dont mind) and also thanks about the space thing :D

I think I can do that, but before I get into recording it, what type of look are you going for? Meaning, do you want it to look like a drop of water is falling onto a piece of footage and the footage ripples away, or is it something closer to what you would see in a real shot? Like, camera looking down at a roughly 45 degree angle, drop falls in from the top of the screen, it ripples out into 3D space. It's a somewhat common looking shot in anime (Ah My Goddess comes to mind)

Im kinda needing a shot of about a drop of water falling onto a body of water. Not the footage but just something similar to the 45 degree angle. I havent seen Ah My Goddess but if you have seen Code geass,
Spoiler :
its something like when C.C tells Lelouch her real name but its covered by the water drop
Image
User avatar
Eake4
Australian Zeus
 
Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Status: Doing something useless again

Re: Ask Brad an After Effects Question!

Postby Brad » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:24 pm

-Eake4- wrote:
Brad wrote:
-Eake4- wrote:Can you record a tutorial on how to make a water droplet fall on water with the ripple (anime looking or realistic i dont mind) and also thanks about the space thing :D

I think I can do that, but before I get into recording it, what type of look are you going for? Meaning, do you want it to look like a drop of water is falling onto a piece of footage and the footage ripples away, or is it something closer to what you would see in a real shot? Like, camera looking down at a roughly 45 degree angle, drop falls in from the top of the screen, it ripples out into 3D space. It's a somewhat common looking shot in anime (Ah My Goddess comes to mind)

Im kinda needing a shot of about a drop of water falling onto a body of water. Not the footage but just something similar to the 45 degree angle. I havent seen Ah My Goddess but if you have seen Code geass,
Spoiler :
its something like when C.C tells Lelouch her real name but its covered by the water drop

Do you think you could find a clip online somewhere? Or post it on Youtube? Just so I understand what it is you're looking for.
Image
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site
User avatar
Brad
 
Joined: 20 Dec 2000
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Ask Brad an After Effects Question!

Postby Eake4 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:39 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A81gFIozCsA
The scene at 1:35 Where the water drops down but instead i want to make a realistic one with AE
Image
User avatar
Eake4
Australian Zeus
 
Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Status: Doing something useless again

Re: Ask Brad an After Effects Question!

Postby Brad » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:41 am

Okay. I'll see if I can figure something out
Image
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site
User avatar
Brad
 
Joined: 20 Dec 2000
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Ask Brad an After Effects Question!

Postby Ikore » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:30 pm

Brad wrote:
Ikore wrote:how do I twitch?

Drink lots of coffee.

Image

and thanks for the tutos, much appreciated :bear:
SING! Never mind the words!!!
User avatar
Ikore
 
Joined: 06 Sep 2007
Location: Costa Rica.
Status: Alive

Re: Ask Brad an After Effects Question!

Postby Shui » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:58 am

User avatar
Shui
Shuitcake
 
Joined: 02 Jul 2006

Re: Ask Brad an After Effects Question!

Postby Brad » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:59 am


Be ashamed of yourself. :O
Image
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site
User avatar
Brad
 
Joined: 20 Dec 2000
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Ask Brad an After Effects Question!

Postby Monitor Zombie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:09 pm

I'm doing a parody of the True Blood opening and I was going to try mimicking the title card, but have no idea how to even approach the damn thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxINMuOgAu8 starts @ 1:16
Image
User avatar
Monitor Zombie
 
Joined: 01 May 2005
Location: Boston-ish
Status: Meh.

Re: Ask Brad an After Effects Question!

Postby Brad » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:27 pm

Monitor Zombie wrote:I'm doing a parody of the True Blood opening and I was going to try mimicking the title card, but have no idea how to even approach the damn thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxINMuOgAu8 starts @ 1:16

Nice :) I look forward to seeing it! The funny thing is, I did my internship at Digital Kitchen, and I looked through the project files for the True Blood opening just to get an idea for it. The majority of the project was editorial (Final Cut) with supers. The part you're talking about was actual footage. They had taken some kind of red plastic filament with the title on it and heated it up, warped it, etc.

So unless you're willing to do the same thing and shoot it practically (which, don't discredit as an idea), you're probably not going to be able to mimic it exactly. However, I DO have some ideas on how you could get something along those lines in AE. I'll add it to my list.
Image
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site
User avatar
Brad
 
Joined: 20 Dec 2000
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Ask Brad an After Effects Question!

Postby Shui » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:21 pm

I'm serious this time, I'm wondering if there's an easy way to to make this 'draw lines in 3D' in AE like the rainbow at 02:48 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raiz5MAb98Q
I tried particular, but that plugin wasn't really fit for this kind of thing.
User avatar
Shui
Shuitcake
 
Joined: 02 Jul 2006

Re: Ask Brad an After Effects Question!

Postby Brad » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:48 pm

I can tell you first hand that that effect was done by hand. He just drew the path of her hand, and then went backwards taking parts away from it frame by frame. If I were going to try and achieve this effect using AE, I'd probably turn to Tropcode 3D Stroke, and try to figure out how to make the stroke more "flat" than "cylindrical." I'm sure I'd probably have to do multiple instances of the effect (1 for each color), but that'd be my starting point.

However, in this particular case, if it I knew I had to make it look like that and be animatable, I'd turn to Cinema 4D.
Image
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site
User avatar
Brad
 
Joined: 20 Dec 2000
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Ask Brad an After Effects Question!

Postby Animated » Wed May 02, 2012 3:57 pm

Well, not your typical AE special effects question, but i'll give it a try here (where else...). So, there's a thing that bothers me in my CS5,5 - whenever I try to change a parameter, for example to set the gaussian blur from 0 to 50, I have to stop dragging my mouse to the number i need (in this example to 50), to see the changes that are made in my clip - nothing seems to change in my clip until I stop pressing the mouse's button. If i remember correctly, some days ago those changes were seen instantly as i was dragging the mouse and I didn't have to leave the click button... it's just a nuisance now. Please tell me you understood what i meant |:>
Image
Image
User avatar
Animated
Drama Text Cop
 
Joined: 24 Apr 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Status: Texty :3

PreviousNext

Return to Visual Effects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests